Cozumel and Progreso excursions with 4YO?

mikesteg

DW and I are taking our will-be-almost-4YO niece on Ecstasy in October. We'd like to do an excursion in one of the ports that is child-centric (and probably do the basic cheap beach/tour/shopping in the other port.)

So far, I'm not having great luck finding child-centric options. We were thinking about swimming with the dolphins, but as far as I can see that's 6YO and up even for the child version. I did find a webpage suggesting Chankannab National Park, though that would seem to fall into the beach/tour/shopping realm.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We'd like to make this very special for her since this is her first cruise, and will probably be the last for many years. (We have 7 nieces and nephews... and counting...)

Also, just a sanity check on documentation requirements: our TA sent us the form for her parents to provide permission to take her out of the country as well as medical authority. My reading is that she does not need a passport (Oct 2008 cruise) and also does not need photo ID since she is under 16. Therefore, all we need is the document from her parents and an original birth certificate. Is that about right?

Thanks!

Mike

For the 4 yr old -- (we did this cruise in Sep 2006; you'll love it):

--enjoy the time on the boat; the kiddie pool is great fun for all.

Progresso: There's not much there at all, so definitely make that your shopping/beach stop. Find her some great little dress/outfit in the market, or a pretty necklace, etc. and she'll likely be thrilled. We ate at one of the many beach cafes, where we could sit at our table and let our boys play in the sand &/or in the very shallow water, etc.

Cozumel: Do Chankanaab if you can; it is beach again, and I do think you are right, unfortunately, about the dolphins, BUT there is a little lagoon area perfect for kids, a very nice playground just near it, restaurant on the beach again, and you can rent snorkel equipment pretty cheaply.

She won't be able to actually swim/snorkel most likely (unless she is a better swimmer than mine at that age, LOL) but in the big snorkeling area, she could easily stand on the steps (there are rock steps that go down into the water) and put the mask on and if she is really still for a minute or so, the fish will be right there; our kids were all delighted to try that and thrilled to "snorkel" and see fish, etc.

You may check with Chankanaab about the dolphins, just in case; if I remember correctly, they did have a lower age limit than the cruise ships mentioned.....but that was 2 yrs ago, so...

Even without the dolphins, it's a great spot; my boys loved every minute of it, and even though we did the dolphins with them, they talked more afterwards about the snorkeling than anything. Go figure!

Have fun! It's a great cruise on a great ship!

In Progreso, we took our then 2 and 5 year old to Dzibultchuan (sp?). It's a relatively small and accessible ruin site. We just grabbed a cab at the pier, and then hired a guide outside the site. The cab driver waited for us. We told the guide we just wanted to keep it to the highlights, and that's what he did. There is a cenote there you can swim in - but we didn't, as I had put regular sunscreen on the kids (you can only swim if you've got the environmentally friendly kind on). Afterwards, our cab driver dropped us off at a restaurant on the beach that had a wooden playset in the sand that was about 10 feet from our table. We found the shopping there excellent - got great straw hats with adorable bows on them for DD.

In Cozumel, we did the submarine on our own with then 3 and 6 year old kids. To be honest, while the kids had a great time doing it, it didn't make as much of an impression as I thought it would, and it was a bit pricey, even doing it on our own. We also went to Paradise Beach, but that doesn't help you.

Whatever you decide to do - have a great cruise! :)

For the 4 yr old -- (we did this cruise in Sep 2006; you'll love it):

--enjoy the time on the boat; the kiddie pool is great fun for all.

Progresso: There's not much there at all, so definitely make that your shopping/beach stop. Find her some great little dress/outfit in the market, or a pretty necklace, etc. and she'll likely be thrilled. We ate at one of the many beach cafes, where we could sit at our table and let our boys play in the sand &/or in the very shallow water, etc.

Cozumel: Do Chankanaab if you can; it is beach again, and I do think you are right, unfortunately, about the dolphins, BUT there is a little lagoon area perfect for kids, a very nice playground just near it, restaurant on the beach again, and you can rent snorkel equipment pretty cheaply.

She won't be able to actually swim/snorkel most likely (unless she is a better swimmer than mine at that age, LOL) but in the big snorkeling area, she could easily stand on the steps (there are rock steps that go down into the water) and put the mask on and if she is really still for a minute or so, the fish will be right there; our kids were all delighted to try that and thrilled to "snorkel" and see fish, etc.

You may check with Chankanaab about the dolphins, just in case; if I remember correctly, they did have a lower age limit than the cruise ships mentioned.....but that was 2 yrs ago, so...

Even without the dolphins, it's a great spot; my boys loved every minute of it, and even though we did the dolphins with them, they talked more afterwards about the snorkeling than anything. Go figure!

Have fun! It's a great cruise on a great ship!

She is a swimmer, but I don't know how well she'd do in 'open' water. If we didn't make an issue of it she probably wouldn't think twice about it not being a pool. My wife has started lobbying for the Atlantis submarine tour (which is Coz). The adventure aspect of that appeals to me, so depending on if we decide our niece will enjoy it we might do that. I do like the idea of Chankanaab also however... :o

We've been on Fantasy and Elation also, so Ecstasy will probably seem somewhat familar. :D We've been on Voyager and [Carnival] Liberty more recently, but I still think Elation is my favorite ship.

Thanks!

Mike

In Progreso, we took our then 2 and 5 year old to Dzibultchuan (sp?). It's a relatively small and accessible ruin site. We just grabbed a cab at the pier, and then hired a guide outside the site. The cab driver waited for us. We told the guide we just wanted to keep it to the highlights, and that's what he did. There is a cenote there you can swim in - but we didn't, as I had put regular sunscreen on the kids (you can only swim if you've got the environmentally friendly kind on). Afterwards, our cab driver dropped us off at a restaurant on the beach that had a wooden playset in the sand that was about 10 feet from our table. We found the shopping there excellent - got great straw hats with adorable bows on them for DD.

In Cozumel, we did the submarine on our own with then 3 and 6 year old kids. To be honest, while the kids had a great time doing it, it didn't make as much of an impression as I thought it would, and it was a bit pricey, even doing it on our own. We also went to Paradise Beach, but that doesn't help you.

Whatever you decide to do - have a great cruise! :)

We did Dzbil????? in April. We didn't even think to bring swimsuits but the tour (booked onboard) was so rushed that we wouldn't have had time anyway. We totally agree that the way to do DZ is to grab a cab and take your time at the ruins. Cheaper and better... can't beat that. That was a beautiful body of water though! In fact, here it is: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2499708850101336718jWfGvY

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2660706680101336718qqcCBq :D

I guess we'll have to talk over the submarine, but there is plenty of time. That's our concern (other than the tiny chance that she'd panic): it'd cost $200+ and may not be a "wow" for her.

Thanks!

Mike

Our kids loved Chankanaab Park. There is a safe cove where water was up to their chests. I would definitely recommedn bringing her there - and bring sme snorkeeling stuff, even if she is only in knee deep water.

Archived