Very Dissapointed w/ Celebrity Customer Service

Live4Miles

I don't have the time to read all the posts and I am sure I am being repetitive:

1) Dress Code - Im' sorry but your ignorance is your fault. All cruise lines have some sort of dress policy and even a first time cruiser should know that You lack of research is telling. Didn't you talk to friends who had cruised? Next time do your homework or go NCL.

2) Flights - Not the cruise line's fault.

An you want compensation from the cruise line for things that were not their fault?

I have often said that what others wear doesn't bother me but do appreciate that we should all try to do our best to dress appropriately, however an experience on our last cruise makes me wonder where this is heading.

On formal night there was a group of about 10 people sitting and standing at the martini bar which is right next to the dining room. Everyone else in the bar was dressed for late seating formal evening and looking great. Not everyone was wearing tuxes and gowns but they were at least trying to get into the spirit of the evening. This group at the bar were wearing jeans and shorts, t-shirts with "cute sayings", sneakers, boots and just generally looked as if they needed a bath. They sat at the martini bar with bottles of beer and were extremely loud. There was a nice jazz quartet playing and it was difficult to hear them or to have a conversation with friends in a normal tone of voice.

Now I'm sure most of us would enjoy these people if we met them around the ship but their behavior was completely inappropriate for the evening and the venue.

I have often said that what others wear doesn't bother me but do appreciate that we should all try to do our best to dress appropriately, however an experience on our last cruise makes me wonder where this is heading.

On formal night there was a group of about 10 people sitting and standing at the martini bar which is right next to the dining room. Everyone else in the bar was dressed for late seating formal evening and looking great. Not everyone was wearing tuxes and gowns but they were at least trying to get into the spirit of the evening. This group at the bar were wearing jeans and shorts, t-shirts with "cute sayings", sneakers, boots and just generally looked as if they needed a bath. They sat at the martini bar with bottles of beer and were extremely loud. There was a nice jazz quartet playing and it was difficult to hear them or to have a conversation with friends in a normal tone of voice.

Now I'm sure most of us would enjoy these people if we met them around the ship but their behavior was completely inappropriate for the evening and the venue.

This doesn't surprise me because I have been on many Celebrity Cruises where people with late seating were in the lounges and not yet dressed for the evening while we were entering the dining room for early seating in our formal attire.

Even though the guidelines specify dress code after 6:00 PM, based on my experience, there are many Celebrity passengers who interpret that to be their dinner time.

My husband is a Norwegian type guy and I am a Celebrity type gal. We go together on Norwegian and I go with my daughter on Celebrity. Even freestyle cruising has one dining room where jeans are not allowed! I would really recommend NCL to the OP since the casual all the time fits. You are not turned away from anywhere but the one dining room for jeans. And no shorts etc. at any restaurant except the buffet. I have told my husband I would eat in the room with him on formal nights on Celebrity, but he doesn't like the idea of not being able to roam the ship not in formal wear after dinner.

Was the particular itinerary the reason you chose Celebrity? I'm wondering if you are foodies and DID want the Celebrity dining room food, not buffet, since that was your choice (to eat dining room food in your cabin nightly), just didn't want to dress up. Jeans was not the casual piece of clothing that should have been chosen. They weigh a lot in your luggage. Dockers would be better.

Maybe they did voluntarily fork over $200 for a flight change but since they'd been told onboard that they'd miraculously been given their flight of choice, I think Celebrity air owes them that.

I too witnessed this rowdy, beer-drinking, group of people. The Martini Bar is such a lovely venue...and since it was Formal Night, they really ruined the ambiance of the evening. We all wondered if we were in a honkey-tonk bar!

The bottom line is....dress with respect for the occasion. You don't have to wear the most expensive gown, or tux...just be presentable and pleasant. You'll enjoy yourself, and your fellow passengers will enjoy themselves.

This doesn't surprise me because I have been on many Celebrity Cruises where people with late seating were in the lounges and not yet dressed for the evening while we were entering the dining room for early seating in our formal attire.

Even though the guidelines specify dress code after 6:00 PM, based on my experience, there are many Celebrity passengers who interpret that to be their dinner time.

What was surprising was that we were waiting for late seating and it was about 8:00. It wasn't before early seating.

