What happpens if..

Jolynn2262

you signed up for a shore excursion and there aren't enough people for it. This is probably an unfounded worry, but do they let you know in enough time to change to something else?

I had to really scale back my plans for St Petersburg because I'm recovering from a serious illness and will have to take it easy. Yes, I'll be medicaly cleared for the trip, least I hope so, it's in July, but my energy level is and will be much lower than normal. This resulted in my choosing two shore trips in St P's that probably aren't all that poplular because they are shorter and don't see as much. The half day Hermitage is full so that's good, but my one day tour with Catherine's Palace still shows almost all seats open. I worry that if they cancel the day of the tour I won't be able to find another suitable option. The full on 2 day tour is simply too much for me. The hours too long. Better to see a little than to see nothing is my new motto.

Does Princess wait until the last minute hoping to fill up or give you time to replan?

I'm counting on you Toto. You are the Princess version of wikipedia.

Is there a minumum number requirement posted on the website? If there is, then they can reserve the right to cancel it, but don't forget - a lot of people don't book until they get on board, especially as other excursions more popular might close out if they are full.

You can't go by the website and what it says is available. Often they say 20 available when in actuality seats may be already booked. I think maybe the website doesn't show more than 20 openings at a time, so the 20 would keep repeating until it was totally booked based on the real number limitations.

you signed up for a shore excursion and there aren't enough people for it. This is probably an unfounded worry, but do they let you know in enough time to change to something else?

I had to really scale back my plans for St Petersburg because I'm recovering from a serious illness and will have to take it easy. Yes, I'll be medicaly cleared for the trip, least I hope so, it's in July, but my energy level is and will be much lower than normal. This resulted in my choosing two shore trips in St P's that probably aren't all that poplular because they are shorter and don't see as much. The half day Hermitage is full so that's good, but my one day tour with Catherine's Palace still shows almost all seats open. I worry that if they cancel the day of the tour I won't be able to find another suitable option. The full on 2 day tour is simply too much for me. The hours too long. Better to see a little than to see nothing is my new motto.

Does Princess wait until the last minute hoping to fill up or give you time to replan?

I'm counting on you Toto. You are the Princess version of wikipedia.

JoLynn,

I've had this happen a couple of times (mainly in the Caribbean) and in each case the shore excursion desk gave us plenty of time to book something else.

Having been on the Baltic cruise and enjoyed the thrill of seeing St. Petersburg, I can tell you that there are plenty of options and none of the excursions (in 2006) were cancelled.

With St. Petersburg falling in the middle of the cruise and with all of the tours and arrangements having to be made in advance I don't think you'll have any trouble with rebooking something.

Have a wondeful cruise - I know you will. ;)

JoLynne, the chances are very slim that Princess will cancel these tours -- this is a port that very few people stay onboard and not get off so that pretty much all the tours sell out.

A suggestion, particularly if you're going to the Catherine Palace: get a walking stick that unfolds into a seat. (http://www.magellans.com/store/Health___Personal_Care___Walking_AidsWA222?Args=&refchan=Search) It's very, very hot as you go through the rooms in the Palace and very crowded so that you do a lot of standing around waiting for one group to leave the next room to make room for your group. It's exhausting even for 100% healthy people.

Going through the Hermitage is better since the rooms are much larger but if you want to stop for a minute and admire the paintings or if your tour guide has a lengthy description of the room/paintings, there is no place to sit.

When I was in Russia almost two years ago, quite a few people used these folding seats and it made a huge difference.

This also happened to us this past January on a New Zealand/Aus cruise. Our tour in Melbourne was cancelled and I think we were notified at least 2 days prior to the port day. They stated that not enough people were booked on the tour and they also provided us with a list of other tours that were available that we could take in it's place. At the same time, the charge for the tour was immediately removed from our account on the ship.

Dave

Thank you all. I am doing my best to ignore the fact that I may not be able to go, and just plodding on ahead whlle sheeking other posibilitirs to the sutuaition Thank you all so much of your thoughts and especially to pam with the link for ther stool. That might be just what I need,

I thank you,

Jolynn

Archived