Seeing Skagway with infant (car, White Pass railway??) - need help

annimal

We are a family of 5 adults and one infant who will be 9 months old in September when we take our cruise to Alaska. One of our ports of call is Skagway. I have been given the suggestion through these boards to rent a car as it is suppose to be easier to travel with an infant (i.e. allowing for stops as needed). However, the largest vehicle Avis has (at the Skagway location) is a full size car which holds 5 - 6 people, making it a pretty tight fit to hold all 5 adults and a baby in a car seat. So I'm not sure this is the way to go especially if my understanding is that most people drive for 6+ hours while in port (Murray's Guide?). I thought about the White Pass Railway excursion and think the 3.5 hour tour would be okay with the baby but I'm not sure if there's any room to move around the train. In addition, I have been reading that more people recommend the 7 or 9 hour tour as it offers more to see. However, I don't know how the baby will deal being confined in a lap (if there's no room to move about) for 7 hours. Does anyone have any suggestions or insight on these or other transportation options so that we can tour Skagway comfortably with a 9 month old?

We are using a tour guide in Skagway who has his own van and has lived in the area a long time. I think this is his website. We are a large group with kids and thought it would work nicely to be able to stop when needed for potty breaks, food, pictures rather than being locked into a schedule.

http://www.******************/

Not sure why his website doesn't display when so many other vendors websites do. It's Dyea Dave Tours. Email me if you can't find the website

We're in a similar situation early July. We are a party of seven.

Myself and the toddler are renting a car (from Sourdough rentals) and meeting the rest of the party in Fraser. They are taking the train from Skagway to Fraser. It gives me a chance to get a latte with the bambino:=)

If this works for you, remember to have a notarized letter for you and your husband that OKs taking any children across the Canadian border without the other parent. The railroad people told me to just stop at the customs booth near Fraser and let them know our plans.

Check out their website for more information regarding the Fraser train.

I'd be happy to answer any questions!

Archived