South America with 8 and 10 year old

We are considering taking our grandchildren that live with us now, on a 15 day South American cruise for the christmas/new year holiday' s this year on Royal carribean. Do you think we will find may children their age on that itineary and for that long? OUr grandchildren would only miss one or two days of school and they love to cruise but not sure how many other chldren their age would take that long of a trip and to that itinerary.

the longer the cruise USUALLY the fewer the children but there is really no way to tell. Since it is a holiday cruise there will probably be more but the greatest numbers will be on the Caribbean sailings.

We are considering taking our grandchildren that live with us now, on a 15 day South American cruise for the christmas/new year holiday' s this year on Royal carribean. Do you think we will find may children their age on that itineary and for that long? OUr grandchildren would only miss one or two days of school and they love to cruise but not sure how many other chldren their age would take that long of a trip and to that itinerary.

Do your grandchildren speak spanish?

Your cruise might be different, but we found on our 7 day cruise, leaving from San Juan - the children ( in our their age group) that were on board all spoke only spanish. My children do not (yet :D ) There were VERY few other English speaking children - and yet - they did meet up and play with the 2 who did :D :D

I am sure this would change depending on what port you are leaving from. On the above cruise we left from San Juan. Please don't think I am bashing anyone!!! It is just something to consider with children - who are counting on the kids club to meet friends and have fun on sea days. They still had fun, but our next cruise will be leaving from the US.:o

Lucky grandkids!

Since they love to cruise, it shouldn't really matter how many other kids are there. Get them involved in AO form the beginning, and they will make friends.

If I misread your post and you are concerned that there may be too many kids, I don't think you have to worry, and the above poster said... the longer the trip, traditionally, the fewer the children.

I hope you choose to go. Have a wonderful time planning AND cruising!

A~

i want to be sure there are at least some children close to their age for them to 'play' with. they have been on several carribean/mexico cruise on RCI and they loved AO . we took them last minute last year on HAL on a New England/Canadian crusie and feared there would be no children and there certainly were not many but there were enough- it was in the summer- for them to be happy. they love being around other childrena and the more hte merrier for them. tahnsk everyone for your thoughts.

Having just returned from a 15 day cruise on Splendour from Valparaiso to Sao Paulo.............I can tell you that we had children on board. Our cruise started on March 22, the day before Easter............so there were some children on board enjoying spring break....and they were very well behaved.

If you enroll them in the Adventure Oceans program on board, they will have the opportunity to intermingle with other children from the US and the countries in South America.

Be aware that if you are sailing out of or into any ports in Brazil, you will all need to have a Brazilian Visa.......at a cost of $140pp. If you are sailing out of Valparaiso Chile, which would mean you have to into Santiago, Chile you will all have to pay the reciprocity fee of $131pp at the airport before you can claim your luggage............it can get expensive and I do not know if the fees are less for children.

Whatever you decide.............and seeing that your grandchildren are 8 and 10..........it would be an experience they will remember forever. And since Radiance is our most favorite ship............I know that you all will have a great time.

Having just returned from a 15 day cruise on Splendour from Valparaiso to Sao Paulo.............I can tell you that we had children on board. Our cruise started on March 22, the day before Easter............so there were some children on board enjoying spring break....and they were very well behaved.

If you enroll them in the Adventure Oceans program on board, they will have the opportunity to intermingle with other children from the US and the countries in South America.

Be aware that if you are sailing out of or into any ports in Brazil, you will all need to have a Brazilian Visa.......at a cost of $140pp. If you are sailing out of Valparaiso Chile, which would mean you have to into Santiago, Chile you will all have to pay the reciprocity fee of $131pp at the airport before you can claim your luggage............it can get expensive and I do not know if the fees are less for children.

Whatever you decide.............and seeing that your grandchildren are 8 and 10..........it would be an experience they will remember forever. And since Radiance is our most favorite ship............I know that you all will have a great time.

It's good to know that more people are going to Brazil(where I'm from) and by ship which might be one of the best ways to go there! Did you like it? Where did you go?

