sea sickness!!

amd1234

I have read on the board that ginger is an excellent sea sickness remedy. I have used Bonine in the past and don't remember having a problem. I have purchased a bottle of ginger root tablets(550mg) and does it matter if you use the root or just the gum.. Which is the most effective..:confused: Or should I stick with the Bonine?? Thanks.......

I use Ginger Root tablets all the time for most any kind of stomach issues. It works great !! Anytime we travel I carry the tablets AND Ginger Snap cookies....the benefit here is they satisfy a sweet tooth at the same time they help with motion sickness and an upset stomach.:p

We just got off the Pearl yesterday morning. We all took Bonine on our first night and day, and all felt very sluggish and "out of it." All we wanted to do was nap. So we all switched over to the ginger tablets. They did the trick. We weren't sick, and got our energy back.

It was my first cruise, and I didn't know if sea sickness would be an issue, so I played it real safe and took Bonine AND ginger pills at bedtime. Started this routine the night before our cruise. Had no motion issues whatsoever. I have had vertigo and also dizziness from long plane rides, so I wanted to be extra careful.

Aloha

I have read on the board that ginger is an excellent sea sickness remedy. I have used Bonine in the past and don't remember having a problem. I have purchased a bottle of ginger root tablets(550mg) and does it matter if you use the root or just the gum.. Which is the most effective..:confused: Or should I stick with the Bonine?? Thanks.......

I used Bonine, it works great for me. The cruise customer service desk will give you motion sickness pills if you ask, which I think was the same as Bonine. I never tried the ginger.

Ginger totally doesn't work for me - I just throw up ginger bile. The only things that work for me are Bonine or Dramamine. I take it every night before I go to bed and next day I am fine. :D mummsie

We used Bonine on this trip. Worked well for us and quickly with no side effects, which I feel lucky about. Several of our friends were using the patch....they took them off after 3-4 days and felt like they were human again. They said they couldn't think straight with them.

If you're prone to seasickness, stick with Bonine. Ginger is only a measure of last resort.

For the poster who asked what Bonine is.. it's an over-the-counter seasickness preventative (Meclizine hydrochloride) sold in the USA. If you live in England, I'm not sure what the brand name would be. You're have to check with your pharmacist. I do know that it's NOT Sturgeron (Sturgeron is not as effective from what I have seen sailing on tall ships in England).

Me and my two kids used Seaband. It's a wrist band you wear on both wrists and uses acupuncture to stave off seasickness. It worked pretty good for us. I would occasionally take them off and if I felt it coming back on I put the wrist bands on again and within 5 to 10 min I was back to normal. No side effects either. I found them at Targets and RiteAide.

I second the seabands. I get extremely seasick and last summer on our cruise I wore the bands almost nonstop. Now mind you, they aren't the prettiest thing to wear, especially with a dress but you gotta do what you gotta do. I even got some for my DDs for our Hawaiin cruise just in case.

That's funny. I was the same way when I had to wear the bands with my nice dress. I think I actually only wore one instead of two that night because I had gotten a bracelet as a gift for our anniversary that night and I wanted to wear it so I just wore one seaband. Then when I finished dinner and changed I put two back on. You are right. You have to do what you have to do. It was worth it to just not be seasick.

FWIW...We were on a cruise with VERY rough seas (30 ft. swells), and we took a combo of Bonine and ginger. Since the Bonine is one a day, we took the ginger half way through the day. Four of us who did it did not get sick.

I have a cousin, who gets sick walking the gangway and she swears by the seabands. Personally have not tried them, but worth a try if you need to.

Guest carlogesualdo

I got my doctor to prescribe those patches you stick behind your ear. They were working great, but she forgot to tell me about the side effects. The stickers on the container say it may make your vision blurry, but they don't tell you why. Well I sure found out.

In case anyone's interested, I'll just go ahead and tell my story. I noticed at dinner on about night 3 or so that I couldn't see the menu anymore with my glasses on. I've never had that kind of vision - I can see with or without my glasses. I wear them mostly to avoid eye strain. So the next day, it's pretty much like that all day. I'm fine, I just can't see to read unless I take off my glasses. Weird, but no big deal. So the next morning, I finally take a close look at myself in the mirror (hey, I'm on vacation, who cares?) and notice the pupil in one of my eyes is horribly dilated. No wonder I can't see straight. My husband made me take off the patch and would not let me put on another one. This was fine for that day, but the next day, we ran into thunderstorms at sea. Thunderstorms at sea are truly something, but I think next time, I'll put up with the eye weirdness rather than the seasickness that accompanied the storms. After all, the only real problem was not being able to see the menu at dinner without taking my glasses off. And I guess I'll need to make doubly sure I'm not out in the sun without really good sunglasses. And I should probably move the patch around more often to even it out? Can you put them someplace besides behind your ear? Maybe it won't affect your vision so much if it's not so close to your eyes.

[This was fine for that day, but the next day, we ran into thunderstorms at sea. Thunderstorms at sea are truly something, but I think next time, I'll put up with the eye weirdness rather than the seasickness that accompanied the storms. After all, the only real problem was not being able to see the menu at dinner without taking my glasses off. And I guess I'll need to make doubly sure I'm not out in the sun without really good sunglasses. And I should probably move the patch around more often to even it out? Can you put them someplace besides behind your ear? Maybe it won't affect your vision so much if it's not so close to your eyes.

Yep, that's why I use the patch. I've tried all the remedies and the patch works best for me. I only have a small problem when reading the menu and I do get dry mouth, but they're better than being sick.

Archived