Poll: Most Jamaicans Oppose LGBT Rights

Dodsworth

I thought some of you might find this article from the advocate interesting:

According to the Jamaican Gleaner newspaper, a recent public opinion poll it conducted found that 70% of Jamaicans don’t believe gays should have any civil rights. Although the Gleaner poll reported that Jamaican women are more receptive than men when it comes to LGBT rights, the chances of overturning the country’s antigay laws are very low.

The country has seen increasing displays of violence toward gays in recent months. The Gleaner blamed Jamaican musicians for what they call “the less-than-accommodating treatment of homosexuals.” According to the newspaper, locals who were involved in acts of violence toward gays were said to be “acting out the violence portrayed in the lyrics” of dancehall and reggae music.

Despite criticism from around the world regarding Jamaica's antigay atmosphere, Prime Minister Bruce Golding insisted, “Jamaica is not going to allow values to be imposed on it from outside” last month in an interview broadcast on BBC. He has also refused to allow gays to be a part of his cabinet. (The Advocate )

I think yet another reason to totally ignore the ignorance and hate and go spend our money elsewhere where its wanted. I just love these politicians who make speeches about how they won't allow the outside world dictate how they should be thinking. Aren't they admitting that they are not "with the rest of the world"? A country where vigilantism rules is not a vacation spot to cherish. Believe me, after getting ready to fight a human rights case in our own condo building, there are some people just not worth bothering with in this world.

David

Who made the right decision to pick the eastbound cruise of the same ship which alternated between east and west in the Caribbean in 2006! Otherwise I would have been in J******.

Archived