Formal nights and kids.....

For the formal nights, do young children (5 and 8 years old) need to dress up in a suit or at least a sport coat or would a nice button down shirt and pants suffice? Any information is much appreciated as I will be traveling in a little over one week on the Mariner of the Seas and would hate to buy a suit or sport coat that we would only get 2 uses out of and then he would grow out of it.

They will be fine in what you described. You're about to get a lecture from many who will say they should wear suits so be prepared. The formal nights are getting more dressed down with time and luggage restrictions. A shorter cruise will be less formal then a longer one. Their manners will be more important then what they wear.

I think for little ones a button down shirt and nice pants would be enough, but a little tie would be even cuter! It's much cheaper and they would get more than a year's worth of growth out of it. I think little boys look darling in ties! It also seems to make them take the evening a little more seriously than just another meal.

I would think slacks and a dress shirt would be fine. Maybe you could get them each ties. They won't grow out of ties for awhile.

Penny's has their kids suits half off right now. I saw them in the toddler department marked down from 59 to 29. Perhaps their boys suits are marked down as well. I think the Pennys ones are Van Heusen suits.

Our son received a suit for Christmas. He's actually getting a lot of use out of it. I pinned the pants up with safety pins so I can let them down later. He's worn it for Easter Sunday, a wedding, a funeral, and he will wear it on our cruise in October. I did have to get a bigger dress shirt to go with it.

Have fun on your trip.

When my son was six her wore a little sweater vest and pant outfit for formal night. Since then (9, 10, and 12) he's worn a dress shirt, dress pants, and tie. the zip ties they have for little ones (Dillard's has a great selection) were a big hit as he could put them on and take them off himself. Now at 14 he will wear a suit on formal night -- but only because he had one for a wedding earlier this year.

Jakie

P.S. You could check local consignment sales and shops -- most suits have only been worn a handful of times!

We cruised with our boys when they were 6 and 9 - we went to Goodwill and Value Village one afternoon and found them both nearly new sportcoats for a few dollars each. We combined them with inexpensive Khakis and polos and/or collared shirts and they looked adorable.

Burlington Coat Factory (if you have one in your area) has very inexpensive dress shirt/tie combo packs for little boys.

Hope that helps!:)

No question they will be fine in what you describe. I was surprised by how much my guys enjoy wearing suits/ties for formal nights. They never fail to get appreciative comments from other passengers. Now, they look forward to it. Many times friends and family will have suits that their guys have outgrown and we always pass ours along.

I have to admit that they are always on their best behavior when in a suit and tie. And we get great photos!

Regardless, they'll look great and be appropriately dressed. Whatever you decide will be right for your family.

Archived