Help please..what to do when we call at GC?

Rylisal

We were all set to call at Costa Maya but our itinary has changed now to Grand Cayman so we need a little advice please!

We're a family made up of myself & DH and our 2 boys age 3 & 14 yrs plus my parents who are 75+!!

What can we do/where can we go that is something for all of us?

DH is a keen diver so I'm sure he's very happy to be going to GC but I'm just not too sure what the rest of us can do there all together!

Shopping is good for Me & my mom but i know the boys & grandad will hate that!!

Any suggestions please?

This would only take part of your day but my 5 year old and I did one of the semi-sub tours through DCL on our DCL cruise last Oct. 2007 and that is a lot of fun. It is a good way to see the reef and the fish without getting wet. A semi-sub looks like a boat on top - you climb down a short but steep ladder to get to the sub part below the boat.

This is one excursion you could do on you own as the semi-sub we did was right next to the DCL tender drop-off (literally - you look to the right and there it was as you face the island).

That is a short trip though - like 2 hours max. As for the rest of the day - if Dad is around he could take the boys and grand-dad to a beach and you and grandma could go shopping.

Another family on our cruise went to the Boatswain Turtle park and really enjoyed that too. There is swimming there in a pool: http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky/

We are sailing DCL on one that was also going to Costa Maya and was changed so I'm trying to figure out GC myself!

We just got back and did a great tour. We had a group of 6 of us ranging in age from 6 to 76. We did the nutshell tour with cayman in a nutshell. Dennis was our driver. He was wonderful. I cannot say enough good about this tour. We went to stingray city. There 4 of us got in the water with the rays. Grandmom and my 6 yo stayed out and watched. Afterward we went snorkeling for a little while. (again grandmom and youngest stayed in the boat but enjoyed watching us). Then it was back to the bus where we headed over to the turtle farm at Botswain's beach to see the turtles. Everyone enjoyed holding and feeding the turtles. After that, we stopped at Hell, which was quite enjoyable. Then we headed to a nice restaurant on 7 mile beach where we enjoyed a tasty fish or chicken lunch before heading to the rum factory to sample rum cakes and return to the cruise dock. It was wonderful. There was something for everyone. I highly recommend it.

I defintiely recommend going to StingRay city with Mobydicktours.com they are great and only cost $35 per person, this includes a very good amoutn of time at stingray city,, snorkeling time, juice, bus, ride and boat ride. They meet you right at the pier, and have a great staff. I've went with them before and will be using htem again in August when I take my daughter

who did you book thru--and how much was it and how long did it last?

The tour company was Cayman in a nutshell (caymaninanutshell.com). Our tour was 5 1/2 hours and included lunch, all snorkeling gear, admission to the turtle farm, everything. We paid $79 pp.

• 2 weeks later...
We just got back and did a great tour. We had a group of 6 of us ranging in age from 6 to 76. We did the nutshell tour with cayman in a nutshell. Dennis was our driver. He was wonderful. I cannot say enough good about this tour. We went to stingray city. There 4 of us got in the water with the rays. Grandmom and my 6 yo stayed out and watched. Afterward we went snorkeling for a little while. (again grandmom and youngest stayed in the boat but enjoyed watching us). Then it was back to the bus where we headed over to the turtle farm at Botswain's beach to see the turtles. Everyone enjoyed holding and feeding the turtles. After that, we stopped at Hell, which was quite enjoyable. Then we headed to a nice restaurant on 7 mile beach where we enjoyed a tasty fish or chicken lunch before heading to the rum factory to sample rum cakes and return to the cruise dock. It was wonderful. There was something for everyone. I highly recommend it.

We are interested in Cayman in a Nutshell however we arrive in port at 7:30 and the tour is at 8:30. Do they wait for you? This does not seem like that is enough time to get off the ship and to the tour.

We are interested in Cayman in a Nutshell however we arrive in port at 7:30 and the tour is at 8:30. Do they wait for you? This does not seem like that is enough time to get off the ship and to the tour.

That is basically what we had. It was plenty of time. Our guide met us right at the port. To be sure, I would contact them and ask, however, I think you will be fine.

Archived