Mobile Port: What time to arrive? Seems hit and miss?

Toddcan

We are leaving on the Carnival Holiday ship on Aug 25th. I've read many reviews in the review section and read posts here in the forums, and am confused over what time to arrive at the port?

We are driving our own car and will be arriving in Mobile on the 24th and staying in a hotel. Our goal is to get on the ship as soon as possible. So, what time should we drive over to the parking area?

I've read some people arriving at 10:50 am , parking and getting on the ship by 11:30am. (This all seems very early to me).

I've also read that others have arrived at the parking lot at around 11am, but the gates were not yet opened, so all these cars were sitting there, or told to park at some underpass until the gates to the parking area opened at NOON (which seems very late to me).

So, what time should I arrive. I know Carnival has a suggested arrival time, but I'd like to be ahead of the crowds. BUT.. I would really hate sitting there in line for an hour too.

Question: If I park at some offsite lots, and take a shuttle in, do the shuttles go through the same parking lot gate? If I take a shuttle in, will I get onboard quicker is what I'm asking ;)

I fear that not enough people come to this forum, so my guess is I will not get a good sampling of data to really have an answer. But, I will ask anyways :)

Thanks in advance!

We are leaving on the Carnival Holiday ship on Aug 25th. I've read many reviews in the review section and read posts here in the forums, and am confused over what time to arrive at the port?

We are driving our own car and will be arriving in Mobile on the 24th and staying in a hotel. Our goal is to get on the ship as soon as possible. So, what time should we drive over to the parking area?

I've read some people arriving at 10:50 am , parking and getting on the ship by 11:30am. (This all seems very early to me).

I've also read that others have arrived at the parking lot at around 11am, but the gates were not yet opened, so all these cars were sitting there, or told to park at some underpass until the gates to the parking area opened at NOON (which seems very late to me).

So, what time should I arrive. I know Carnival has a suggested arrival time, but I'd like to be ahead of the crowds. BUT.. I would really hate sitting there in line for an hour too.

Question: If I park at some offsite lots, and take a shuttle in, do the shuttles go through the same parking lot gate? If I take a shuttle in, will I get onboard quicker is what I'm asking ;)

I fear that not enough people come to this forum, so my guess is I will not get a good sampling of data to really have an answer. But, I will ask anyways :)

Thanks in advance!

I can only share my experience but here it is...we generally arrive between noon and 1PM and still have plenty of time to walk around the ship, go to our cabin, get something to eat, and get settled with a cocktail before sail away. It's not a large ship...you can explore the whole thing in a half hour. The embarkation process runs very smoothly...you're not in line very long at all. Again, it's not a large ship so there aren't hordes of passengers and the port crew is very efficient. The terminal building is new, nice, and air conditioned so I don't think you're going to hate the experience.

I don't think you'll get onboard any quicker using a shuttle service. Everyone goes in through the same entrance. You enter the building on the ground floor in the parking garage and then go up to the second floor to go through the security screening and then on to the check in line. Parking at the terminal could not be easier. You can drop off one of your passengers and all of the luggage right at the door, then go park the car and come back to the terminal building.

We just sailed on the Holiday. Drove our car and parked in the parking deck. Arrived at 11:30, but had to wait until 12:30 before they allowed anyone to park. I believe that it is truly hit or miss. Depends on the time that they clear out everyone from the cruise debarking.

Thanks for your responses. I am looking for more experiences from other people. Sounds like it truely it hit and miss. If I understand correctly, the person just above me in this thread could not even get into the parking lot until 12:30? or was that when they let you on the ship?

I am looking at what time they open the parking gates, allowing cars into the parking lot.

Thanks in advance!

I've sailed the Holiday twice with two more cruises booked on her this year -

December 2006 - Arrived at the port about 10:30 - embarkation went very smoothly, onboard by 11:15 -

December 2007 - Arrived at the port about 11:00 - noticed that the ship appeared to be moving and there were people on the top deck - met by Carnival personnel at the parking garage who directed us to the parking area under the interstate. Very soon, Carnival personnel circulated among the cars in the parking area to let us know embarkation would be delayed until 3:00pm or so. Fog and a medical emergency the previous evening had delayed the arrival - We were offered $15 OBC per person to get lunch in town. We could leave the parking area if we wished, but our car was already boxed in by this time. Carnival personnel set up tables and did all the preregistration they could, without computers. When we were finally let into the parking deck at about 2:30, things were a little chaotic as everyone tried to rush into the deck at once. When we pulled in to unload our luggage, I was reaching into the trunk to pull out one of our bags, when a porter said, "Step back, ma'am, your vacation starts now." Some folks were rudely pushing their way into the terminal, but after we made it into the terminal, the whole thing moved very smoothly. Because we had pre-registered in the parking lot, we were directed into a shorter, fast-moving line to get our Sail&Sign cards and room keys, we had our picture made and were onboard with a drink of the day within 30 minutes. Carnival handled a difficult situation very efficiently! And we found the $15 was automatically credited to our account as a nice bonus -

For our September cruise, I am going to try to check to make sure the ship arrived in port on time - if so, we'll head to the terminal about 11:00 -

Thanks for your responses. I am looking for more experiences from other people. Sounds like it truely it hit and miss. If I understand correctly, the person just above me in this thread could not even get into the parking lot until 12:30? or was that when they let you on the ship?

I am looking at what time they open the parking gates, allowing cars into the parking lot.

Thanks in advance!

They will allow cars into the parking deck when all cars from the previous crusie have cleared out - so it may vary -

Someone brings up a very good point!

If we watch for when the Holiday comes into port that morning, we will get a good idea if we will be able to go to the port by 11am or so.

I think the scheduled time back in port is 8am.

So, the obvious question: We are staying at Microtel hotel in Daphne, which is on the east side of the bay. How large is the bay? Will we be able to see to the west side (ie, will we be able to see the Holiday coming back into port?)

Thanks again!

Someone brings up a very good point!

If we watch for when the Holiday comes into port that morning, we will get a good idea if we will be able to go to the port by 11am or so.

I think the scheduled time back in port is 8am.

So, the obvious question: We are staying at Microtel hotel in Daphne, which is on the east side of the bay. How large is the bay? Will we be able to see to the west side (ie, will we be able to see the Holiday coming back into port?)

Thanks again!

I drive from Spanish Fort (just north of Daphne) into Mobile every morning and I can see the Holiday from about midway across on the Causeway. You won't be able to see the Holiday from the Microtel...it's across Highway 98 from the bay...not sure if you could see it if you went across the street to the Hampton Inn but it may be worth a try. It's about 8 miles across the bay from Daphne to Mobile.

Barring any medical emergencies or hurricanes, there shouldn't be any delay for arrival of the Holiday on August 25th...no fog to worry about that time of year. I'm hoping that it's not delayed coming in because I'll be on it and I have to go into work after debarkation...LOL.

I got to the port about 10:30 when i got to the gate the police officer told me to go to town and have breakfest and come back at noon because imagration was doing a check of all crew they bring them off the ship check paperwork and then let them back on ship to debark passengers i came back about 11:15 and they were letting people into the parking garage .I was on the lido deck by noon having my first drink if you get there about 11:30 you should have no problems getting right on

Archived