Socks with Fins

Leo Jay

What determines whether you can/should wear surf socks with a particular type/style of fin? I remember when I bought mine, I was told or read that they were designed for use without fins, but I don't remember about GF's, which are a different model...

I have a pair of closed foot fins that I use mainly for travelling / snorkelling. And an open foot pair that I use when I dive and am able to take my own kit. I almost always wear a pair of neoprene socks with the closed foot fins and also sometimes as a supplement to my wet boots when I use the open foot fins. (diving is pretty cold here in Scotland).

I find that using the socks are so much more comfortable than bare feet.

Thanks for responding. Do you have any idea why certain closed-foot fins are supposedly NOT to be worn with socks? As I recall, it wasn't just that you didn't NEED socks with the pair I have, but you're actually not supposed to wear them. I've never been clear whether it's a safety thing (making the fin more likely to slip off your foot?), or a comfort thing (fit, inhibited ventilation), or what...

:confused:

I always wear a pair of neo socks with my fins. In fact, I bought a thinner pair from joe diver. As far as wearing socks with closed fins, I would wear them with that style as well.

It really helps me from getting any friction burns on my toes or elsewhere. That is the primary reason I use them.

Thanks for responding. Do you have any idea why certain closed-foot fins are supposedly NOT to be worn with socks? As I recall, it wasn't just that you didn't NEED socks with the pair I have, but you're actually not supposed to wear them. I've never been clear whether it's a safety thing (making the fin more likely to slip off your foot?), or a comfort thing (fit, inhibited ventilation), or what...

:confused:

I also use neoprene socks with my closed heal fins and of course dive boots with my open heal fins. Both keep the fin snug while not causing rub points on my toes or heels. I've never heard of not recommending using socks, might be a fit thing as the fins may be a bit smaller than they size.

Randall

I'm another one who discovered thin neoprene socks a couple years back. We always wear them now with fins that otherwise are designed for bare feet. I often had issues with fins either slipping or being so tight they were uncomfortable. I've also gotten blisters and chaffed skin where the fins rub against my feet or ankles. The neoprene socks eliminate this concern. And while the socks I wear don't have any sole they still offer a minor amount of protection against rocks and stones when entering the water. I bought mine off of an online dive ship for around $10/pair.

I'll also say that around the same time we stopped bringing our own fins along for cruises or excursions where we know that fins will either be provided or are available for rent. It was just too much stuff to lug around. Still bring our own mask & snorkel a long with our fin socks.

Archived