New Smoking rules on Qm2 implemented yet?

transatlantic fan

My thoughts are that as long as smoking remains legal, there should be places provided for smokers.

Non-smokers do and will travel on a ship if there are smokers aboard, particularly if smokers are segregated. That has been established.

Smokers have accepted that isolation and will travel on a ship that has both smoking and non-smoking sections and that too has been established.

But if there is a complete smoking ban, there is not a smoker alive who, I believe, would ever consider boarding a smoke-free ship. What people forget is smoking is an addiction, and not at all a pleasant one to break. It would be nearly impossible for a smoker to travel on a smoke-free ship without experiencing the effects of the withdrawal that accompany quitting smoking. That is certainly not what most passengers would want to encounter on their well-deserved holiday.

By the way, I am a non-smoker--having stopped cold-turkey over five years ago, so I can understand both sides. I felt all the discrimination and heard all of the rude remarks when I did smoke--and now I am sometimes really bothered by the smoke of others. However, I can clearly recall the difficulty and pain of the withdrawal (the fear of the withdrawal is the main reason most smokers continue to smoke). Very few smokers have ever given up their habit because someone or something told them to. It must come from within.

Eventually smoking will become illegal around the globe, I am sure--and at that time smokers will need to give it up, but until then, a total ban of smokers should not be considered. In the meantime a little understanding and consideration for a fellow human being, on both sides, would go a long way in solving the debate.

My thoughts are that as long as smoking remains legal, there should be places provided for smokers.

Non-smokers do and will travel on a ship if there are smokers aboard, particularly if smokers are segregated. That has been established.

Smokers have accepted that isolation and will travel on a ship that has both smoking and non-smoking sections and that too has been established.

But if there is a complete smoking ban, there is not a smoker alive who, I believe, would ever consider boarding a smoke-free ship. What people forget is smoking is an addiction, and not at all a pleasant one to break. It would be nearly impossible for a smoker to travel on a smoke-free ship without experiencing the effects of the withdrawal that accompany quitting smoking. That is certainly not what most passengers would want to encounter on their well-deserved holiday.

By the way, I am a non-smoker--having stopped cold-turkey over five years ago, so I can understand both sides. I felt all the discrimination and heard all of the rude remarks when I did smoke--and now I am sometimes really bothered by the smoke of others. However, I can clearly recall the difficulty and pain of the withdrawal (the fear of the withdrawal is the main reason most smokers continue to smoke). Very few smokers have ever given up their habit because someone or something told them to. It must come from within.

Eventually smoking will become illegal around the globe, I am sure--and at that time smokers will need to give it up, but until then, a total ban of smokers should not be considered. In the meantime a little understanding and consideration for a fellow human being, on both sides, would go a long way in solving the debate.

Hey! We agree! (Bar the penultimate sentence - but that doesn't really matter....)

Is there a way to ensure that my cabin will be completely few of any smoke residue from the previous occupant? (Should I contact Cunard or my travel agent?)

I am asthmatic and can't be around people who have the smell of smoke on their hair and clothing, even if they aren't smoking at the time.

Also, how is the ventilation? Am I going to have to breathe in smoke from people smoking in other parts of the ship.

A non-smoking section in a restaurant is like a non-peeing section in a pool.

Is there a way to ensure that my cabin will be completely few of any smoke residue from the previous occupant? (Should I contact Cunard or my travel agent?)

I am asthmatic and can't be around people who have the smell of smoke on their hair and clothing, even if they aren't smoking at the time.

Also, how is the ventilation? Am I going to have to breathe in smoke from people smoking in other parts of the ship.

A non-smoking section in a restaurant is like a non-peeing section in a pool.

There is no smoking in any of the dining rooms or restaurants... and the cabins, while none are designated smoking or non smoking, appear to have some kind of transformation process where all evidence of smoke disappears. I am not sure now the cabin stewards do this but in all cruise lines they seem to use the same method where the smoke smell is gone before the next passenger arrives.

I hate to break it to you but there are no peeing or non-peeing sections in swimming pools... kids will pee in whatever part of the pool they are in when the urge strikes them.

