Is the weather too cool in May?

Flyerfan12

We were on the 5-17-08 sailing of the Explorer of the Seas. The weather was cool on the sea day over to Bermuda. It was a bit overcast, but we had a great time and went to Horseshoe Bay both days. The air was about 76 - 78 and the ocean was about 75 degrees. It was cool at first, but you could stay in for quite awhile, once you were in. The weather in May is always iffy in Bermuda. I have seen it in the 80's with sun and warm water and cloudy with rain in the upper 60's to mid 70's as well. No matter what, May is an awesome time to visit Bermuda. It is the most beautiful Island I have ever been to! :) May is perfect for sight seeing. It is not too hot for walking around. Do not miss Fort Hamilton. It has been turned into a combination historical site and botanical garden. Do not miss this free attraction. We spent 3 hours exploring there.

Eric

We were on the 5-17-08 sailing of the Explorer of the Seas. The weather was cool on the sea day over to Bermuda. It was a bit overcast, but we had a great time and went to Horseshoe Bay both days. The air was about 76 - 78 and the ocean was about 75 degrees. It was cool at first, but you could stay in for quite awhile, once you were in. The weather in May is always iffy in Bermuda. I have seen it in the 80's with sun and warm water and cloudy with rain in the upper 60's to mid 70's as well. No matter what, May is an awesome time to visit Bermuda. It is the most beautiful Island I have ever been to! :) May is perfect for sight seeing. It is not too hot for walking around. Do not miss Fort Hamilton. It has been turned into a combination historical site and botanical garden. Do not miss this free attraction. We spent 3 hours exploring there.

Eric

Did you take the 5 night from Bayonne? This would be our first cruise to Bermuda but I'm trying to decide between the 5 night EOS or 7 night Norwegian Dawn from NYC. I'm leaning toward the Dawn because it allows us more time on the island. What is the big difference in the two ships? Does Dawn show its age?

We did the 5 night cruise on the Explorer. The Dawn looks like a nice ship. I have never sailed on the Dawn though. I've sailed on Carnival, NCL, HAL and RCI. I now sail RCI exclusively at this point in my life. I just like the RCI ships and service better, but honestly, all of the cruises I have been on have been great. I would never complain or say anything bad about the other cruise lines or ships I have been on. It is hard to have a bad cruise experience.

As a Voyager Class ship, the Explorer has the Royal Promenade and just feels more open than other ships I have been on. I enjoy the decor and layout of the ship very much. We've sailed on 5 Voyager Class ships and some Radiance class. The Explorer is still in great shape and will be dry docked in late December/early January, so it should be in top shape for your May cruise.

I think the deciding factor for you should be the length of time you are in Bermuda. We normally went to Bermuda on land based vacations, so only being there two days was alright with us. If the Dawn has you there three days, that may be better for you. I've spent 10 days there on land based vacations at times and it is still never enough time for such a beautiful destination. Look at which cruise line will be a better fit for you and what you are looking for in a cruise. The 5 day was a surprise birthday present for my wife, so the time frame worked out great for us.

Let us know what ship you choose. It's nice to have such good options to choose from. :)

Eric

Archived