Casa de Campo

Was just wondering since RCCL owns Celebrity why this isnt being considered an alternative to Labadee. Are the Voyager class to big to dock their? Just curious looks like a very nice place to stop.

Rick

Norwegian Sea 8/94

Ecstasy 8/96

Nordic Empress 6/97

Imagination 8/98

Carnival Destiny 8/00

Carnival Triumph 7/01

Voyager of the Seas 3/04

Navigator of the Seas 08/07/2004....

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;8;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Seconds Please on the Voyager of the Seas!!!! 02/26/2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;2;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Casa de Campo was very pretty and very boring! I wouldn't think that a Voyager class ship would have any problems docking there, since the Millennium did. However, I gather that RCCL would need to get a reservation and the pier may not be big enough for two ships at one time.

While most people don't care for this stop, I liked it for the shops and art work. Other than that, there was nothing else to do.

Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

It's not boring if you play golf. One of the best courses in the world is there. The Teeth of the Dog course is always rated in the top hundred in the world. If you're a golfer and get a chance to play, it's a must. Pete Dye says he created 11 holes and God created the other 7 right along the ocean. I've heard that some of the fun has been taken away. When we played it, you had to hit your tee shot on 18 over an active runway. I believe the hole has been changed so you no longer do that.

Radiance to Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;14;11;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Jewel of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;12;4;11;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I agree, FO14. Casa de Campo is beautiful but it has a long way to go before it becomes a "destination". It is what Cozumel was about 10 years ago. The pier area is brand new and very nice. A Voyager class ship could dock there. Altos De Chavon was pretty cool. It's a artists village built to look like it was created during the Renaissance. The river that runs below Altos De Chavon is the river they filmed parts of the movie Apocalypse Now.

Like Paul said, it wouldn't be so bad if you golfed.

Hmmm, this is only an opinion, but, we stopped there in November on the Carnival Paradise. We chose an excursion that sounded good, but it was "scary". It was definitely eye-opening and a bit unsettling. You see we chose a jungle safari - wrong! We drove forever and went to a very poor fishing village . .. then on to the sugar cane fields with the Haitian children came running out of the fields begging for whatever you'd give them. Then on to their "rain forest" (which was nice), but to get there we had to drive past a huge Haitian village (no water, electricity, etc.) -- I kid you not, there were kids (dirty, poor) sitting at the side of the road, they ran after our tour truck/bus and one poor child fell - it was sad, we felt guilty, we tried to use this on our kids to show that there is so much poverty and devistation, but it definitely put a damper on our vacation. I don't mean to sound snooty or ungrateful, but it was far from what was expected.

Just my opinion - it was certainly a learning experience.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;11;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

till my Voyage of the Seas

OT - Sounds like our experience with Peat Taylor's man in Ocho Rios. Along with the begging children and vendors, we saw packs of malnourished dogs.icon_frown.gif Really makes you think about how well we have it in the states.

Our tour of the rain forest in Ocho Rios was a drive by. Instead we went into the boonies where we were forced to watch performers and hand our tips. icon_eek.gif We couldn't wait to get back to the ship. In fact, we skipped the shopping part and asked to go back.

I realize from other posters experiences with Peat that we had an unfortunate experience of having a bad guide, so if you have a tour booked with him...don't be alarmed.

Incidentally, the ride to Altos De Chavon was a beautiful drive. We passed resorts and very well to do homes.

Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

Archived