Be Aware the 4th of July in Juneau

wendolyng

If any of you are scheduled to be in Juneau on the 4th of July, you need to be aware that many tours and means of transportation are cancelled that day due to the parade. It is my understanding that the 4th of July is the BIG holiday there, much more than even in the lower states. A lot of people have kids in the parades and they consider it like Christmas. Also, the parade will block transportation. If you can find someone who will drive their bus/vehicle, you need to be back to the ship way early because you might be blocked. Most of the people in Juneau will tell you this is a big consideration. Some of the regular tour buses close down, but we did manage to get a sarcastic and surly driver. Also, the ship will cancel many of their excursions, so don't count on them.

This is just a little detail I heard about on this board but didn't really "get" until I got there. It was fun anyway!

I was in Juneau for the 4th of July back in 2000 and it was a lot of fun to watch the parade. We had a gorgeous day, sunny low 80's and it was a nice change of pace to see basicaly a "small town" celebration. They were setting up for a town picnic over on the beach on Douglas Island and we watched some of the activities on sailaway. Would have been great to have had a late sailaway and seen the fireworks

Doug

If any of you are scheduled to be in Juneau on the 4th of July, you need to be aware that many tours and means of transportation are cancelled that day due to the parade. It is my understanding that the 4th of July is the BIG holiday there, much more than even in the lower states. A lot of people have kids in the parades and they consider it like Christmas. Also, the parade will block transportation. If you can find someone who will drive their bus/vehicle, you need to be back to the ship way early because you might be blocked. Most of the people in Juneau will tell you this is a big consideration. Some of the regular tour buses close down, but we did manage to get a sarcastic and surly driver. Also, the ship will cancel many of their excursions, so don't count on them.

This is just a little detail I heard about on this board but didn't really "get" until I got there. It was fun anyway!

How much fun would that be to celebrate the 4th with the people who live there..I bet it will be a fun party!

Kelly

There's still room for more people in that picture of Juneau!

Seward is known for having the largest 4th of July celebration in Ak. Just imagine a small town, a distance of 7 blocks wide by just over a mile long with a winter population of 2,500 having 50,000 vistors watching the famous Mt Marathon race in a couple of blocks area. They close the streets downtown and have craft and food vendors. I'll warn in advance that this year will be packed for sure with 2 ships and it being a friday. Don't expect to get anywhere fast and forget about parking anywhere near downtown. I sure hope we have weather like it has been.... 60's and sunny! :)

There's still room for more people in that picture of Juneau!

Seward is known for having the largest 4th of July celebration in Ak. Just imagine a small town, a distance of 7 blocks wide by just over a mile long with a winter population of 2,500 having 50,000 vistors watching the famous Mt Marathon race in a couple of blocks area. They close the streets downtown and have craft and food vendors. I'll warn in advance that this year will be packed for sure with 2 ships and it being a friday. Don't expect to get anywhere fast and forget about parking anywhere near downtown. I sure hope we have weather like it has been.... 60's and sunny! :)

We will be there that day for the end of our cruise. I hope it doesn't interfere with our Kenai Fjords tour as that is supposed to be a good excursion but I am hoping to enjoy the local festivities.

Some of the vendors should be open by weds, making the most of a long weekend and daily ships.

All the normal actitivies..wildlife cruises, kayaking, fishing charters, stores, restaraunts ect are open as that's our busiest day of the year.

I've seen the weather vary from pouring rain 40-50's to sunny and 90's. I've heard it's even snowed here on the 4th..

Archived