first Celebrity cruise...

sprog

I'm trying to plan my honeymoon for next year and thought about doing a cruise. I've been on about a dozen cruises, but only on Carnival and Disney. My fiancee has only been on a couple of 4 or 5 day Carnival cruises with me. I thought I'd splurge a bit and take her on a real pleasure cruise. I see a couple Celebrity Caribbean cruises that look interesting, but what kind of different cruise experience can we expect with Celebrity? Any other Celebrity honeymooners out there? How was your experience? I've been wanting to do another cruise line for a few years, but we only have Carnival for the most part here in New Orleans. Also, as a New Orleanian, cuisine is very important to me. How is Celebrity's food? Sorry for all the questions, but thanks in advance for any wisdom you can leave me.

Bobby

43 yrs. old

New Orleans, LA

I recently did a Transatlantic on Celebrity Century for my honeymoon and had a great time. I previously had done Royal Caribbean 3x and Holland America one time. I found the food on Celebrity to be a step up from Royal Caribbean. The experience is more of a relaxing one than an active one as compared to Royal Caribbean (i.e. less activities on board such as rock wall climbing, ice skating etc. and the other passengers on average tend to be older and go to bed earlier). If you are looking for an adventurous honeymoon where being active and staying up late is top priorirty, you may want to look into Royal Caribbean or sticking with Carnival. If you want a slightly more upscale, but more sedate honeymoon then Celebrity is an excellent choice. Don't get me wrong, there still are a lot of activities on Celebrity, but not nearly as many as on Royal Caribbean and more of them are geared towards an older audience than on Royal Caribbean.

I am a fan of Celebrity but think that the food is fairly standard stuff. There are some nice appetizers in the main diningroom but the main courses were just like you would get on Carnival- nothing really inspired.

However the food in the specialty restaurants on Celebrity is really good (there is a $ 30 surcharge per person) but you will get really fine dining there. We really loved the Olympic restaurant on the Millenium. It is called different names on the other ships.

Also the spa cuisine (free of charge) is excellent.

The reason I like Celebrity is for the sophisticated feel. The ships are less crowded. They give you the champagne on arrival, sorbet by the pool, cool towels and water at the tendering stations. Things like that.

Of all the lines I have tried, I have enjoyed Celebrity the most.

Archived