I dont get up that early ! ;)

:p Gav perefers to shoot his smokers at dusk so he can sleep in. As a former occasional smoker who has no horse in this race, especially after seeing they are now $6.85 per pack, I luckily never smoked before 9 or 10 at night so I escaped execution.

Is there a way to ensure that my cabin will be completely few of any smoke residue from the previous occupant?

No, there isn't. I've only had a cabin that was obviously previously occupied by a smoker before, but this was dealt with by fumigation.

However remember that the more you restrict smoking in the public areas, the more people will smoke in cabins.

I regard this as a good reason to be relatively liberal in the public areas.

You really don't believe that it will become illegal?

I actually don't, for two reasons... one is the loss of tax revenue that the states would not be willing to part with. The other is that states such as Virginia and North Carolina would lose their primary source of income and it could bankrupt their entire economy. Kind of like what may happen in the Middle East when oil runs out.

Yes, you could be right. It kind of makes me laugh though, when a state like Connecticut (which has one of the highest cigarette taxes in the country) keeps on legislating new smoke-free areas. This brings about fewer people smoking which brings about even higher taxes. And round and round we go.

Actually, I quit when taxes were raised, more than five years ago, bringing a pack of cigarettes to $5.00 a pack. I decided right then and there that I would quit and save the money I spent on cigarettes each day, which amounted to two packs or $10.00 a day. The money grew rather quickly, and in the beginning it was important to have it in hand, to maintain my new, non-smoker status. It worked. Now I have nearly fourteen thousand dollars (I've spent some on things that I really wanted) and still counting. I no longer need to pay myself daily, now it is weekly, and when I reach one thousand dollars I put that amount in the bank. It continues to make me very pleased with myself and my decision to quit smoking.

Actually, I quit when taxes were raised, more than five years ago, bringing a pack of cigarettes to $5.00 a pack.

I don't know if you are as old as I am, but did you ever say in high school "if they go to a dollar I am going to quit".... Well, I didn't quit the pack-a-day habit until 1998, and the alcohol-induced occasional smoking a couple of weeks ago :o

I grew up in New Hampshire where cigarettes were dirt-cheap compared to most other places--making it very easy to succumb. I can't remember just how much they cost but, I believe, well below a dollar. I started (quite young) smoking old, stale, filter-less Pall Mall cigarettes found in the bottom of my mother's old pocket book. My best friend and I would wander down to a nearby brook to smoke our cigarettes, and with our heads reeling from the effects of the tobacco, staggered home. Brilliant, weren't we?

:p Gav perefers to shoot his smokers at dusk so he can sleep in. As a former occasional smoker who has no horse in this race, especially after seeing they are now $6.85 per pack, I luckily never smoked before 9 or 10 at night so I escaped execution.

Dam it , my secret is out of the bag ! :rolleyes:

Also i do not wish to disturb my neighbours with Gun shots at that time of the morning. :eek: :D (Also requests for a final smoke before execution are denied on health grounds) that would be inconsiderate. ;)

Gav :cool:

(Also requests for a final smoke before execution are denied on health grounds) that would be inconsiderate. ;)

Gav :cool:

I agree... that is why in the US they swab the needle site with alcohol before giving a lethal injection :rolleyes:

Not kidding, they really do this...

I agree... that is why in the US they swab the needle site with alcohol before giving a lethal injection :rolleyes:

Not kidding, they really do this...

Sadly no lethal injection here, probably why crime is rife in the UK ! :eek:

I agree... that is why in the US they swab the needle site with alcohol before giving a lethal injection

Well you wouldn't want the guy to have to spend the last 0.000376 seconds of his life in hospital being treated for some nasty infection would you?

J

I guess I am mistaken, but I really believed that you people across the pond are not in favor of capital punishment.

Please rest assured that I am completely against capital punishment. Some of the "Daily Mail" set seem to regard capital punishment as necessary for crime reduction, but research in countries where it has been done, not done and then done again shows no correlation between death penalty and crime reduction.

What stops criminals (at least those who can be stopped) is for it to be more likely that they are caught than not.

Archived