2 Halibut Limit Again - Is This Official????

SEPyle

Yesterday I read in the Anchorage News (online) that the change to only a 1 Halibut limit for fishing charters in SE Alaska has been reversed; and now it's back to a 2 Halibut limit. I read it as it's now official, but just wanting to make sure.

I'm hoping some of our Alaska locals can confirm????

We're doing a fishing charter with Ora/Alaska Raven Charters out of Hoonah, and I'm sure hoping we can catch 2 big ones each!!! I can just taste the delicious Halibut right now...I'll clear out my freezer for sure!

The paper this morning said that there is an injunction so that they can do 2 this year and the full hearing won't be held until after fishing season is over, so it looks like 2 for this season.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Yesterday I read in the Anchorage News (online) that the change to only a 1 Halibut limit for fishing charters in SE Alaska has been reversed; and now it's back to a 2 Halibut limit. I read it as it's now official, but just wanting to make sure.

I'm hoping some of our Alaska locals can confirm????

We're doing a fishing charter with Ora/Alaska Raven Charters out of Hoonah, and I'm sure hoping we can catch 2 big ones each!!! I can just taste the delicious Halibut right now...I'll clear out my freezer for sure!

Aren't you going to Homer AFTER your cruise????

Just a suggestion, although I know you posted before that you were halibut fishing on an excursion.

Homer is the halibut capital of the world. And there are 1/2 day trips that will DEFINITELY allow you to catch your limit. There is even a double limit, overnight trip-4 halibut EACH-leave late afternoon, return the following day by 9-10. The boat is new and the sleeping is good.

Why I suggest this if you are going on the land trip AFTER your cruise-shipping fish this year has gone up A LOT (I am in the fish shipping business).

FedEX has almost doubled prices. So if you fish in Homer, Coal Point Seafoods will pack your fish, ready to take home. When you leave Homer, take your box of fish WITH YOU. It will be packed with gel ice and solidly frozen. You can take it on the plane with you as your second or even third suitcase. Even though you will pay $25 (second suitcase) or $100 (most airlines charge for third suitcase) it will still be cheaper by far than shipping FedEx. A 50# box (which is only about 43 pounds of fish) using my corporate rate out of Homer will run $168.00 JUST for the shipping to the lower 48.

Hoonah prices are higher because of the more remote location

And fish for the "chicken halibut", don't try to get a trophy fish. The smaller (25-50 pound) chickens are far superior eating. Enjoy!!!!

Thanks for the feedback. The higher limit::), the shipping costs::eek:

Now to answer your question, greatam: We're actually doing a Southbound cruise. We are flying to Seattle; then to Juneau; and a short flight to Hoonah for 3 nights before flying up to Anchorage. So our Halibut fishing charter will be in Hoonah, before beginning our 7 nights exploring the Kenai Penninsula. I understand what you're saying about taking the frozen catch back on the plane, but that won't work for us. It's amazing what high fuel prices are doing to most every sector of our economy.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the feedback. The higher limit::), the shipping costs::eek:

Now to answer your question, greatam: We're actually doing a Southbound cruise. We are flying to Seattle; then to Juneau; and a short flight to Hoonah for 3 nights before flying up to Anchorage. So our Halibut fishing charter will be in Hoonah, before beginning our 7 nights exploring the Kenai Penninsula. I understand what you're saying about taking the frozen catch back on the plane, but that won't work for us. It's amazing what high fuel prices are doing to most every sector of our economy.

Thanks for the info!

SEPyle,

I would be more than happy to take care of your fish :D if I am in Anchorage the day you land. Of course, it might be gone when you want it back. But don't they say that the real fun is in the catching of it?

Janice

And fish for the "chicken halibut", don't try to get a trophy fish. The smaller (25-50 pound) chickens are far superior eating. Enjoy!!!!

I couldn't agree more, I was grilling some fresh halibut as the Diamond Princess sailed by this evening. I don't fish anymore and buy my fish from a local fisherman; the price of halibut is off this year and with the cost of fuel it is really hurting the fishers. I just bought a 28 pounder filleted and skined for $5 per lb which is down from $7 last fall. Incidently fresh halibut has no flavor of its own, it is what you cook it with that gives it its flavor.

Archived