I think you won't have

tgetz - I think your grandchild will like the trip and It will eb important for them as "world travelers" to know other cultures and places but f they don't speak spanish they will be lost there...I don't know about a 15 night cruise from Chile to Brazil but the cruise fromm Brazil to Brazil have so many kids but Brazilian kids...some of them might speak English but it's not for sure.....hope I could help you and HAVE A GOOD CRUISE!:D

It's good to know that more people are going to Brazil(where I'm from) and by ship which might be one of the best ways to go there! Did you like it? Where did you go?

Hi Ricardo............we did a b2b on Splendour. First we sailed Valparaiso to Santos and then stayed on board and did Santos to Lisbon.

We were in Rio twice, Recife and Salvador de Bahia. We enjoyed all of the ports of call, especially Rio where we did the tour to Christ the Redeemer and Sugar Loaf and had lunch at a wonderful restaurant that offered a buffet where they brought your meat on skewers and they sliced it directly onto your plate. The food was fabulous and I'm sorry I don't remember the name...........but I am sure you know the place I am talking about.

The ports of call were wonderful and you have some beautiful sights.............it's a part of the world that everyone should experience at least once.

Hi Ricardo............we did a b2b on Splendour. First we sailed Valparaiso to Santos and then stayed on board and did Santos to Lisbon.

We were in Rio twice, Recife and Salvador de Bahia. We enjoyed all of the ports of call, especially Rio where we did the tour to Christ the Redeemer and Sugar Loaf and had lunch at a wonderful restaurant that offered a buffet where they brought your meat on skewers and they sliced it directly onto your plate. The food was fabulous and I'm sorry I don't remember the name...........but I am sure you know the place I am talking about.

The ports of call were wonderful and you have some beautiful sights.............it's a part of the world that everyone should experience at least once.

That's good to hear that I liked it!

Did you go to Sao Paulo? I'm from there...I lived there till last years when I moved to Orlando, FL....I think it's a very good city to live...you can find malls, cinemas, stores, nighclubs and restaurants from all over the world...some people including the US Embassador in Brazil says that it's the Brazilian New York...and it actually is bigger than NY:)

I hope I can make a South American cruise more than 12 nights and in a Radiance or Voyager Class in the future.....I did the Splendour either in the New Year cruise 2001/2002 and loved it!

Oh about the restaurant is a very famos type of restaurant in Brazil..it's our BBQ typical restaurant...you can find them in some cities in US and even Europe...where do you live so I can search and tell you where you can go to it:)

That's good to hear that I liked it!

Did you go to Sao Paulo? I'm from there...I lived there till last years when I moved to Orlando, FL....I think it's a very good city to live...you can find malls, cinemas, stores, nighclubs and restaurants from all over the world...some people including the US Embassador in Brazil says that it's the Brazilian New York...and it actually is bigger than NY:)

I hope I can make a South American cruise more than 12 nights and in a Radiance or Voyager Class in the future.....I did the Splendour either in the New Year cruise 2001/2002 and loved it!

Speaking of malls.............there were 156 people that did the b2b. On turn around day, we were offered a complimentary free excursion to a mall in Santos. We arrived in Santos on Sunday and were taken to the mall at 11:00AM.................need I say more!!:p The mall did not open until 3:00 in the afternoon.:eek: Your mall hours are not like we are used to back here in the states!! Needless to say, the ladies were quite disappointed...........our credit cards got no exercise at all.:(

Oh about the restaurant is a very famos type of restaurant in Brazil..it's our BBQ typical restaurant...you can find them in some cities in US and even Europe...where do you live so I can search and tell you where you can go to it:)

We live outside of Cleveland, Ohio. That BBQ restaurant was the highlight of the 8 hour tour that we had. OMG...........the food............and it was absolutely fantastic. You guys sure know how to do a BBQ!!:D

I feel so sorry because of the Mall and so HAPPY because of the restaurant. But the mall in Santos is not the best for you to go...Santos is a smaller city by the sea and near Sao Paulo....the only thing I like it is the Cruise Port:D

My mom can't hear me saying this...she's from Santos but moved SP when married with my dad 26 1/2 years ago so more than half of her life she lived in SP...and my dad...sister and I were born in SP:D

There is the best place to shop....it's one hour(sometines less depending on the traffic) by car and there you can find hundreds of malls and some are one of the biggest int eh world...

