ATV Adventure @ Rancho Grande

We've booked the ATV Adventure in Progresso through Carnival for about 6 of us and was wondering if anyone else has ventured on this excursion?

I did a search on the boards for any info about it but alas, didn't find anything too informative.

So if you've done this excursion please tell me how it was!

Thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

6 of us in our group decided to do this excursion (booked thru carnival) there was only 10 total from the ship that chose this excursion so the small group was excellent!

We all met at the pier and there we met our guide, Miriam. We boarded a bus along with the Rhino group and headed out for a 45 min -1 hour bus ride. We dropped off the Rhino group and headed to 'Hacienda San Eduardo' which was only another 7-10 miles up the road.

Upon arriving at the hacienda, all the ladies headed straight for the restrooms which were plentiful and clean. I had a rather large 8 legged friend visiting my stall but he/she wasn't bothered at all by my presense!

They have lockers for rent for you to store your stuff but everyone in our group had backpacks which I highly recommend.

Everyone met up again to watch a brief video describing how to operate the ATV as well as safety stuff. After the video we headed to the ATV's which were all lined up together. You are required to wear the helmet but they didn't make us wear the goggles, most of us had our sunglasses on. Everyone was given their own scarf/do-rag to use and keep. Some used it under the helmet, others used it as a mask.

Generally I'd say this excursion would be more on the dusty side, but being as we were arriving a day after Dolly had visited, the ground was well saturated and we had mud to contend with which is better than dust any day!

We set off, stopping briefly for a photo op ($10) atop our ATV. The first part of the ride was more on the slow side as we winded thru the henequen plants. We crossed the road to the other side of the ranch and after 30mine stopped for our free refreshment (water) at this little grass hut. Miriam asked how it was going so far and everyone in the group requested SPEED!

Speed we got! we spent the next hour or so speeding thru the winding roads, hills and mud puddles. It was great fun! I must say thou, if you're not into the 'fast' part, make sure you start the adventure closer to the back of the line. There is a guide at the front, leading and one as well at the rear, making sure none one gets left behind. So at the rear you can putt along at your own speed but still not interfere with the riders who want the speed.

Near the end, one person in our group got a flat tire so she rode with the guide the rest of the way back which wasn't for long as we were headed that way anyhow! The total ride time was probably almost 2 hours.

Back at the Hacienda we washed our legs off in the showers as they were covered in mud and headed to the refreshement area (pay) for sodas and snacks. No one used the pool but it was there for our use. We had 30 min before our bus came back to get us so our guide showed us around.

We visited the chappel that many in the community use for worship. Charming little chappel it was! She also took us to the working factory where they harvest the henequen plants, which is used primarily for its fiber as well as making a 'special' tequila (forgive me for not remembering which one)

We got a lesson in rope making by a gentleman that had been working at the hacienda for 50+ years and his grandson (5-6 years old, cutest thing ever) after the demo they gave us a rope belt as a souviner.

We visited their small little museum which showcased their works as well as told a little history about the hacienda. They had cases full of currency depicting the different regions and hacienda which dates back to hundreds of years ago.

After a brief bullwhip session (it was funny watching everyone try to crack the whip) we boarded our bus back to the pier.

I was more than pleased with this excursion and everyone in our group had a fabulous time. I would highly recommend this to those looking to get dirty and get their speed on! It also gives you a look into a dying tradition, as this hacienda is only 1 of 4 working hacienda's that still work with the henequen plant!

I'll post pictures as soon as I get them uploaded!

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I'll be happy to answer!

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived