Christmas Cove Catamaran Sail and Snorkel Review

bankonus

Just back from the Triumph June 8th sailing. Wanted to do a quick review of this excursion we booked through Carnival, since there hasn't been too much posted here about this trip.

We were picked up at the end of the pier and taxied in open air taxis to the sailboat sight. We didn't get to experience the nice parts of St. Thomas as most of the areas we drove through looked dirty and poor. Kind of reminded me of Roatan, Honduras. However, during the drive you get some beautiful views of the Island on the hills. It was raining during our drive, but stopped by the time we got to the sailboat, and the breeze through the taxi was nice.

Arrived at the catamaran which had very limited comfortable seating, so I recommend being first to go down to get on the boat. Met the deckhands who were young and friendly. Also met the captain, who for the lack of a better word seemed "scatterbrained". His senior deckhand, who is a young fella named Michelly, gave me more confidence that he was there and I wasn't sailing with the captain alone.

We left for the snorkel sight and had a nice sail there. Actually we didn't get to sail there, we pretty much motored because there wasn't much of a wind on the way there. Not the captains fault, darn mother nature. We did see 1 huge turtle on the way there and never saw another even though it was turtle mating season? Not sure where they were. Obviously mating in private!! Haha.

Arrived at the snorkel sight and jumped in!! I have to say I have never been more disappointed with snorkeling anywhere. Not much to see at all. We had a first time snorkeler in our group and of course she loved it just seeing one fish. Others who have snorkeled before were very disappointed. Again, you can't blame the captain for the fish hiding!!

We decided to swim back to the boat and get on for the free rum punch. While swimming back we were stung several times by jellyfish. Most of them were the little stings that hurt right when it happens and then just itches frustratingly. But I got stung just before getting onboard on my left calf that left some pretty wretched sting marks and alot of redness. It burned pretty bad for about an hour then went away. Funny thing was I never saw them in the water and I'm pretty good at detecting them.

It took the captain quite a time to pull the achor and was somewhat of a Laurel and Hardy show which we just had to laugh at. Also captain spent alot of time trying to entertain 3 young girls who were traveling on a girls only cruise. Rather amusing to watch. Anyway it all ended with a taxi ride back the same way we came and overall was rather uneventful. Definately will not put this in the to be remembered file, but wasn't a total waste either.

For a first timer, it might turn out to be a good trip, as our daughter thought it was fun. However, those of us who have done this before were disappointed. Had a GREAT snorkeling time in Grand Turk though!!!

Happy to answer any questions if you have them.

There wasn't alot of information about this excursion when we booked so we were taking a chance. But if more people post about their experiences after excursions it can give people the information they need to get a good experience.

Happy Cruising all!!!

• 2 weeks later...

You can cancel anytime up until your cruise leaves. I wish some more people would review for you, so you could have more opinions. Just some really disappointed people on our trip that's for sure. If you are used to snorkeling this will disappoint, if you've never been before, you might be okay.

• 2 weeks later...
So - should i cancel this excursion? Can I cancel this excursion? hmmm...I guess I should call carnival...

Laura:)

What did you decide to do about your excursion? Have you snorkeled before? If not you might enjoy this. Plus the comedy of the Captain trying to pull anchor is almost worth it!!! Haha. Have a Great time whatever you decide to do.:)

Archived