Very Dissapointed w/ Celebrity Customer Service

Live4Miles

I am booked on a TA with Celebrity. In reading many of the posts on cruise critic, I am led to believe that Celebrity is changing its dress code, and was doing away with formal nights. Personally, I like the idea. I'm not into jeans, but "smart casual" should suffice for a cruise. Seems like everything is too stuffy. One writer said that if you change after the formal into something more comfortable, you would be shunned by the other cruisers. "SHUNNED" by other cruisers??? A little extreme, don't u think? I booked my cruise thru Celebrity, and no reference was made to dress code. I'll bring my tux, if I really must, but I'll be on a 15 night cruise and intend to stay in Italy for a couple of weeks, and then go to Ireland for a couple of weeks. With all of the new restrictions and charges on baggage, I think Celebrity should change the dress codes. If some people want to go formal, great!!!!! I'm sure we'll all see them in their formal regalia. Maybe the cruise should say Smart Casual after 6:00PM. Smart casual meaning, collared shirts tucked in, slacks, shoes and socks. No polos, no denim, no kakki, not T shirts, no sandals, no deck shoes, and no sneakers. I'd be satisfied with this. I'm like you, I guess, I just like to relax and enjoy.

Hope they make the change.

Ciao,

Alberto

Ciao Alberto

Sorry, the dress class they are doing away with is informal -- somewhere between the country club casual and formal.

For cruises with a completely country club casual code, I know Oceania offers that. Celebrity still has formal and casual nights.

One writer said that if you change after the formal into something more comfortable, you would be shunned by the other cruisers. "SHUNNED" by other cruisers??? A little extreme, don't u think?

I have been following this thread fairly closely but must have missed that contribution. Can you quote it so I can read precisely what was said?

Celebrity makes the rules, it is their cruise line. Snobs don't make good dinner companions and neither do people who can't be bothered to comply with a very simple request to dress nicely.

After about the 3rd page of this thread, I swore to myself that I was just going to leave and look for something else to read, but I just kept getting more and more amazed at the comments being passed here, many from posters that I enjoy reading posts from on other issues.

Almost every post here castigates the OP for not doing what THEY might have done - not checking the website, not reading the forums, not phoning the airline, not wandering around the ship etc etc etc.

For heavens sake, not everyone is like EVERYONE else here!!

When we did our first cruise, with Carnival 2 years ago, I phoned our travel agent who was arranging my conference in Washington and our visit to family in Ft. Lauderdale, and asked her to make arrangements for us to do a cruise from somewhere near there for 4 nights.

I researched nothing, read no websites, joined no forums - just arrived at the port on the date and time the ticket stated, armed only with the info contained in my cruise documents.

This OP actually did some research and planned their cruise based on what they found.

They were misinformed - simple as that.

I pass no comment on whether compensation is due on the dress attire issue(actually, on second thoughts, I do - when enquiring, they are told they MAY NOT attend shows wearing jeans and then see this happening on the TV)

Live4Miles, I'm with you on this one!!!

Regards

Roy

Good evening,

If you look at the Celebrity roll calls, you will see all of the dialog about the changing dress codes on August 8.

As I said, I'll bring a tux, and my wife wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything but chic. That being said, I good with formal and casual. The code that you are saying they are dropping seems like a good move. Jacket every night is too much to take!!! Wore shirt and tie for 38 years, and did about 25 formal nights a year, want to chill out now!!

Ciao,

Alberto

Sorry, the dress class they are doing away with is informal -- somewhere between the country club casual and formal.

For cruises with a completely country club casual code, I know Oceania offers that. Celebrity still has formal and casual nights.

That is exactly what I did do before we left. I read that EXACT form you printed. It says, "Evening dress codes apply to both main restaurant dining as well as specialty restaurant dining"

I UNDERSTOOD that before we left...It says "BOTH"...meaning both the main dining room and the pay extra restaurant...It does NOT say, "public areas of the ship", which I only found out after receiving the first days' ship newsletter. My mistake was to assume that the "evening dress code" meant for the whole ship and not just the dining areas.

Dining in jeans detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm. Evening dress codes apply to both main restaurant dining as well as specialty restaurant dining*.

Nowhere in there does it say anything about the common/casual dining areas. Me thinks you assumed way too much. And, since you did cruise a couple of times before, it makes it sound worse that you didn't research Celebrity being a new line for you to be cruising on.

