Need recommendations for a private driver..

babsinpbg

Hello CCers. Can anyone recommend a driver for hire on an hourly basis? We would like to visit Altun Ha (or other Mayan ruins if you have suggestions), and possibly the Baboon Sanctuary or Belize Zoo. I've researched some tour operators, but am looking for your personal experiences. Thanks in advance....

. . . as charges go by destinations rather than by hours. Altun Ha, an excellent place to visit, is about thirty miles north of Belize City; the Belize Zoo, an excellent place to visit, is thirty miles west of Belize City. There are not a lot of highways in Belize, and virtually no "shortcuts:" you return to Belize City by the same highway you left it: so the best thing to do is discuss with a licensed tour guide/taxi driver what it is you want to see, and let him tell you the time constraints and the flat rate he charges for that--or those--destinations. You should be pleasantly surprised--if you DO NOT BOOK THROUGH A RESERVATIONS DESK ANYWHERE. Individual drivers have only their own overhead to consider; if they are booked through a "tour desk," the service will be the same--and the cost will be two to four times higher, as you will be charged by the number of people in your group rather than by the destination, so as at least to cover the overhead of the person booking the tour as well. :eek:

From personal experience I recommend Daniel Itzá, a licensed tour guide and taxi driver with his own dark blue Toyota van, who is usually to be found with the other drivers of the Radisson Fort George Taxi Drivers' Association across from the Radisson Fort George Hotel, exactly two blocks north of the Cruiseship Terminal. He might also be willing to charge by the hour, but I have no personal experience of that. He is an excellent driver, quiet, polite, informed, experienced and dependable. He was recommended to me by Major Tom, one of many excellent recommendations I received from Major Tom during our two-week stay. Major Tom also said that ALL the Radisson Fort George taxi drivers were "good guys," which I certainly found to be true: but perhaps Daniel has the most comfortable and up-to-date vehicle. It was certainly quite clean and comfortable in January 2008. It was he who accompanied us to the Belize Zoo, and proved himself an excellent animal spotter as well as a driver--many of the resident creatures are pretty good at fading into the jungle environment of the beautiful Zoo, and I think you will see twice as many of them if you have a skilled guide with you. :D

I think all drivers individually charge pretty much the same rate for each particular location, as there are three elements they cannot avoid: the price of gasoline or diesel fuel, already higher than our own; the price of purchasing and maintaining a vehicle, which is probably higher than our own; and the price of rice'n'beans, which they need to remain alive at the wheel.

Archived