On board activity ideas - let's make a list....

jnmrlk

what was the horse racing every-one keeps talking about?????????

Horse racing was a cruise activity that was commonplace on most cruise ships back in the '80s and '90s. It might still be found on some ships nowadays but NCL dropped this activity at least five years ago.

Basic horse racing works this way:

Set in a lounge or on the pool deck, there are six designated horses (actually, each is a passenger holding up a numbered sign indicating which horse he is - Horse No. 1 thru Horse No. 6). A "racetrack" is set up - it's actually a series of spaces blocked out on the floor. Let's say there are 15 spaces from the start of the race to the finish line. The staff member overseeing the race (usually the CD) rolls a set of big dice. If, for instance, the dice comes up 3-4, Horse #3 and Horse #4 both get to advance one space. The dice are rolled until one of the horses crosses the finish line.

Now, to spice it up, basic horse racing is often turned into a Kentucky Derby (or Big Race) activity. First, there is a horse auction early in the cruise. Six horses are auctioned off to passengers (or syndicates of passengers). I've seen horses auctioned off for as much as a couple hundred dollars. Let's say the six horses are auctioned off for a total of $1000. The $1000 is now used as the "purse" or payoff for the winner of the Big Race.

Between the time of the auction and the actual running of the Big Race, each syndicate of horse owners gets to name and decorate its horse. The horse is usually a broomstick-size stick with a horse's head attached. During the course of the cruise, the syndicates gets to parade its horse throughout the lounges and dining rooms, drumming up interest in the race and supporters for their horse.

At the Big Race itself, all passengers are allowed to bet on the race, usually in increments of a dollar. Based on the betting patterns of the passengers, the odds are set on the six horses (similar to how parimutuel betting works at a real racetrack). Each horse is introduced by a representative of the owner's syndicate, usually giving a humorous bio of the horse, how it was named, etc. Then, the race is run, with the syndicates cheering on their horses (hoping to win the $1000 purse) and the passengers cheering on the horses that they bet on.

Typically, the second place (place) and third place (show) horse owners are awarded consolation prizes (e.g., bottle of champagne).

I've always had loads of fun with horse racing, both as an owner (won a decent purse on a Princess cruise) and just betting on the race. It's fun for participants and onlookers alike.

Most of what many of you wrote is part of NCL-U under the Freestyle 2.0 rollout. This includes the dance classes, the digital camera classes, mixology and food seminars.

Some sailings have the port lectures but not all (NCL call me...I can help you here)!

I agree on bringing back the horse races. Tons of fun and lots of laughs. A competitive line years ago did a horse auction one evening after a show or bingo or something. Passengers bid on six horses. Winners spent the next day naming, decorating and training their horses for big breeders cup race the second day later. Passengers could post signs, carry their horse around the ship, got people psyched to attend their breeders cup race.

Before the breeders cup race, they had four or five other races with regular race horses that both the ship and passengers made money on. Passengers also bet on breeders cup race. Of the the horse owners, the winning horse won the winnings from the auction. Of course, before the big race, the owners had to get up on stage and tell a little story about their horse and why passengers should bet on theirs. It was hilarious and the entire family can play.

Another idea not mentioned is why not have the nightclub open on a rainy day at sea or when a port is missed? An easy move would be to bring out the DJ or some of the musicians. NCL could go further to promote it as a wedding party. Have the Captain or officer or CD director renew vows...either in a serious way OR in a funny and entertaining way. Might get more people to use the bar.

coka

Do you know if the new NCU-U freestyle rollout will be on all NCL ships??

That is very exciting to know - still up i the air about next yrs family cruise and knowing that more would be available for the day would be a plus for us leaning toward NCL.

Do you know if the new NCU-U freestyle rollout will be on all NCL ships??

That is very exciting to know - still up i the air about next yrs family cruise and knowing that more would be available for the day would be a plus for us leaning toward NCL.

Yes, based on the explanation given last December. NCL-U is part of freestyle 2.0.

A Cruisecritic from the recently Dawn posted all the Freestyle Dailies. As I read through them, I saw all the highlighted NCL-U activities and many were what the above posters discussed.

coka

I love the mask idea as well as the "dancing for dummies" idea. If the dancing for dummies didn't help, I could still dance wearing a mask, and no one would know it was me!:)

ROTFL - I love that idea!!!

How about a class in the proper way to cook a hot dog since so many on these boards have their favorites - perhaps this could lead to a cruise critic hot dog recipe book which would make an excellent father's day gift.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY EVERYONE!

Cheers

Dennis

Archived