Why The Full Quotes???

cruzeluver

...WHY does everyone have to include with every post the often long list of cruises they have taken and also many icons etc. after their message or answer to a poster's question...Do we need to know the list of past cruises?

We don't need to know (or really much care) about all previous cruises. We also don't care the photos, icons, countdown clocks, etc.

But never fear, there's a way to get around most of it. You can make a choice in your User CP to not see the extraneous stuff. We chose that option when we were still on dial-up, but kept it when we went high-speed wireless because it does make for long (and, to us, boring) pages.

If you're interested, here's how to do it:

Go to your User CP; on the left column under "Settings & Options," select "Edit Options." In the options, scroll down to "Thread Display Options." Under those options, you can select or deselect which Visible Display Elements you do or don't want.

We have the whole list deselected. It's wonderful not to have to wade through pages and pages of cruise lists and photos and all the other stuff. I know some people really enjoy personalizing and others enjoy seeing all the personalized profiles. Terrific. We simply don't care.

beachchick

This is a wonderful tutorial. Now I have another question.

(Just forgot my question--old age.:D )

Oh, yes, I remember. Say I'm on page 3 of a 5-page thread and decide I want to comment. So I hit "reply" and add my 2 cents worth. Then I want to finish reading the thread and have to figure where I was. (Remember--old age.:D )

I've learned (but keep forgetting:D ) to pay attention to the number of the post to make it simpler to get to where I was. When I forget, is there an easy way to mark that spot?

(Sometimes I forget I'm going on a cruise--NOT!!!)

Try hitting "quote" on any message, and look at what shows up in the square brackets -- notice it will say quote=NICKNAME;bignumber

You can type this in yourself and replace any user's name you want. In other words, you can quote someone by *typing in the quote function by hand* in addition to hitting the quote button. (I probably shouldn't say this, but this means you could even make up quotes that people never said! But, we wouldn't do that now, would we?!)

I can quote myself simply by typing inside square brackets quote=rationalpicara and then /quote when I'm done. Like this:

The big number is the post/message ID of the post that was being quoted, but that's not necessary in order to make a quote box.

So, to quote actual things that other people said, you can simply copy from their message whatever you'd like to quote (might require opening another window or tab so you can see the whole conversation at a time while you're also typing your message) and type in quote=USERNAME and /quote (in square brackets) around what they said.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: D'OH! Hadn't seen the other couple of posts explaining how to do it with buttons. I'm just so used to doing it by hand on other boards that don't have this feature.

First test didn't work. Let's try this.

OK - and this is neat. Note the arrow by the quote. If I click on that, I get back to where I was. (The problem seems to be that if I do that, I have to do the entire quote, which is the complaint that began this thread.)

As for signature lines - SORRY. I do that for ME, ME, ME. Keeps me psyched up!

............I can understand needing to quote part of what a previous poster has stated in order to respond properly, however, I don't understand why some posters will copy and paste paragraph after paragraph (and even picture after picture).........

I feel with you. My technique is to use .............. before and after the text I am responding to. That way the poster will know specifically what I am referring to in his / her post.

Is there some necessary reason for this that I'm just not getting?

My quess is those people who include the full text (with pictures) do not know how to "edit" within the "Reply to Thread" window. All they understand (or have the patience for) is hit the "Quote" button.... type..... hit the "Submt Reply" button.

Note the arrow by the quote. If I click on that, I get back to where I was. (The problem seems to be that if I do that, I have to do the entire quote, which is the complaint that began this thread.)

You shouldn't have to use the entire quotation to get this feature. As long as you keep the [ quote=USERNAME;POST# ] intact, then the arrow will be there and will click back to that particular message. If that big number is in the quote bracket, then the arrow link to that particular post should be there.

I've learned (but keep forgetting:D ) to pay attention to the number of the post to make it simpler to get to where I was. When I forget, is there an easy way to mark that spot?

Petesweet.. Did you know that you can go the "View First Unread" icon at the top of the first post of the page? It's in the blue bar. That way, when you come into the thread, just click on that and you'll be thrust to that post! Wasn't sure if you knew that or not... just learned it myself!:p

As for signature lines - SORRY. I do that for ME, ME, ME. Keeps me psyched up!

No need to apologize (at least, if that was intended for me). I meant it when I wrote that I think it's terrific for those who enjoy having the lists, icons, and photos. I think it's also terrific that those of us who don't can simply make choices not to have all the "stuff" there. Whatever keeps you psyched and ready for cruising and travel is a good thing.:D

beachchick

I can quote myself simply by typing inside square brackets quote=rationalpicara and then /quote when I'm done.

RationalPicara I never realised you could create quotes that have never been quoted by people that do not exist as below that is genius but I promise never to use it as I have below :D (oh the possibilties)

plays with mustache puts on top hat and wraps the black cape around himself as the mist swirls in and the music plays in the background

or

the cruise was as expected horrendous with people trying to eat at my table and at my time!!!

Petesweet.. Did you know that you can go the "View First Unread" icon at the top of the first post of the page? It's in the blue bar. That way, when you come into the thread, just click on that and you'll be thrust to that post! Wasn't sure if you knew that or not... just learned it myself!:p

I did not know that. Thanks!!! (Although the little arrow I just discovered does the same thing, I guess. I thought that little arrow came up only with the quick reply feature, but it's with all of them.)

Archived