Road construction??

KimJ58

My DH, 2 teenagers, and I will be on the RRI Mariner leaving July 13 and we are planning to rent a jeep on our own to explore Grand Cayman. We live in Orlando (tourists haven) so don't enjoy huge crowds, crowded beaches, long lines, etc. Been there, done that, over it, lol.

We are bringing our own snorkeling gear and plan on driving around and stopping whenever we feel like it. I have researched this forum and think the best places to go are Cemetery Beach and Smith's Cove. What about Eden Rock? Heard this was good for snorkeling. We will be wearing beach shoes, so iron rock/limestone will not be a problem. I read that the beaches with iron rock are best for snorkeling. Does anyone agree with this?

I read on one post that Rum Point is not worth the 45min drive and there is road construction on the way. Does anyone else have any more information on road construction on the island?? It would be a bummer if we ran into that! Any thoughts on our plan or any other suggestions on where to snorkel?

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We must keep the teens happy or nobody is happy, lol. :rolleyes:

There is some road construction on the route to Rum Point. There has been siginificant road works creating a new East-West Arterial Highway adn it is already open though you would not travel on mucho of it ont eh way to Rum Point. The part of it you would travel on will likely be completed by the time of your trip. They are finishing the median and curbing along the stretch of road in Red Bay and have already put up the lightposts.

I am not certain if they will begin the repaving of the road in North Side prior to your trip. Water pipes have been extended along this section of road and the road was temporarily patched until completion of waterworks.

Neither is a hinderance in the slightest in traveling to or from Rum Point.

There is some road construction on the route to Rum Point. There has been siginificant road works creating a new East-West Arterial Highway adn it is already open though you would not travel on mucho of it ont eh way to Rum Point. The part of it you would travel on will likely be completed by the time of your trip. They are finishing the median and curbing along the stretch of road in Red Bay and have already put up the lightposts.

I am not certain if they will begin the repaving of the road in North Side prior to your trip. Water pipes have been extended along this section of road and the road was temporarily patched until completion of waterworks.

Neither is a hinderance in the slightest in traveling to or from Rum Point.

Drew--Thanks for the info!! This will help when making our plans.

Archived