Buying cigarettes onboard

sorry, I am a man possessed with the topic of certain death from cigarettes. I agree it is off topic from this thread (I was in a reactive mood) so I will stop.[/quote

This is exactly how these threads turn into the smoking-antismoking thread of 200 posts. I dont mine,but its only been 12 hours since the last thread was pulled and we all need a rest.

Keep checking back, and Iam sure your soap -box will be available.

If you purchase your cigs in US VI, or PR, you can bring back 1000, or 5 cartons. If you purchase in St Maarten or anywhere else out of US territory, you can only bring back 200, or 1 carton. Customs agents are not as easy on cigs as they are on alcohol. If you bring back more than what is allowed, declare it, and pay whatever the tax and duty is, unless you feel lucky. They do not like tobacco smugglers.

I have always declared my onboard cigarette purchases, normally two cartons packed in suitcase, and I guess I've been very lucky. Customs has looked at my declaration paper, even confirmed that I was leaving with 2 cartons and not charged me an additional tax or confiscated my smokes.

I also purchased the same quantity on Radiance in February 08 and was allowed to take my cigarettes to my cabin immediately.

With 2 cartons, I'm not going to resale for a profit, and I don't want to be charged as a 'smuggler'. Therefore, I DO declare my tobacco purchases and will continue to do so. I'll even pay the additional tax, if and when I am asked to pay it. Again, I've been lucky.

Can I ask - how much was the additional tax per carton? A high tax might mitigate any costs savings depending on what one would normally pay at home.

I have always declared my onboard cigarette purchases, normally two cartons packed in suitcase, and I guess I've been very lucky. Customs has looked at my declaration paper, even confirmed that I was leaving with 2 cartons and not charged me an additional tax or confiscated my smokes.

I also purchased the same quantity on Radiance in February 08 and was allowed to take my cigarettes to my cabin immediately.

With 2 cartons, I'm not going to resale for a profit, and I don't want to be charged as a 'smuggler'. Therefore, I DO declare my tobacco purchases and will continue to do so. I'll even pay the additional tax, if and when I am asked to pay it. Again, I've been lucky.

Can I ask - how much was the additional tax per carton? A high tax might mitigate any costs savings depending on what one would normally pay at home.

Not sure the exact amount but people on similar threads have reported that it is still cheaper than purchasing the cigarettes at home in U.S. Perhaps this does not apply for all states, but likely for any state that has a significant tax places on cigarettes.

Archived