Why don't the beach vendors sell one of these?

hockeystl

Cruise ship passengers are not well liked in many of the ports, I think, because of an "attitude" issue. Maybe you will find a "No Mas" sign one day - facing you as you disembark. Food for thought, eh?

I usually don't get into these "debates" on-line, but I completely agree with GoMexico about the attitude of a few tourists in Mexico who give all of us a bad reputation. The poster who suggested a simple "No Gracias" was right on target. This with a smile and a wave will generate good will and signal that you don't want to buy anything.

The OP doesn't understand Spanish or he would understand that "No Mas" doesn't mean, "No, Go Away". It may help him in a bar if he's had enough beer!

The second poster who thinks it's hilarious and then tells people to have a sense of humor does't realize a key reality. What a person thinks is funny reflects their own personal values....In this case, is making a sign to insult locals in their own country really funny?

I live in California, but have a home in Mexico. The economy is not good there. The residents work very hard to make a humble living. For beach vendors, making $10-20 per day can be the difference between feeding their families and going hungry. It's simply part of the lifestye in the tourist areas to attempt to sell trinkets on the beach.

I would suggest to the OP and his "buddy" that there are many other isolated beaches in the world where they will not be bothered by people who live there. Perhaps they would be more comfortable in a less tourist-oriented area. Why travel anywhere if you don't wish to interact with the people who live there?

One more thing...in my little rant...Having traveled through most of Mexico, I can say that I've always found Mexicans to be most welcoming to me and to other tourists who are respectful of their culture.

I've also done a few cruises down the Mexico coast myself and, for the most part, have found my fellow travelers to be very respectful of the locals.

My two cents!

murphysmum ;)

I usually don't get into these "debates" on-line, but I completely agree with GoMexico about the attitude of a few tourists in Mexico who give all of us a bad reputation. The poster who suggested a simple "No Gracias" was right on target. This with a smile and a wave will generate good will and signal that you don't want to buy anything.

The OP doesn't understand Spanish or he would understand that "No Mas" doesn't mean, "No, Go Away". It may help him in a bar if he's had enough beer!

The second poster who thinks it's hilarious and then tells people to have a sense of humor does't realize a key reality. What a person thinks is funny reflects their own personal values....In this case, is making a sign to insult locals in their own country really funny?

I live in California, but have a home in Mexico. The economy is not good there. The residents work very hard to make a humble living. For beach vendors, making $10-20 per day can be the difference between feeding their families and going hungry. It's simply part of the lifestye in the tourist areas to attempt to sell trinkets on the beach.

I would suggest to the OP and his "buddy" that there are many other isolated beaches in the world where they will not be bothered by people who live there. Perhaps they would be more comfortable in a less tourist-oriented area. Why travel anywhere if you don't wish to interact with the people who live there?

One more thing...in my little rant...Having traveled through most of Mexico, I can say that I've always found Mexicans to be most welcoming to me and to other tourists who are respectful of their culture.

I've also done a few cruises down the Mexico coast myself and, for the most part, have found my fellow travelers to be very respectful of the locals.

My two cents!

murphysmum ;)

Your two cents are worth so much more!!! GREAT post there!!!

I love Mexico, her people and all that it offers and one day will have a second home down there, it just kills me when I read posts like that posted by the OP.

Hi!

Thanks for the good words.

I hope you find the home you're looking for. This is a bit off-topic, but, now is a very good time to purchase Mexican real estate...land or home...if you want something for the future.

No, I'm not a real estate agent or connected in any way to one. I was just impressed with your original post, thankful for the second one and always glad when someone else has the pleasure of making Mexico their first or second home.

Warmest regards,

murphysmum;)

Hi!

Thanks for the good words.

I hope you find the home you're looking for. This is a bit off-topic, but, now is a very good time to purchase Mexican real estate...land or home...if you want something for the future.

No, I'm not a real estate agent or connected in any way to one. I was just impressed with your original post, thankful for the second one and always glad when someone else has the pleasure of making Mexico their first or second home.

Warmest regards,

murphysmum;)

AWWW Thanks :) LOL I have every single PV and area real estate site booked marked on my computer, my dh lives in fear that he will come home one day and I will have bought a condo down there without asking him about it first!!!

I know the prices are starting to fall :D but we are about to put a ds through University so have to wait a few more years!! :rolleyes:

On topic.... Last time we were in Pv we caught the bus up to Punta Minta and had a wonderful day snorkelling out at Meiretta Island, while eating a yummy lunch we were approached by the beach vendors. I said, "No Garcias" but the woman was not walking away slowly, thank goodness!!! as dh saw she was carrying one of the nicest thickest bathmats that has ever rested on my bathroom floor!!! All for 180 pesos !! Not your typical mexican blanket (which I love and have in almost every color scattered throughout the house)!!

Sometimes one shouldn't be so quick to shoo the beach vendors away!!!

The second poster who thinks it's hilarious and then tells people to have a sense of humor doesn't realize a key reality. What a person thinks is funny reflects their own personal values....In this case, is making a sign to insult locals in their own country really funny?

Thanks for being so quick to judge others.

And thanks for putting words into my mouth that were never there. :rolleyes:

Calm down and learn how to read.

Nobody made any signs.

Nobody ever intended to.

I laughed and I'm over it.

Furthermore...I never said "it's hilarious" OR told anyone to "have a sense of humor" about it.

I think we can see who really missed the "key reality" here.

I love Mexico as much as anyone else here, and visit it on land and sea vacations, so your beef is not with me.

The original post made me laugh because it reminded me of some past experiences there.

That's all.

No harm...no foul.

:rolleyes:

Your comments were, and are, offensive - and I sense you knew that when you made them. Intelligent people will understand who/what you are. I subscribe to the policy of not support racism or intolerance.

I would never hold up such a sign - but I don't see how what anyone has said is racist or intolerant. I can say no thank you and I do - but it gets very old when someone is pulling you into a shop or following you around after you have said no. Lighten up just a little.

Whew, I think a few people can use a couple cervezas to take the edge off. I'm guessing some didn't see the smiley face at the end of my post.

I actually thought the :D at the end of your first post was a thin attempt to make the racist undertones of what you said a little softer.

I was hoping I was wrong but judging from your other posts I don't believe I am.

I actually thought the :D at the end of your first post was a thin attempt to make the racist undertones of what you said a little softer.

So anyone who is laying on the beach and doesn't wish to be bothered by vendors is a racist? I learn something new about this cruising culture everyday.

And, to elaborate, my posts are racist in nature? I've made (6).

One was asking a question, one was a very POSITIVE mini-report of my cruise to Cabo/PV/Mazatlan and a couple others dealt with the fact I saw drugs for sale on the beaches.

Someone has a bit too much time on their hands and must enjoy conflict a bit too much....

I don't see how what anyone has said is racist or intolerant. I can say no thank you and I do - but it gets very old when someone is pulling you into a shop or following you around after you have said no. Lighten up just a little.

Thank you morris. Very well stated.

I was hoping I was wrong but judging from your other posts I don't believe I am.

Racism: "a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others."

I have found that those whom raise the racist flag first are they themselves racist or simply don't have a full comprension of racism. I read the first and second post and have problems trying to figure out as to how those could be defined as racist.

I am American of Mexican decent whom grew up on an indian reservation. I have seen racism and the original and subsequent posts simply don't fall into that category.

• 4 weeks later...

Just as an attempt to inject a little levity here, I would like a "no mas" sign at work. Because I really can't take "no mas". BTW, I do speak spanish, and usually if you say no mas people understand what you mean. I honestly don't think the original poster was trying to be offensive or racist. Insensitive? Probably. But remember, sometimes things posted or emailed sound a lot different in context than orginally intended.

Ah yes, I have repeated "no me moleste, por favor" a few times as I remember. I used to love to shop/drink margaritas in TJ, until it stopped feeling like a safe place to go. Another word to the wise; If you're really not interested at all in buying something, then don't look at things. My mom got chased down a street for blocks by some poor guy trying to sell jewelry. But she acted really interested, negotiated, then changed her mind. It would confuse anyone.

Archived