raingear and weather questions

kirby1200

I have a nice waterproof columbia ski jacket that has two parts and removable hood. The fleece/nylon inner jacket that zips out of the outer thinner jacket. It packs fairly small, and doesn't weigh much, and is 100% waterproof. I'm thinking it will be warm enough, especially with a few shirts under if needed, but not sure if it will be overkill?

Also, what's the weather like say, in Denali? Colder than the cruise, or about the same?

If I buy some very light colored waterproof merrels, will I regret it? Will they be covered in mud?

I have a nice waterproof columbia ski jacket that has two parts and removable hood. The fleece/nylon inner jacket that zips out of the outer thinner jacket. It packs fairly small, and doesn't weigh much, and is 100% waterproof. I'm thinking it will be warm enough, especially with a few shirts under if needed, but not sure if it will be overkill?

Also, what's the weather like say, in Denali? Colder than the cruise, or about the same?

If I buy some very light colored waterproof merrels, will I regret it? Will they be covered in mud?

Your jacket sounds perfect for Alaska. You might want another layer just in case - a sweatshirt or fleece hoodie. We just returned and on glacier days and on the 3 small boat trips that we took I wore a polar fleece, a fleece hoodie, and a gore-tex jacket and I wasn't too warm. Sometimes I was chilly but I wouldn't have wanted more layers. I didn't wear thermal underwear but my DH did. I also wore a glove on my left hand and a half glove on my right hand so that I could work the camera. When we were in port and not out on the water (and if it wasn't raining) I usually just wore my polar fleece with my Gore-tex over it as a wind-breaker.

We also just returned, and wore jackets similar to yours. Most of the time we wore the fleece jackets, but on glacier days, and our small boat excursions we added layers. Also, we took a helicopter and walked on a glacier, and needed our layers for that. We also had long underwear which we wore for those days.

We were able to add or shed layers as needed, and everything fit in our backpack.

Hi

we were sailing from June 9-16. Your jacket sounds just fine, and will do with a couple of layers underneath it. It's WINDY out on deck watching those glaciers, otters & whales! I also used some rain pants to help block the wind.

We found Denali cool one day and warm the next. Shouldn't be any colder than being on the ship (outside).

Cheers

Robin

Archived