Many, many people have been inconvienced due to their own choices and/or sometimes their own ignorance. I'm sure most of them don't even think of blaming their problems on everyone else but themselves. But, there are always those few that make the rest of us just shake our heads. :eek:

Nowhere in there does it say anything about the common/casual dining areas. Me thinks you assumed way too much. And, since you did cruise a couple of times before, it makes it sound worse that you didn't research Celebrity being a new line for you to be cruising on.

Many, many people have been inconvienced due to their own choices and/or sometimes their own ignorance. I'm sure most of them don't even think of blaming their problems on everyone else but themselves. But, there are always those few that make the rest of us just shake our heads. :eek:

Once you get on ship and get the first days' newspaper is SPECIFICALLY STATES that the nights dress code MUST BE FOLLOWED in ALL public areas of the ship after 6pm. I didn't assume anything!

I'm so sorry your cruise wasn't what you expected it to be.

But I have to ask you, after reading through this thread....you mentioned that the cruise was to be a special one - to celebrate your 20th anniversary. Even though we think differently, I can understand that you had no plans to eat in the dining room. But didn't you plan anything special to do on such a beautiful venue, as is the Constellation? Even if you only planned to have a drink in one of the lounges and dance one dance afterward, would you really wear jeans to do this?

Planning something as special as an anniversary cruise, in my mind, would warrant at least one night of doing something out of the ordinary; even watching the stars from the pool deck. I guess it's just inconceivable to me, that any adult would only bring jeans to wear away from home.

I hope Cruise Critic and the forums will help you with your next cruise, so you can fully enjoy the experience.

Mary

I'm so sorry your cruise wasn't what you expected it to be.

But I have to ask you, after reading through this thread....you mentioned that the cruise was to be a special one - to celebrate your 20th anniversary. Even though we think differently, I can understand that you had no plans to eat in the dining room. But didn't you plan anything special to do on such a beautiful venue, as is the Constellation? Even if you only planned to have a drink in one of the lounges and dance one dance afterward, would you really wear jeans to do this?

Planning something as special as an anniversary cruise, in my mind, would warrant at least one night of doing something out of the ordinary; even watching the stars from the pool deck. I guess it's just inconceivable to me, that any adult would only bring jeans to wear away from home.

I hope Cruise Critic and the forums will help you with your next cruise, so you can fully enjoy the experience.

Mary

I guess I am the only person in on the planet that only wears jeans...sorry, but that is the way I live. The clothes you wear have nothing to do with what kind of person you are, how much money you have, or how special any particular event is. You wouldn't know to look at me what kind of success I have had, and that is just how I like it.

I really enjoy the information available on cruise critic...between this site and flyertalk, I think any travel topic would be covered.

Mary

... and the other 97% of cruisers should have a less than enjoyable cruise because their cruise line can't inform them correctly before the cruise ???

[quote name=

Planning something as special as an anniversary cruise' date=' in my mind, would warrant at least one night of doing something out of the ordinary; even watching the stars from the pool deck. I guess it's just inconceivable to me, that any adult would only bring jeans to wear away from home.

[/quote]

I think this is a personal preference. My husband and I have traveled Africa, Europe and the US celebrating many special occasions and not once has what we've worn made it any different. I'm not criticizing you, but remember, what make a special evening for you does not apply to everyone else. So the occasion is irrelevant to the complaint.

I guess I am the only person in on the planet that only wears jeans...sorry, but that is the way I live. The clothes you wear have nothing to do with what kind of person you are, how much money you have, or how special any particular event is. You wouldn't know to look at me what kind of success I have had, and that is just how I like it.

I really enjoy the information available on cruise critic...between this site and flyertalk, I think any travel topic would be covered.

OK. So how did you like the food and the cabin service?

OK. So how did you like the food and the cabin service?

I specifically mentioned that first thing in my original letter to let the company know how I felt about those two items.

Food was great. We had the exact same menu as they had in the San Marco dining room. Our cabin attendent would bring it around 8pm...I think that was between early and late seatings.

He received a great tip for all his work. I think the tray he carried each night to us weighed more than he did.

... and the other 97% of cruisers should have a less than enjoyable cruise because their cruise line can't inform them correctly before the cruise ???

