Anchorage for the Day

prit

Hi Group,

We are departing from our cruise from Seward on a Sunday Morning. Our return flight does not leave Anchorage until 10:30 P.M. Does anyone have suggestions on what great things to do to fill such a large amount of time. Also, does anyone know if there is a place to leave luggage during that time. I was thinking of taking the train from Seward to Anchorage as opposed to the bus because I think that may show more beautiful scenery. All suggestions will be appreciated.

Hi Group,

We are departing from our cruise from Seward on a Sunday Morning. Our return flight does not leave Anchorage until 10:30 P.M. Does anyone have suggestions on what great things to do to fill such a large amount of time. Also, does anyone know if there is a place to leave luggage during that time. I was thinking of taking the train from Seward to Anchorage as opposed to the bus because I think that may show more beautiful scenery. All suggestions will be appreciated.

No ideas on the day tours in Anchorage. However, I have taken the train from Seward to Anchorage and really enjoyed it. The first hour or so is done in the dark, because of the early departure. But then when it gets light, the scenery is beautiful.

Hi Group,

sorry not much help here, we stayed in Anchorage 3 days prior to our cruise and it was other way around. We did southbound. We took the train from Anchorage to Seward, it was great. I don't know what time the train from Seward to Anchorage, but if your time allowed try it. You will enjoy it. don't know what else you can do or see in a few hours around Anchorage.

I would rent a car for a day, put your luggage in the trunk, and drive around town. You can go up to Eklutna (a native village 30 min. north of town on the freeway) and visit the interesting cemetery, or drive to the Native Heritage Center for an interesting visit (easily combined with Eklutna as the Heritage Center is on the way.)

Or you can drive to the Native Hospital and shop at the gift shop there, for arguably the best selection of native crafts and souvenirs available in town. Or you can visit the Anchorage Museum, or drive part way back down the Seward Highway (which the train parallels) for a second go at some great scenery.

Or you can drive around Lake Hood and watch all the floatplane operations, or out to Earthquake Park (near the airport) for good views back to the city, along with walks on the Tony Knowles Trail.

Or down to Ship Creek near the train station and watch people thrash the water looking for suicidal salmon, or down the Old Seward Highway for a killer burger at the Arctic Roadrunner drive-in, or hit Nordstrom's downtown for a little retail therapy without sales tax.

Plenty to do.

Thanks for all the information. I appreciate all of it. However, something I wasn't expecting caught my eye. No sales tax? Could you elaborate? Maybe I better google that. I don't mean to make that overshadow all the suggestions which I think are great!!

Yes there's no sales tax in Anchorage. Other towns may have sales taxes (e.g. Juneau, 5%) but none in Anchorage. Anchorage does have hotel and rental car taxes, however - there's no escape from some things.

Archived