Diamond Princess - Soda Card/Coffee Card

dbhome

Could someone explain to me how a soda card or coffee card works and how the prices compare to just purchaseing a soda or cappucino from time to time.

We were on the Diamond 2 weeks ago. My husband purchased a soda sticker for $34 for unlimited fountain sodas. They give you a sticker for your cruise card which you show every time you order the soda. I think if you purchase soda as you go, the price is $2 plus 15% gratuity each. I don't drink soda so I was OK with just ice tea, but my husband lives on soda so it was cheaper to buy the sticker. I also took a 12 pack of coke which came very handy to keep in our cabin in the little refrigerator...Like I said he can live on COKE!

I was on the Star from June 8-15. My children both got the soda stickers. They were $34.20 each (29.75 + 15% gratuity). You also receive a mug with the purchase. Either the mug or the card with sticker can be presented for the soda. This applies to any time, even in the dining rooms or afternoon tea. (i.e. there is no free soda at any point) I've read on the boards about a coffee card that has punches for specialty coffee, plus all the brewed coffee you want, but I never saw it offered. This is not to say it wasn't available, since I didn't ask. My understanding is that the coffee out of the coffee taps is syrup-based, and that brewed coffee costs $2 per cup. I'm off of coffee right now so I can't attest as to the quality of either the tap or brewed coffee.

We were on the Golden Princess and purchased one sticker between my husband and I and shared. I'd go get a drink, sit down and then he would go up. They never verified the name.... Shhhhh.... don't tell anyone.

Our soda card on the Carnival Spirit was close to $47 I think and that included the gratuity. I wish we wouldnt have bought it.

If you think about it, if you bought soda individually at $2 each, you'd have to buy 24 sodas to break even. 24 divided by 7 days come to over 3 sodas a day. Some days your in port most of the time so when all was said and done we probably lost money on the deal.

Our soda card on the Carnival Spirit was close to $47 I think and that included the gratuity. I wish we wouldnt have bought it.

If you think about it, if you bought soda individually at $2 each, you'd have to buy 24 sodas to break even. 24 divided by 7 days come to over 3 sodas a day. Some days your in port most of the time so when all was said and done we probably lost money on the deal.

And drinking that much soda isn't good for you either.

Archived