Retirement Ideas

JessiMommy

My dad is retiring from the FAA after 30+ years of service in January 2005. He is taking my Mom, myself, DH, DD, Brother & SIL on the Victory as a way of celebrating. I'm wondering if you all have some ideas of things we can do for him while on board the ship. Any & all ideas would be appreciated!! :D

How about some sort of album or an autograph book where all his co-workers could write something? Decorate his cabin with "Happy Retirement" stuff.

We bought my Dad a gag gift.....he said that once he quit working, he was just going to sit around & watch the grass grow, so we got him one of those indoor grass plants. lol

Dolly

NOPE no supper club on the Victory.

1. Why not send him a gift for his bon voyage party. Carnival has some cute ones with a tee shirt, hat and some beer.

2. Or have the cabin decorated to surprise him.

3. Arrange some special port tours as a treat for him

4. Make arrangements for a family photo and get him a special frame for it.

I agree with one of the posters. A "Retirement Scrapbook" would be a nice gift! Take photos of all his co-workers and have everyone sign by their photo, that would be a nice keepsake.

Try and volunteer Dad into one of the games on the cruise... New/Not so new NewlyWed game? Hairy leg contest? Survivor?

Buy him a retirement cake and have the waiters sing "Harpy Retirement" to him at dinner!

Sometimes the CD will work in some 'retirement', 'anniversary', etc. jokes into his spiel. Check with him/her early on in the cruise and see if he can do that for your dad. Also, if y'all are past guests (?), the captain would probably mention it at the past guest party. You can always ask!:) (And, BTW, it's really nice of your dad to treat all of you for the occasion. Hope he has many years of doing whatever he likes.)

There are 2 things that you can do fairly easily that are really nice. Send a letter or e-mail to your congressman and tell them about your dads retirement from government and they will arrange for him to recieve a flag that has flown over the Capital Building. You can also send a request to the White House explaining the same information and he will recieve a letter of congratulations from the President. No cost for either one but they are very nice keepsakes of a long government career.

My husband was in the Navy (retired Feb this year). At one point we lived in San Diego and I was working for an aerospace company there. When he got his transfer orders my co-workers got a placemat of the Hotel Del Coronado, had it matted and then had all my friends and co-workers sign around the edges. Also one of the squadrons that my husband left did the same thing - but matted and framed a picture of one of the airplanes from the squadron. Is there anything like that - a picture of his office building, terminal or whatever - that would be appropriate to frame? You could have it matted and get someone at his work to get it signed with well wishes.

Archived