Lirica vs Volendam

jazzsea

I am about to book a large group on Lirica for 2006. I have used Holland America for the last seven years for this group of 950 - 1000 people.

Could someone help me with a comparison between the two lines and ships? Thanks,

First let me say we have been on 3 Holland America cruises. The last was the Volendam. Prior to our Volendam cruise, we had one of our best waiters on the Statendam. We sailed on the Volendam when it was a few months old. That was the worst Holland American experience we have had. The service was the worst we have had on 19 cruises. When we complained about it they just gave us a free bottle of wine. We were stuck with the same waiter and the same poor service. We were traveling with another couple who were taking their first cruise and they were very disappointed. When we would ask for something the waiter said we couldn't have it and then the bus boy would finally come up with it on his own. We found the service to be like that all over the ship. We went on the Lirica with the same couple and we all enjoyed it very much. I must say the Lirica is not for everyone, but we sure enjoyed it a lot more than the Volendam. I am now leery about going back on HAL.

Jazzsea - If you do book with MSC POST here if Lirica or Opera and exacte dates of the cruise PLEASE.
It would be some folks worst nightmare to be cruising with ONE party of that size.
Many thanks and best wishes.

Hey Jazzsea - we seem to be in the same business.
I have a large group booked on Opera in April 2005 Transatlantic.
We are holding a few seminars on board for a tobacco company and as most of the guys work for various cigarette and tobacco companies they are almost without exception heavy smokers so US cruiselines are pretty much out of the frame these days.
Anyhow it seems that smoking just about anyplace is OK on the ship, cigars and all.
Don't know about you but I like to enjoy a cigar with a glass of fine cognac after dinner.
Let you know how we get on.

I hate to rain on your parade MikeWitte but I was on the Opera in August and smoking was clearly restricted to certain areas. In fact, I went the entire week without smelling a cigar (I think there was a designated cigar area in the Patio bar which is open air).

There definitely was no smoking in the theater or in any of the dining areas.

It being a Med cruise, I assume their policy was a little more relaxed than it would be in the Carib.

There was also way more second-hand smoke on the Costa Mediterranea in Feb than on the Opera in Aug.

BD

I can also tell you that on all MSC ships, cigar and pipe smoking is ONLY permitted on the open decks. Smoking is only permitted on the starboard side of most lounges and bars, not at all in the restaurants, theatre & elevators, & strongly discouraged in any corridor or stairway..... and yes I have seen it enforced.

It is no different in that respect to any US or other European Cruiseline. Taking into consideration the other pax aboard I doubt they would relax those restrictions for your group, unless a specific room was provided for the group alone.

Pam

WOW Mike
You must be envied by almost all posters on the MSC "Board" :-)

Lucky lucky you doing Opera transatlantic in November Genoa to Fort Lauderdale and then in April Fort Lauderdale to Genoa.

Archived