I think the final posts about sloppiness and bad behavior have been "right on", but people who dress casual on formal dinner evenings should be welcome outside dining rooms.

Here is Celebrity's response to someone else concerning the dress code:

Fabian52

icon11.gifDress Code

Just received a response directly from Celebrity about the dress code.

So that everyone gets it correct this time....read as follows..............:o

Subject: Dress Code

Dear Ms. Fabben,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Our dress code is designed specifically for the dining room. If you wish to change after dinner you may do so. The only place on the ship that does not allow guests to wear jeans is the dining room.

Ms. Fabben, we hope we have answered all your inquiries and look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Vanessa Sells

Customer Service Representative

I think the final posts about sloppiness and bad behavior have been "right on", but people who dress casual on formal dinner evenings should be welcome outside dining rooms.

Here is Celebrity's response to someone else concerning the dress code:

Fabian52

icon11.gifDress Code

Just received a response directly from Celebrity about the dress code.

So that everyone gets it correct this time....read as follows..............:o

Subject: Dress Code

Dear Ms. Fabben,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Our dress code is designed specifically for the dining room. If you wish to change after dinner you may do so. The only place on the ship that does not allow guests to wear jeans is the dining room.

Ms. Fabben, we hope we have answered all your inquiries and look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Vanessa Sells

Customer Service Representative

Be careful of what you post here as above is second hand information that is not specific to any sailing and may actually refer to RCCI ships not Celebrity. Celebrity’s onboard policy as stated in other threads in this forum will be changing on sailings on or after August 1st, this year. The change involves the dropping of the “Informal” dress code and has not been stated in official public release by Celebrity to date.

On sailings before August 1st the official dress policy as stated in the Celebrity Today daily guide you receive onboard the first day is:

Ship’s Dress Codes

Following are the required modes of attire for the evening dress (after 6:00pm nightly) throughout the ship.

Formal: Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suite and tie.

Ladies: A dressy outfit, Formal Gown or Cocktail Dress.

Informal: Gentlemen: Jacket, slacks, No jeans.

Ladies: Informal dress or pants and blouse.

Casual: Gentlemen: Sports shirt and slacks.

Ladies: Dress, pant suit or sporty outfit.

Please note: Jeans, t-shirts, tank tops, swimsuits, robes, and bare feet are not permitted in the San Marco Restaurant at any time. Shorts are not permitted in the San Marco Restaurant during dinner times. Guests are expected to respect this sailing tradition for the ambiance of the cruise.

The above wording is what the OP found in their daily upon boarding. Except for the name of the restaurant this has remained basically the same in all my sailings with Celebrity since 2001. From what I understand this has been the case since Celebrity began.

While most pax on sailings I’ve been on follow the dress code as outlined above, some will change into causal attire later in the evening after dinner or remain in causal areas of the ship on formal nights. Locking yourself in your cabin is fairly extreme.

Joel

On sailings before August 1st the official dress policy as stated in the Celebrity Today daily guide you receive onboard the first day is:

The above wording is what the OP found in their daily upon boarding.

Joel

With all due respect, the "official dress policy" can hardly be contained in a daily newspaper once you are already on board!!!

Isn't this the essence of what the OP was complaining about. The Celebrity website is NOT obviously clear about attire in the evenings outside of the dining room.

As with the new Sm-king Policy (dare I mention the word?), after about 10 days of debate here about passengers needing to be properly informed before booking, Celebrity eventually put a bright red link at the top of their website. Once they have eventually formulated a clear and unambiguous Dress Policy, maybe they should do the same.

It certainly is true that many people choose their cruise based on the dress policy, but we certainly do not - our upcoming cruise was based purely on a port and a date - nothing more.

Roy

With all due respect, the "official dress policy" can hardly be contained in a daily newspaper once you are already on board!!!

Isn't this the essence of what the OP was complaining about. The Celebrity website is NOT obviously clear about attire in the evenings outside of the dining room.

As with the new Sm-king Policy (dare I mention the word?), after about 10 days of debate here about passengers needing to be properly informed before booking, Celebrity eventually put a bright red link at the top of their website. Once they have eventually formulated a clear and unambiguous Dress Policy, maybe they should do the same.

It certainly is true that many people choose their cruise based on the dress policy, but we certainly do not - our upcoming cruise was based purely on a port and a date - nothing more.

