Weather leaving out of Long Beach in May

Victory748

Has anyone sailed out of Long Beach in May before? My mom went out of there in October and said it was pretty chilly the first and last day of the cruise. We are hoping that in May it will be warmer as we are looking to book the Splendor for May 3 or 10. What has been your experience?

Generally, the weather in southern California in May is excellent.

We recently sailed out of San Pedro Harbor over Memorial Day Weekend. As it happened, it rained on our way to the port, but the weather in Ensenada the next day was gorgeous.

The weekend before that, the temperatures were beyond warm. So....no one is going to be able to tell you for certain this far in advance of next May. But May is usually very nice....

Has anyone sailed out of Long Beach in May before? My mom went out of there in October and said it was pretty chilly the first and last day of the cruise. We are hoping that in May it will be warmer as we are looking to book the Splendor for May 3 or 10. What has been your experience?

North of Cabo, in general, all year, there will be northernly winds and currents which will tend to keep the air cool once you get away from the coast. It may be sunny but it will probably be cloudy, especially the farther North your are.

While you're in Long Beach and sailing through the waters off SoCal, you're subject to various weather patterns. You are probably safe to assume that there won't be snow or torrential rain but aside from that, everything else is on the table.

Looking at the most likely scenarios, either there'll be:

• calm, clear moderately warm
  • strongish winds out of the North which will be either very warm or very cold but with clear skies
  • a Marine Layer which will burn off by noon
  • freak weather

The Weather Channel's 10 day forecast will give you a vague idea what to expect and the forecast five days out will be pretty accurate.

Maybe I'll resurrect this thread next May to see how far off I will be.

We sailed out in mid May back in 1990. Mother's Day.

It was COLD that first day out, and FRIGID AND WINDY that last day coming back. It was so bad that no one was out on deck.

And then you hit Mexico, and it's 100 degrees with 100 percent humidity. :rolleyes:

Never did that run again. And then, years later on the internet, reading it's quite common.

I sailed out of San Diego (which is of course pretty close to Long Beach) in April, and it was nice the first day and first full sea day. The last day back got a little chilly toward the end of the day, but overall not too shabby. I've cruised out of Long Beach in October and twice in December, and it was cool the first sea day and a little cooler the last one. You may notice a stronger wind upon returning. But May should be better than any of those months I mentioned. I'd think you will be just fine.

icon7.gif

Archived