You can find from brazilian stores to famous ones like Swarovsky, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Prada, etc.

And the best of everything is that the Mall times are normal;)

From 8 am I think to 10 or 11 pm.

Next time you go to Brazil I'll tell you where to go so you won't have problems and disappoint:)

I can't believe you went to the mall in Santos...hehehe...I've never been there!:eek: Ok..maybe once or twice with my grandma that still lives there:D

About the BBQ I'll search and tell you If you have one in Ohio!

See you.

We were on the same cruise as Patti. You didn't say where you would be cruising from. The first leg of our cruise was Valparaiso to Santos. The second leg was Santos to Lisbon, transatlantic and was a completely different experience.

On the first leg I saw very few children, maybe a half dozen at the most. The weather was quite poor and windy, and the outdoor pool was hardly used. I did see a couple of kids in the Solarium a couple of times and I assumed they were American, at least they were English speaking.

We have cruised several times with our grandchildren, starting when they were 9 and 11 years old. They have always enjoyed it, they love to dress up and liked the atmosphere on the ships. We have however, only cruised the Caribbean, Mexico and Alaska itineraries with them. The South American itinerary is very different and I think, very adult. The days at sea in the fjords and rounding the Horn are quite bleak and not comparable to Alaska, in my opinion.

The make up of the passengers was a majority of Americans, with a large number of Brits and Germans.

I found one!

I don't know if it's good but we have two restaurants like that here in Orlando...one is very good the other not really but you must try and than tell me.

The website is this one..it's in Downtown Cleveland.:D

http://www.brasagrillsteakhouse.com/

Hope you like it!;)

Thank you Ricardo..............I will check out the site.

We were on the same cruise as Patti. You didn't say where you would be cruising from. The first leg of our cruise was Valparaiso to Santos. The second leg was Santos to Lisbon, transatlantic and was a completely different experience.

On the first leg I saw very few children, maybe a half dozen at the most. The weather was quite poor and windy, and the outdoor pool was hardly used. I did see a couple of kids in the Solarium a couple of times and I assumed they were American, at least they were English speaking.

We have cruised several times with our grandchildren, starting when they were 9 and 11 years old. They have always enjoyed it, they love to dress up and liked the atmosphere on the ships. We have however, only cruised the Caribbean, Mexico and Alaska itineraries with them. The South American itinerary is very different and I think, very adult. The days at sea in the fjords and rounding the Horn are quite bleak and not comparable to Alaska, in my opinion.

The make up of the passengers was a majority of Americans, with a large number of Brits and Germans.

They are doing the Santos to Valparaiso cruise..........I checked my Exotics brochure. I fear that at that time of the year they may have many Portuguese speaking guests with children on board.:(

I think you didn't see my apologies about the mall :o

Take a look so we can talk more about it:D

I feel so sorry because of the Mall and so HAPPY because of the restaurant. But the mall in Santos is not the best for you to go...Santos is a smaller city by the sea and near Sao Paulo....the only thing I like it is the Cruise Port

My mom can't hear me saying this...she's from Santos but moved SP when married with my dad 26 1/2 years ago so more than half of her life she lived in SP...and my dad...sister and I were born in SP

There is the best place to shop....it's one hour(sometines less depending on the traffic) by car and there you can find hundreds of malls and some are one of the biggest int eh world...

You can find from brazilian stores to famous ones like Swarovsky, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Prada, etc.

And the best of everything is that the Mall times are normal;)

From 8 am I think to 10 or 11 pm.

Next time you go to Brazil I'll tell you where to go so you won't have problems and disappoint:)

I can't believe you went to the mall in Santos...hehehe...I've never been there!:eek: Ok..maybe once or twice with my grandma that still lives there

See you

Have a good week:)

Archived