New Port Opening Date Released

Island Marketing Cayman

A new Port opening date has been released by the Cayman Islands Government, the date, even though tentative at this time has been set to October 29th, 2004.

On first week of November the Port Authority will allow 2 to 3 Ships to visit our Island, moving the number of allowed Ships to 4 to 5 the second week of November.

A Logistic Subcommittee met 2 days ago to establish an operational capability report. Sectors included duty free stores, restaurants, merchants, transportation providers, land and sea tour companies, boat operators etc

Representatives from the Port and Royal Cayman Islands Police also discussed issues such as traffic, land and sea tour operations, island and underwater clean-up efforts and tour and taxi operators staging arrangements. The meetings are ongoing, with additional meeting scheduled for the 13th and 14th of October.

Thus far it looks as most Ships will be arriving as expected for the exception of perhaps one or two scheduled ships for the week, at this time we do not know which ships will be allowed to anchor and which ship will not, or how the decision will be met to that effect.

We will advise further as soon as the criteria or confirmed arriving ships have been stated.

Matteo

We leave on the Conquest October 31st! I really, really, really, hope that the Conquest is one of the ships to be allowed back that first week!:D But if we are allowed back, how do I know if Soto's is up and running and ready for us? I still have not heard back from them and don't know if they're operational yet. We have reservations with them, will they still meet us at the pier if we get to dock there? Could you get a message to them that they have some very antsy customers at Cruise Critic that need info.? We didn't plan on spending much when we were in GC originally. But now that you guys have been hit by Ivan and need our support, this family of 4 will definitely do some extra spending if we get to go there!:) I love to shop and now I have a good excuse to do it! He-he-he-he!!!:D

i'm sorry but i for one am not thrilled about going to gc so quickly - don't you people understand this island was devastated???? There are still people that have no where to live!! Don't get me wrong I was looking forward to going back on our 11/14 cruise on Jewel - we went in 97 and it's a beautiful island. I just don't see how people could get so much enjoyment out of the few attractions that will be available when so many over there are still so needy. I know, I know they depend on tourism for money - but I think there are many other issues which some people aren't thinking about - only being selfish. It will take years for gc to be restored to what it was. give them a chance. From some of the articles I've read in the cayman newspaper as of last week there was still no access to the east end - what does this tell you??? I think we should be patient - go ahead and blast me I know it's coming but this is my feelings!!! Don't mean to offend anyone -

s

t

7nucruisers, there's nothing wrong with you posting what you feel. I know that there are people without homes and some areas of the island are without service. And yes, there are needy people there too. But what can we do? Are we supposed to get angry? Should we get upset about going? Are we supposed to be outraged that cruisers will be back pumping money into their economy so they can get back on their feet? :confused: I have been following the Cayman Islands and their recovery efforts ever since Ivan hit them. I have read on Cayman island websites where the locals have posted that they are worried sick that they will lose their businesses due to no cruise ships and no tourist dollars.:(

You say "give them a chance," well, we are! We are giving them the only thing we can give them right now- our tourist dollars. If tourists don't start coming soon, many of these mom and pop businesses will go under, they need us badly! We are doing the only thing we can right now to help them and that's by going there and spending money. I can understand your feelings of worry and concern for them, I feel the same way too. I just don't understand your anger that's directed at the very people who can help the Cayman Islanders. The feelings of worry and concern I understand completely, the anger is beyond me. I have no idea why you feel anger toward anyone posting here. I don't mind your post, we are all titled to an opinion and I would be the last one to flame anyone. I just don't understand the anger in your post. Why be angry?:confused:

Thanks Matteo! I, for one, will be thrilled if we go to Grand Cayman on Dec 11. The stingrays excursion is what made me choose the Western Carib itinerary to begin with. I had resigned myself to the possibility of missing this port, but would have been disappointed regardless.

cruizinqt - i'm so sorry to have come across as angry - that's not what I intended - sorry! and I do understand what you're saying about tourists helping keep some businesses afloat and you're are so right - didn't look at it that way really! I guess where I was coming from is that my dh and I just would feel so guilty "swimming with the rays" "snorkeling" and generally having a blast while some are still struggling to get their lives back - but I guess if we go there we could just do some shopping or dining or even try to make some sort of "donation" to the hurricane restoration. I think I was just upset with some of the folks who just care about getting back there to do whatever, not thinking of what's really going on - oh, well it will all work out. thanks for your reply and again, sorry to have come across as angry.

I guess I overlooked an attitude if there was one.

If allowed to stop there, I plan on overtipping everyone. And I don't mind if they hand out mesh sacks for me to help clean the reefs while snorkeling.

I'll probably find something to buy that I really don't want, if allowed on land.

Just as the announcement has given some hope to the immediate future cruisers, I think seeing the tourists return will give hope to the people trying to pick up the pieces. It will also serve as a diversion from all the badness they are going through right now. No doubt some islanders may resent seeing the tourists, but I think the sooner tourists are allowed back in, even if in smaller numbers, the better it is for the Caymans.

I suspect tourism is way off in the other Cayman Islands, even though they are open for business (mostly) and may be the vacation packages someone else referred to.

Cruisers don't really spend that much much when compared to land based tourists, but as pointed out earlier, don't tax the infrastructure and items such as food, water, and electricity as much, either. But it's a start.

Kyminia, You sound pretty sure of your answer, and actually if we can't go to GC I had wanted the extended time in Aruba, I'm sure Celebrity struggled with what to do and finally made a decision to publicize the new itinerary. Now with today's information that the port could reopen on 10/29, I'm concerned that Celebrity could change their mind again and stop in Georgetown.

Do you have a source for your information and an opinion if it could change again.

Thanks.

The ship was going to leave on Wed at 4:00 PM now it is staying until just after midnight 1:00 AM Thu.

signman I wish! Was going at one time (in a CC) but with three kids 14 days was too long with school in session. But have a lot of friends onboard and will have them go to the thread.

As I understand how this would work, once Grand Cayman sets a date for cruise ships to return, the cruise lines (and more likely the insurance caririers) will also want to inspect and assess availability/safety/liability and other issues. There is more than one hurdle to clear. Hopefully all will go well, but each phase is going to take some time - I just hope not too much time.

I guess it will be nail biting time for me for a while longer - it's going to be close!

Someone posted earlier on this thread asking about Sotos. Here is some info from a week or two ago.

Someone phoned them and were able to get through. The following is their report on that conversation.

"They are there and the boats are fine. They said they will be ready whenever the cruise ships return.

They indicated that the sandbar is still there as are the stingrays and that both Soto's cruises and the stingrays will be delighted to welcome the cruise ships whenever the government allows. They want and need the business/food (depending on which group you ask).

There was a fair amount of damage to the reefs from the Ivan.

They don't currently have email which is why they aren't replying and know that that is a problem.

There are still electricity outages and quite a bit of damage that needs to be repaired/cleaned up before anything like an island tour could happen - maybe by next month, but the lady on the phone really had no information on any kind of a firm date. But once again, they want and need the cruise ships and tourists to return ASAP."

Archived