snorkel equipment questions

smitty273

My wife and I are going on our second cruise in September. We snorkeled the first time on our 1st cruise and are planning on it again this time. The only problem was my wife had a problem getting water in the snorkel.We bought the carnival snorkels on the ship instead of using the supplied ones. Can some of you experienced snorkelers give me some advise on purchaseing some snorkels to take with us this time? Looking for something that helps keep the water out. I have searched online and have seen the semi-dry and dry models but was looking for advise on models people have had good experience with. Not looking to spend alot of money since we only snorkel when cruising, but don't mind paying for something that will help. Live in Ohio so not a lot of diving shops.:D

thanks,

steve.

I've got just the place for you. I bought my snorkle and mask from www.scuba.com and am very pleased. I've had them for about three years. Just go there and look around. The mask I got is a purge type - NO water gets in. The snorkle is a non-flex guaranteed no water in. Neither was very expensive if you intend to use them often. (I just couldn't see using someone else's equipment.)

Smitty

The snorkles that keep water out have a ball in the end. I dive and it is not unusual to get water in the snorkle, you just have to learn to purge it. Especially if you don't just swim on the surface. I am originally from ELO, and I don't think there is a dive shop close, but if you can find one get the snorkle there and most shops will help and show you the proper way to use it.

If you are unable to get a snorkel that blocks water from coming in, just try your best to make a consious effort NOT to move your head around very much. Just turn your head very slightly, I have found that I have gotten the most mouthfulls of water when I dip my head too far down (bringing my chin in towards my chest). Learn how to purge water if it does get in the snorkel, and learn how to clear the water out of it when surfacing (if you swim down under the surface). Just try to keep your head level with the water at all times.

I got my daughter's set from Sports Authority for about 25 bucks. They also had adult ones for the same price and it even came with flippers! I use hers all the time and LOVE IT! If you are like me, and don't want to spend much money, go to walmart or a sporting goods store.

Good luck!

I just purchased a set at Costco for $38. Mask, fins, and Snorkel (and a carrying case). The snorkel is the type that keeps the water out when submerged.

I pretty much only snorkle when cruising (about every other year now) so it is a perfect set for me. Tried it out in my pool and it worked great.

About 15 yrs ago I bought a snorkel set at a dive shop prior to a cruise, and honestly, I don't see much (if any) difference - other than price.

When in doubt, Google. I've used scuba.com, joediver, and seadog. I love my seadog snorkel. It has a bend in the top to prevent a wave from coming in from the top and a purge valve for clearing it when you dive. After my first cruise I ordered a mask with prescription lens. Best $100 that I have spent.

I ordered a prescription mask and a dry snorkel from Joediver.com. They came in just a few days. The clarity of the mask is incredible and it doesn't leak. I submerged the snorkel totally underwater (in my pool) and it did not get water in it. I have never snorkeled before. My friend did tell me to breathe out forcefully when you come up to the suface, because carbon dioxide gets trapped in the tube when you are under water. I don't know how true that is, but I did it anyway. I am pleased with both purchases.

My friend did tell me to breathe out forcefully when you come up to the suface, because carbon dioxide gets trapped in the tube when you are under water. I don't know how true that is, but I did it anyway. I am pleased with both purchases.

Huummmm..... That's a new one. Sorry, but I believe your friend was just spreading an old wife's tale. :) Even exhaled air that might be trapped in the snorkel contains most of the oxygen you inhaled (which is why CPR works when you do rescue breathing on an injured person). The reason you would forcefully exhale coming to the surface is to expel water in the snorkel tube for us "non-dry" snorkel users. I use just a plain snorkel and when you dive down the tube of course fills with water. By using your tongue to block the mouth piece and slightly biting down on it (which is why they have those small tabs on the mouth piece) you effectively keep the water out of our mouth. However you must keep a bit of air in reserve for returning to the surface where you forcefully exhale to clear the water out. I would think that if you exhaled into a dry snorkel while underwater the force of the air coming out would be released as a stream of bubbles out of the snorkel (just like breathing out in a mask with a purge valve vents air out the port, along with any water).

This was a good one though. :p

Randall

My friend did tell me to breathe out forcefully when you come up to the suface, because carbon dioxide gets trapped in the tube when you are under water. I don't know how true that is, but I did it anyway. I am pleased with both purchases.

Actually, there is some truth to this. The same reason we teach divers to inhale and exhale completely is to off-gas CO2. CO2 build up is what triggers the response to breathe, not lack of O2 (they made me learn all of this in my divemaster course). When using a snorkel, breathe deeply, in and out, to make sure you clear the snorkel of CO2. You'll be more relaxed, and won't have to breathe as much.

As far as breathing out forcefully, that is for clearing the water out of the snorkel.

Another snorkel tip for everyone...when freediving down to look at something, take three deep breaths in and out to get rid of as much CO2 as you can, then hold a full breath. You'll find after practicing this that you can stay down far longer becuse you won't feel the need to breathe.

Dale

PADI OWSI

Actually, there is some truth to this. The same reason we teach divers to inhale and exhale completely is to off-gas CO2. CO2 build up is what triggers the response to breathe, not lack of O2 (they made me learn all of this in my divemaster course). When using a snorkel, breathe deeply, in and out, to make sure you clear the snorkel of CO2. You'll be more relaxed, and won't have to breathe as much.

As far as breathing out forcefully, that is for clearing the water out of the snorkel.

Another snorkel tip for everyone...when freediving down to look at something, take three deep breaths in and out to get rid of as much CO2 as you can, then hold a full breath. You'll find after practicing this that you can stay down far longer becuse you won't feel the need to breathe.

Dale

PADI OWSI

Thank you for the information. I will try that.

Another tip for snorkeling - when you are breathing through the tube, keep the tip of your tongue pressed gently against the roof of your mouth. This puts a bit of a wall across your mouth so if any water is in the tube and is sucked in, it will hit the back of your tongue and be deflected. It won't hit the back of your throat and cause you to choke / cough.

Archived