I was repsonding to the OP mentioning that he had found CC shortly before his cruise. I have found many useful threads since finding CC myself,and it is my hope that since the OP has begun to post, he will find the same. The other 97 % of the cruisers out there don't factor into this reply.

Mary

I think this is a personal preference. My husband and I have traveled Africa, Europe and the US celebrating many special occasions and not once has what we've worn made it any different. I'm not criticizing you, but remember, what make a special evening for you does not apply to everyone else. So the occasion is irrelevant to the complaint.

Of course, you're correct in your response about personal preference, and while I respect that, I only asked if they had planned anything out of the ordinary, and I guess, my thought extended to jeans, in this regard.

Mary

That is exactly what I did do before we left. I read that EXACT form you printed. It says, "Evening dress codes apply to both main restaurant dining as well as specialty restaurant dining"

I UNDERSTOOD that before we left...It says "BOTH"...meaning both the main dining room and the pay extra restaurant...It does NOT say, "public areas of the ship", which I only found out after receiving the first days' ship newsletter. My mistake was to assume that the "evening dress code" meant for the whole ship and not just the dining areas.

But the heading of that section is Evening Attire not Dining Room Attire.

I'm sorry you misunderstood. And I'm one who hates the fact that X does not enforce the dress code shipwide. But the easiest places to enfore it are at the restaurant and theater where they have people at the door greeting.

Yes, many people do change and I'm sorry you were never out to see it. But one thing to keep in mind the pool and the thalasotherapy spa are open until 8pm. They don't expect you to swim in dress clothes

I specifically mentioned that first thing in my original letter to let the company know how I felt about those two items.

Food was great. We had the exact same menu as they had in the San Marco dining room. Our cabin attendent would bring it around 8pm...I think that was between early and late seatings.

He received a great tip for all his work. I think the tray he carried each night to us weighed more than he did.

That's good. :) Maybe you try it again another time another way? :o

Once you get on ship and get the first days' newspaper is SPECIFICALLY STATES that the nights dress code MUST BE FOLLOWED in ALL public areas of the ship after 6pm. I didn't assume anything!

You were the one that stated you just assumed. Maybe then you are taking things too literally. Anyone on any of the Celebrity threads could have told you that many passengers change after dinner or the shows if you truly felt the need. But, after you decided to stay in your room (which was a nice big aft CC at least) because you read that the dress code after 6pm was to be enforced throughout the ship, I still can't believe that you would not have left the room at least once to check this out???

Wow .. I saw the thread and did not realise i would be reading for an hour or more.

I would like to add something from the other side ... I worked and owned travel companies before I retired .. compensation is a difficult one.

Many people complain and ask for it. To pay out on them all would mean high fares in the end .. I will not go in to any stories, but the reasons people claim can be quite remarkable.

From the age of 17 (when I left home) to 70 I have travelled the world by every means of transport .. I have been on the wrong train platform, in the wrong terminal and even the wrong day, lost my baggage checked in to hotels and no reservation ... it's all part of life and I did not even think about compensation.

I travel around the world every year .. one thought in mind .. to have a good time and NOTHING is going to spoil it.

Though I would not have locked myself in a cabin .. I suggest you go on Galaxy with the right cloths as you will have a great time .. it's a great ship .. if you want to be in jeans and casual then via Cruise Critic start a new thread and ask for idea .. sorry I like the dress codes .. no jeans T shirts etc.

All the same I am sorry your cruise was spoilt

You were the one that stated you just assumed. Maybe then you are taking things too literally. Anyone on any of the Celebrity threads could have told you that many passengers change after dinner or the shows if you truly felt the need. But, after you decided to stay in your room (which was a nice big aft CC at least) because you read that the dress code after 6pm was to be enforced throughout the ship, I still can't believe that you would not have left the room at least once to check this out???

A nice big CC aft....I missed that. Pleasant sort of confinement then for an anniversary celebration. :) L4M...me thinks you were doing OK cut off from the rest of the world back there with your champagne, fluffy pillows and duvet.;)

It appears to me that the wide range of interpretations of the dress code exhibited here indicates that Celebrity does not communicate well. I wish we could see the exact language which appeared on the copy of "Celebrity Today" referenced by the OP.

