Candy to local children

Lorick93

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen many opinions on this, and you can google some combination of 'taking candy children in poor countries' and read LOTS of info...

here are some things to think about-

- dental care may be scarce in the area you visit, and candy contributes to tooth decay

- giving out candy or trinkets creates an expectation that Americans or tourists will bring them things, sort of creating a bit of a beggar society

- you may do more good by bring school supplies (Staples & Offce Max are starting up their super cheap back to school sales- you can get pencils for 1 cent a box or all sorts of different things if you watch the ads and go a few times over July-August- this week was mini hand sanitizer for 1 cent, limit 2!!)

-if you do bring school supplies, you should try to find a way to give then directly to a school. In some areas you may give something and the receipient may sell it immediately.

- in some communities, there is a great feeling of pride where your gifts of candy or trinkets may be considered an insult, if the adults in that community feel that they may be able to provide for themselves and that your gift implies that they are poor. In Belize in particular, I found that the people consider themselves very well off compared to the neighboring countries of Guatemala or Honduras.

I wanted to do the same thing on a cruise (bring candy, I mean), but then when I looked into it a bit more and saw some of the reasons to think deeper before just handing out gum or candy I decided against it. That was my personal decision and I am only offering an opinion here today. :o

• 1 month later...

We have always taken along allot of one dollar bills to give to the children. They are able to spend it in their stores and get something they want. We always give them in Belize, Costa Rica,Roatan and Panama. The looks on their little faces is one you'll never forget! :D

Archived