How to get to Manhattan Terminal?

azndo4life

Hey i am traveling to Ny from maryland to board the Norwegian Spirit and i was wondering what is the cheapest and best way to get there? should i drive and then pay for overnight parking, in manhattan, for 8 days, cost is $168? Or i found that parking is cheaper on staten island, there i would take the ferry to manhattan, then the metro to 50th street, but its still a long walk to the terminal, but is cheaper?

The parking fee was recently raised to $30 per night. Here's a link to the NY Passenger Ship Terminal's web site. You can find a map, directions, parking fees, etc., there:

http://www.nycruise.com/terminalNYC.html

As to your best strategy, I guess it really depends on how important the cost is weighed against the inconvenience of parking elsewhere. It's a hike to get from Staten Island to the pier via public transportation. And, as you said, the subway doesn't even get you all the way - you'll still have to walk a number of blocks from the subway to the pier.

Myself? I would bite the bullet and park at the pier.

Have you considered taking a bus to the NYC Port Authority bus terminal, which is a short cab ride from the pier?

How about a train into Grand Central and then a cab to the pier?

I think you mean Penn Station :) azndo4life, I'm sure you can grab an amtrak to Penn Station then take a cab.

What you should also think about is how you will get home. Do you want to do the same thing in reverse, by taking a cab to a train/ferry to your car or do you just want to talk off the ship and right into your car and go. Do take this into consideration.

we r going in a group of 8..so train might be pricey and we would have to haul 2 cabs

Your other option is a Greyhound to port authority. A cab ride from there shouldn't be more than 20 bucks a cab. Other than that, bite the bullet as johnql has suggested and park in the pier.

Myself? I would bite the bullet and park at the pier.

I completely and totally agree with this suggestion....Last month, getting off the Carnival Miracle, people were waiting well more than an hour to get a cab. It was insane! There were hundreds of people on the line and very few cabs :eek::eek:. Thank god we parked at the pier and were outta there in no time flat.

IMHO, the Staten Island idea is awful. Sorry. Drive in and park at the pier....schlepping your luggage a half mile from the $168 parking lot won't be pleasant.

I completely and totally agree with this suggestion....Last month, getting off the Carnival Miracle, people were waiting well more than an hour to get a cab. It was insane! There were hundreds of people on the line and very few cabs :eek::eek:. Thank god we parked at the pier and were outta there in no time flat.

IMHO, the Staten Island idea is awful. Sorry. Drive in and park at the pier....schlepping your luggage a half mile from the $168 parking lot won't be pleasant.

It's great excercise though...

Ok You don't want to do the Staten Island Ferry. That is too much traveling with suitcases with a group of that size.

My thought to you is park at the place you found for the $168. Then grab a cab or 2 from there. Depending on where the parking lot is it shouldn't be more than $10-$20 for the cab ride to the pier.

The pier is at 52 or 53 and 12th I believe.

I don't know why people are making this more complicated than it is. parking at the pier is expensive but convenient. if you chose to park at a lot nearby. first drop off your luggage and passengers at the pier and then park you car and walk back(fastest way) when you are getting off take your passengers and luggage to the place you will meet them, leave them at the curb and walk and get your car and then drive back pick them and the luggage up...

I don't know why people are making this more complicated than it is. parking at the pier is expensive but convenient. if you chose to park at a lot nearby. first drop off your luggage and passengers at the pier and then park you car and walk back(fastest way) when you are getting off take your passengers and luggage to the place you will meet them, leave them at the curb and walk and get your car and then drive back pick them and the luggage up...

Actually a brilliant plan. I tip my hat to you smeyers418.

I agree with other posts and park at the pier. I laugh when I read or hear about people trying to save a buck on parking! I have to fly to every port and at the mimimum the airline tickets are $350.00 each so paying $180.00 on parking would be a non-issue for us. In addition, other posts are talking about cabs and how crazy it is: We were on the Gem this past April and found that if you walk out of the terminal and cross the street, directly in front of the terminal is another cab stand. There was no line, lots of cabs and we were able to just load our luggage and hop in!

Archived