Magicjack- will it work

Doinitwell

technically, it may be fun to try and make it work...but sounds very tedious and a very expensive way to 'talk'. latency and overall bandwidth of a ship satellite connection to the internet - is not really ready for VOIP yet.

granted, actual ship to shore and other comms on board all use similar concepts, but they are not to the public internet...

Two years ago I posted some on these boards about my use with Skype on the Elation. It was hit or miss. Some calls were fine and some would not even go through. What I found to be a better solution was a prepaid cell phone. That is what I have used on numerous cruises since then. I always use a TracFone. It is tied into the AT&T network and has not given me any problems whatsoever. The minutes are just deducted form the phone and there is no way for your account (cell phone) to be charged for the fee onboard that is normally charged to your cell phone bill.

I read on one post where the poster used MagicJack VOIP on the cruise ship and it worked. Has anyone else had success with using this service to use the internet to make phone calls?

Was this the thread? I think there are a few more threads on the X and NCL boards. Most say they didnt have any issues using it. From all I have read, its much better than Skype.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=755597&page=2&highlight=magicjack

we used a magic jack on the miracle in may ... there's a bit of a delay in the transmission so it was kind of annoying when trying to have a conversation but if it's important to you, i guess you'll deal with it ...

Was this the thread? I think there are a few more threads on the X and NCL boards. Most say they didnt have any issues using it. From all I have read, its much better than Skype.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=755597&page=2&highlight=magicjack

It was another post, but also said it work. I know the delay is something one would have to contend with. The Magicjack site does say, however, that they don't recommend it with a statellite connection, probably for this reason

You will have a good delay if you use any VOICE OVER INTERNET on any of the cruise ships. This is because of the latency. The ship uses sats to communicate. So it goes up in space and back down to earth and then to whomever the provider is. The higher the latency the worse the delay will be and more chances of lost packets.

Satellite transmissions or packets of information are sent in sections or blocks, so that means it would require a continues carrier to carry over a voice/audio transmission. Probably wouldn't work.

Fred

• 3 weeks later...

The satellite connection seems to vary a lot in terms of its speed. I just used it on one of the sea days and the connection was decent. It may not work as well when the connection is slower. Just give it a try. Be advised, though, you may get some stares as people may wonder who you are talking to.

Two years ago I posted some on these boards about my use with Skype on the Elation. It was hit or miss. Some calls were fine and some would not even go through. What I found to be a better solution was a prepaid cell phone. That is what I have used on numerous cruises since then. I always use a TracFone. It is tied into the AT&T network and has not given me any problems whatsoever. The minutes are just deducted form the phone and there is no way for your account (cell phone) to be charged for the fee onboard that is normally charged to your cell phone bill.

When was the last time a Trac phone worked for you? I asked questions about this and got mixed answers.

When was the last time a Trac phone worked for you? I asked questions about this and got mixed answers.

On my last cruise on the Fantasy in February 08. I have also used it on the Elation, and on the Triumph with no problems. Unless something has changed since February it should still work.

I will be going on the Liberty (not until Sept.) but will be glad to let you know if I have any problems then. I just have to check in on some family while away so I don't make many calls. But have never had any problems. Now I will tell you this. You cannot use this when in port. Only when you are at sea on the ships systems. TracFone will detect you are calling from towers in the Caribbean and will deactivate your phone.

I will be going on the Liberty (not until Sept.) but will be glad to let you know if I have any problems then. I just have to check in on some family while away so I don't make many calls. But have never had any problems. Now I will tell you this. You cannot use this when in port. Only when you are at sea on the ships systems. TracFone will detect you are calling from towers in the Caribbean and will deactivate your phone.

I will be on Liberty Sept.20, maybe I will see you there. THX for the info.

It works, at least for now. Also if you are in a hotel anywhere in the world with decent Internet access.

What about your experience with receiving call with magicjack? Or did they all just go into your voice mail?

Archived