Pensacola to Mobile transportation?

irisheileen

I'm considering cruising from Mobile because Carnival goes to Calica, and it seems that for the 5 of us, it's $400 cheaper to fly into Pensacola the day before and stay overnight. We are "treating" so I'd like to save as much $$ as possible:o

It looks like about a 1 hour drive on a weekend.

What kind of transportation is available for our party of 5, other than renting a car? Is there a limo service, etc?

Would flying into Biloxi be any better? Cheaper transportation/hotel/travel time?

Thanks!

I'm considering cruising from Mobile because Carnival goes to Calica, and it seems that for the 5 of us, it's $400 cheaper to fly into Pensacola the day before and stay overnight. We are "treating" so I'd like to save as much $$ as possible:o

It looks like about a 1 hour drive on a weekend.

What kind of transportation is available for our party of 5, other than renting a car? Is there a limo service, etc?

Would flying into Biloxi be any better? Cheaper transportation/hotel/travel time?

Thanks!

It's about the same driving time from either airport. I don't know how much it would cost to transport you all from either airport to Mobile but here's a shuttle service that may be able to help you:

http://www.mobilebaytransportation.com/default.asp

Thanks for your reply-I'll look into it.

I'm glad that you did reply-I had hoped to contact you to ask more about the Holiday. I'm a little scared about the reputation of the ship, but I want to return to Calica!

Thanks for your reply-I'll look into it.

I'm glad that you did reply-I had hoped to contact you to ask more about the Holiday. I'm a little scared about the reputation of the ship, but I want to return to Calica!

You're going to read mixed reviews of any cruise ship but having sailed on the Holiday twice with another one booked, I can tell you that unless there is something dreadfully wrong with your accomodations on the ship (i.e. broken A/C, etc.) you will probably have a great time. The crew is one of the best, the food is better than I've had on other larger ships, the beds are super comfy, and how can you have a bad time when you're going to Calica?

One of my favorite things to do pre-dinner on the Holiday is get dressed for dinner, get a drink from the Bus Stop bar (ask for some snacks too...Goldfish or whatever they have), and find a seat in Cappucino's and people watch...everyone on the ship will pass by at some point! The little gift shop on board has some fun stuff...last time I got 2 new ornaments for my Christmas tree. My tree is tropical themed and I picked up an octopus with a Santa hat and a Santa in board shorts.

I like to eat my meals in the dining room so I can't really comment on the buffet except to say that I love being able to access the beverages any time (very convenient when heading to the pool) and the pizza station and the FREE ice cream are great.

I like the smaller pool at the back of the ship better than the one midship for a few reasons: 1) there's more of a breeze in the back...the midship pool is somewhat enclosed 2) there is more space for lounging 3) the bar at the back is a fun place to hang out and 4) there aren't as many kids.

The cabins are ample in size...not huge by any means but there's enough storage for all your stuff. I WOULD recommend bringing a hanging shoe holder (you know the ones with clear plastic pockets - 3 or 4 across and 5 or 6 down). The reason is that the bathroom doesn't have storage. I put all of my toiletries and other stuff that I want to keep handy in the shoe divider and hang it on the inside of the bathroom door...works perfectly! I think I picked mine up at Walgreen's.

Bottom line: go expecting to enjoy yourself and have a great time...I don't think you'll regret it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's about 45 minutes from Pensacola to the Port of Mobile. Very easy drive on I-10. I would recommend a limo service. You could rent a car but I'm not sure it'd be worth the hassle since it's not that far. Of course, that depends on the cost of the car service too. If you're still interested, I'll get name and # of the limo service we've used at work. Just let me know.

Archived