Best cruise to go on with 2 and 10 year old girls?

jrun2008

We are planning to take a cruise the end of September with our little one that will be 2 years old at the end of August and we also have a 10 year old. We are kooking for the best ship to go on for these 2 ages. We would like to have some kind of baby sitting or kids camp available for maybe a little adult time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Carnival may be the only one that has kids camp for 2 year olds. But most lines don't start until age 3 AND potty trained. That might be a good place to start narrowing your options if you want the kids' club for your little one. Royal Caribbean has baby pools for the under 3/diapered kids on a few of their larger ships, and they have in-room babysitting available in the evenings, starting at 12 mo.

IMO, just about any cruise would be great for a 10 year old, so it's probably more a search on what accomodations you want for your little one.

Honestly, after cruising with my kids when they were 1, 5, 6, and 7, I'm firmly in the 'wait until they're 3 or 4' camp as far as me cruising with my own kids. Cruising with a toddler wasn't at all relaxing for me.

NCL won't have kids' programs for toddlers or let a child that young in any of the pools. On Carnival, they can't go in the pools, but there is a good bit else for them to do, including a full kids' club. RCCL if you go on Enchantment or one of the Freedom class vessels, you can spend some time in the baby pool (and the big kids' area is right nearby), plus they have in-room babysitting and activities in the kids club that little ones can go to with a parent.

If you're looking mostly for time away from the kids during the day, I'd go Carnival. If you're looking to spend the daytime with the kids and get a break at night, RCCL.

NCL also has a kids' club open to 2-year-olds. They do not change diapers, so they'll page you and then you can come and change it. And they don't allow them in the pools unless they're potty trained.

Hi there

P&O are great for kids, they have kids clubs for all ages up to 16, split into four groups and will take little ones from 2 years old. They will also change them if necessary, you just leave a bag with their things in it.

Under 2 and you can go and use their facilities and play, but you can't leave them.

However, there is also a night nursery and they will take babies from 6 months, provided they are settled before you leave and you have until 2am to collect. They give you a pager if there are any problems.

They are also allowed in the pool with swim nappies.

We cruised with our dd from the age of 1 year and she is three now and just completed her 5th cruise. We have had no problems, the only line I wouldn't recommend with kids is Celebrity, poor facilities and staff were not interested, also the cots (travel type), were filthy.

Cruising is an easy holiday with children.

Kate

Just got off the NCL Spirit with a 2 and 10 yr old girls and 4 and 6 yr old boys. They do allow 2 yr olds in the kids club and my niece loved it. They have a ball pit and toddler area and quiet times throughout the day since most of that age still take a nap. Even if they don't on land you will find that they will be tired on the ship. My 10 yr old rested a couple of hours before dinner. There is so much to do and see on board it can be overwhelming for kids. They have one of the best pool areas for kids I have seen and is for the 1 to 12 yr olds only. Parents have plenty of area to relax and lots of shady areas as well as open deck. There is a separate small pool with about 8 inches of water for the youngest so the older kids can't knock them around. No diapers allowed is the rule, but honestly I saw very small babies in there with parents and I know they weren't potty trained, but they drained the pool every day and cleaned it so I guess its as good as you can expect. The older kids pool has two slides and squirters and a pirate ship with nooks and hideouts in it. They also had a hot tub for just kids. We called it the canibal pot because there were always 15 or so kids heads sticking up in it. lol The kids pools were about 80 degrees and the hot tub was about 100. They closed the kids pools at 6 pm everyday. It is close to Raffles buffet and there is a bar and ping pong tables. The area is set up like an ampitheatre and amazing that it is all open so you can look over the AFT. We had the option for our 10 yr old to sign herself in and out. The arcade was attatched to the kids club area, but not part of the actual club. They had dress up for the younger ones and crafts and games and other things to keep them occupied. After 10:30 it was pay by the hour till 1:30am it was quiet time, they showed movies and had snacks. The staff was great especially for the younger ones and would comfort the kids when parents dropped them off. I think it was harder on the parents, the kids seemed to take it in stride after the first time.

The freestyle of NCL was great for our group and highly recommend it for families. My sister and their husband were really stressed at taking her so young and thinking it wouldn't be much of a vacation for them, they were very surprised at how much time they had to spend together and how relaxing it was.

Thank you for all the information.

I think I have it narrowed down to two - Carnival and NCL.

Either Sept. 20th Carnival Glory - to Belize

Or NCL Sept 27th Norwegian Star - to Cabo.

Any suggestions between these two cruises?

We have been on Carnival before but not NCL.

Archived