Am I correct in stating that these daily news letters are written on board by ship's personnel? If this is so, I suspect that this particular "Celebrity Today" was mistakenly written with language just as the OP states, that it was mandatory to wear formal dress throughout the evening of a formal dinner night. If this were truly the case, it would preclude all those who who chose an informal dinner at any location on deck 10 from attending any other function that evening anywhere else on the ship. That would be ridiculous.

None-the-less, this is what the OP was told when questioning this written information with Guest Relations.

Some posters here have written that they do stay in formal dress after a formal night dinner. Others have said that they change into other clothes after dinner.

So what is the dress code. The Celebrity web site is certainly not clear about this. If you look at the section addressing this issue the first thing you will see in large bold letters is Proper Dining Attire heading the entire section. This is followed by a discussion of dining, and nothing else. After this there are sub-headings for "Formal Night Attire", etc. I'll double check, but I don't believe there is anything in this whole section about continuing to wear formal attire throught-out the evening.

I wrote the above because someone wrote that "Formal Night Attire" is a statement that formal wear is required all evening. If this were the case, it would have been quite simple for Celebrity to have so stated in clear terms. They have not do so.

Several on this thread have criticized the OP for asking for compensation from Celebrity. If you read the letter to Celebrity you will find absolutely no request by the OP for compensation. Somewhat later, only in a post on this thread, the OP did mention that a "small token" from Celebrity would have provided satisfaction that Celebrity appreciated their problems, and would have given them a much more positive outlook about Celebrity.

I stand by my earlier post. Celebrity personnel misinformed the OP about dress code and air travel. It is very short sighted of them to ignore these mistakes. Cruise lines are likely to need all the business they can possibly find in the near future. The high cost of fuel for both ships and airliners is certain to continue having a negative impact on business. Celebrity is missing an opportunity to create good will by their concentration on short term small savings as opposed to long term bookings. I write this as a shareholder of more than the minimal 100 shares necessary to obtain the on board credit.

Celebrity should use opportunities such as the instant case to review their communication and rewrite some directions, codes, and guidelines as needed for better and unambiguous understanding. However, I fear they will not.

Bob :)

P. S. I don't own either, but I don't know that dockers are any more dressy than nice jeans.

(From OP's first post' date=' some of quote omitted)

I thought I should have been offered some kind of refund or future cruise credit, but was told that wasn't going to happen...They were "sincerely sorry for my troubles but all they could do was pass on my comments to ship and try to make sure similar problems didn't happen to future cruisers"[/quote']

This does indicate some discussion of recompense, but may or may not have involved any specific request. Still, there is no such request in the letter to Celebrity.

Oh my gosh. I wrote above "They have not do so". It should have been "done so". The dumb spell checker would not find this.

Bob :rolleyes:

we recently went on our first cruise san fran to alaska on Infinity and we loved it. The best thing was the dress code. Being our first cruise we didnt know what to expect but if was well detailed in advertising books, web site, and boarding information.

Surly you should have read about it before leaving. I think you are at fault not Celebrity.

Do you "dress up" when you go to dinner normally?

Regarding the issue yea a bit annoying but again you should have checked.

We have booked already for the next cruise

I CANT UNDERSTAND IF YOU WERE THAT MIFFED ABOUT IT ALL WHY DID YOU NOT BUY SOME DECENT CLOTHES WHEN ASHORE AT A PORT OF CALL

In Australia we call people like you "whingers" sorry only joking

cheers and hope you enjoy the next holiday

But the heading of that section is Evening Attire not Dining Room Attire.

I'm sorry you misunderstood. And I'm one who hates the fact that X does not enforce the dress code shipwide. But the easiest places to enfore it are at the restaurant and theater where they have people at the door greeting.

Yes, many people do change and I'm sorry you were never out to see it. But one thing to keep in mind the pool and the thalasotherapy spa are open until 8pm. They don't expect you to swim in dress clothes

Having sailed with Celebrity 6 times I have ruined several nice suits in the thalasotherapy spa on formal nights.

Seriously, I'm sorry the OP did not have a great cruise.

As someone posted earlier(a Brit I believe) the airport construction/problems and airline problems in England have been have been all over the news this spring.

Having sailed with Celebrity 6 times I have ruined several nice suits in the thalasotherapy spa on formal nights.

I'm guessing that you didn't see some of the other threads on this topic where most CCer's recommended polyester suits. Another thread discussed the ease of cleaning formal wear. ;)

Archived