Carnival Spirit Logistics Questions

Shesa-Renegade

I booked a cruise for myself for August 2009 the other day on Carnival Spirit Northbound. Although I opted to have Carnival do the airfare, my PVP told me that it would probably be in my best interest to get my own air transportation rather than Carnival's. So here are my questions:

1. I will probably book Jet Blue out of Charlotte to Seattle. I know the ship leaves out of Vancouver, so how difficult is it to get from Seattle to Vancouver? What is the best means of transportation? I am traveling alone and will be flying in the day before to avoid any unnecessary issues with timing.

2. What is the best/easiest means of transportation from the ship to the Anchorage airport?

Thanks so much for your help!!

You can purchase a transfer from Seattle to Vancouver from Carnival..I think its a 3 hour ride..And I believe you have to go through border customs...If you flew straight through to Vancouver you could take advantage of the US Direct program where you bypass customs all together..You go straight from the plane to the bus..You do not pick up your luggage..

The easiest means of Transportation from the ship to the airport is the Bus..You can purchase a transfer from Carnival..

Thank you for the replies! The airlines don't book until 330 days out so I still have plenty of time. I will more than likely stick with Carnival because I don't like to worry about missing the boat, etc. due to late flights and I figure they'll know best when it comes to airlines.

The way airlines are going down I would think about buying thru Carnival. They will make sure you get to the ship. From what I have been reading Jet Blue does not look real secure.

Again, this is TOTALLY FALSE info. READ the fine print in most cruise contracts. To paraphrase: 'air, hotels, shore excursions, transport are booked as a CONVENIENCE to passengers. The cruise lines assumes NO responsibility for actions of third party vendors (the airlines).'

Your only remedy is a refund. No compensation. While the cruise line may try to help, you will be more or less on your own. And your cruise air tickets will be booked in CONSOLIDATOR class. They are NO GOOD on any airline except the originating carrier. So if you have a problem (doesn't matter what-mis connect, mechanical, crew, weather) you are STUCK. When the originating carrier has seats available (could be two hours or two days), then you will fly.

Here is the Princess contract (couldn't find one for Carnival, but they are about the same). PLEASE check out paragraph 15, specifically sub section F.

http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/index.jsp

I booked a cruise for myself for August 2009 the other day on Carnival Spirit Northbound. Although I opted to have Carnival do the airfare, my PVP told me that it would probably be in my best interest to get my own air transportation rather than Carnival's. So here are my questions:

1. I will probably book Jet Blue out of Charlotte to Seattle. I know the ship leaves out of Vancouver, so how difficult is it to get from Seattle to Vancouver? What is the best means of transportation? I am traveling alone and will be flying in the day before to avoid any unnecessary issues with timing.

2. What is the best/easiest means of transportation from the ship to the Anchorage airport?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Take your JetBlue flight to Seattle. Stay overnight. The following morning, take Amtrak to your cruise. Absolutely SPECTACULAR trip. Customs/immigration is done on the train. And it is fairly cheap.

IF you plane leaves late in the evening, take the train to the train station in ANC, then a taxi to the airport. Otherwise, there are shuttles, ship transfers, etc. Train doesn't leave until after 6:00PM. Gives you plenty of time to do a PWS (Prince William Sound) cruise.

I had the same question about transfer to Vancouver. I didn't want the hassle of moving luggage from the plane in Seattle to a train going to Vancouver, to a taxi to the pier.

I opted for the Carnival shuttle right from the airport to the dock. They even handle your luggage with the shuttle loading area near the baggage claim. The cost is $49 per person. They begin loading the shuttle at 8 a.m. and when it is full they leave. If they have to pull in another they will. That is the only glitch I can see is that you may have a two or three hour wait in the airport until the bus leaves. But the trip is only about 3 1/2 to 4 hours including clearing customs.

It may not have been the cheapest way to Vancouver, but it was certainly the easiest if you had to fly into Seattle as I did. I am arriving three days early for a visit and then just go to the terminal and get dropped off in the baggage claim area for the trip.

Just got back from Carnival Spirit 6/11 Southbound. Our family made our own flight arrangements and opted to use the Carnival transfers. The drive to Whittier from Anckorage was quite pleasant and scenic. We did get stopped at the tunnel, but were treated to our first bear sighting during the wait.

At the time that I booked our flights, the savings of flying home out of Seatle vs Van Couver including the bus transfer to Seatle was about $250/per person. We debated if going out of Seatle was worth the extra effort and decided that the cost savings was too great. During disembarkation, the luggage is loaded on your bus for you. The ride is quite scenic, there was no traffic, and there was one stop at a rest area along the way (althought the bus is equipped with a lavatory). We even got to see more wildlife along the way.

At the border, we went right on through as our bus doors were taped by Carnival. The border agent just walked through the bus and checked that everyone had a passport.

Caution, Seatle airport has full security measures in effect. Now I flew out of Boston right after 9/11 and thought that the line around the airport and outside the doors was the longest I have ever seen. But I think that this line was quite similar. I could not even begin to guess how many people waited in the lines but I guess it was easily over a thousand. The line snaked all around the airport. We spent over 1 hour waiting in line and then got to a desk where our ID's were inspected and questions were asked about your travel plans or where you were from. Then we waited in another line to get x-rayed. I then watched every person in the elderly tour group in front of us get sent to another line to get patted down.

Because of the security delays, we were unable to eat at the Seatle airport as we had planned creating several grumps in our group. If you fly out of Sea-Tac just ensure that you have enough time to allow for security measures.

Chesa-----I know what you mean. My cruise on the Spirit is June 10, and I have been searching flights and transpo, as well as excursions for months, even though I can't book any of it yet. I wonder if someone can post a website for U.S.Direct? I have read several posts about it, but haven't seen a lot of real information. If they are a shuttle service that bypasses a lot of hassle, I am all for it.

Chesa-----I know what you mean. My cruise on the Spirit is June 10, and I have been searching flights and transpo, as well as excursions for months, even though I can't book any of it yet. I wonder if someone can post a website for U.S.Direct? I have read several posts about it, but haven't seen a lot of real information. If they are a shuttle service that bypasses a lot of hassle, I am all for it.

the carnival site has info on us direct..there was a link on cruiose doc page..

kelly

My sister already said she won't trust anybody with her bags any further than she absolutely has to, but I will send her the info from Carnival...maybe she will budge. But of course, she is use to having real men in the her family to help with heavy stuff, unlike myself, who never has help with anything. I relish the idea of anyone taking over. So we shall see.

Jayne

Archived