Roy

Just a reminder Celebrity sets their policy I’m only posting the exact wording you find in the daily onboard the ships. Since the Celebrity Website is not specific to any one ship or sailing it tends to be worded in a generic way. Keep in mind that the Master of the ship can change the dress based on conditions present on a given sailing. Below are the links to the Celebrity Website that cover the evening dress and what is expected:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000w139ePwT6R6AJSoQRorpInD:12hdbcveb?pagename=proper_dining_attire

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000w139ePwT6R6AJSoQRorpInD:12hdbcveb?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers

The only thing I read that is somewhat inconsistent on the Website to the daily onboard is on Informal night the website states a tie is required for men. The daily doesn’t state a tie on Informal nights for men. After August 1st in maybe a mute point anyway.

I think the OP’s confusion came from reading the section that covers Jeans which is specific to the dinning room (as is the case in the daily). The evening dress suggestions where ignored by the OP intentionally.

Joel

Just a reminder Celebrity sets their policy I’m only posting the exact wording you find in the daily onboard the ships. Since the Celebrity Website is not specific to any one ship or sailing it tends to be worded in a generic way. Keep in mind that the Master of the ship can change the dress based on conditions present on a given sailing. Below are the links to the Celebrity Website that cover the evening dress and what is expected:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000w139ePwT6R6AJSoQRorpInD:12hdbcveb?pagename=proper_dining_attire

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000w139ePwT6R6AJSoQRorpInD:12hdbcveb?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers

The only thing I read that is somewhat inconsistent on the Website to the daily onboard is on Informal night the website states a tie is required for men. The daily doesn’t state a tie on Informal nights for men. After August 1st in maybe a mute point anyway.

I think the OP’s confusion came from reading the section that covers Jeans which is specific to the dinning room (as is the case in the daily). The evening dress suggestions where ignored by the OP intentionally.

Joel

Ship’s Dress Codes

Following are the required modes of attire for the evening dress (after 6:00pm nightly) throughout the ship.

Formal: Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suite and tie.

Ladies: A dressy outfit, Formal Gown or Cocktail Dress.

Informal: Gentlemen: Jacket, slacks, No jeans.

Ladies: Informal dress or pants and blouse.

Casual: Gentlemen: Sports shirt and slacks.

Ladies: Dress, pant suit or sporty outfit.

Please note: Jeans, t-shirts, tank tops, swimsuits, robes, and bare feet are not permitted in the San Marco Restaurant at any time. Shorts are not permitted in the San Marco Restaurant during dinner times. Guests are expected to respect this sailing tradition for the ambiance of the cruise.[/b]

I don't know how you think that it says that jeans are only banned in the dining room?

I cut/pasted from a previous post the EXACT wording received onboard the ship...It says, "Ship’s Dress Codes Following are the required modes of attire for the evening dress (after 6:00pm nightly) throughout the ship."

I take "required" and "throughout the ship" to mean just that...even though the cruise information received BEFORE the trip states the "dining room dress codes" only after onboard is the above non-ambiguous wording used.

Roy

Why not? In the cruise documents, they tell you which clothes to bring and when you get on-board they tell you when they would like you to wear those clothes.

I think the real answer, as others have said, is to wait and see how the revised dress code reads when it takes effect beginning of August.

If clothes fit right, expecially the shirt collar for men, I find that formal clothes are as comfortable as any 'country club casual' clothes that I have brought along. I find it more of a hassle to change clothes again after dinner than to just stay in the tux or suit.

Regards

Why not? In the cruise documents, they tell you which clothes to bring and when you get on-board they tell you when they would like you to wear those clothes.

I think the real answer, as others have said, is to wait and see how the revised dress code reads when it takes effect beginning of August.

I have been on cruises where the decision was made by the CD or Hotel manager to change the dress code based on itinerary. They did this on my Galaxy Panama cruise. Everything said 3 formal nights, but when we boarded the daily said just two.

I have been on cruises where the decision was made by the CD or Hotel manager to change the dress code based on itinerary. They did this on my Galaxy Panama cruise. Everything said 3 formal nights, but when we boarded the daily said just two.

Did everyone get through it OK?

Be careful of what you post here as above is second hand information that is not specific to any sailing and may actually refer to RCCI ships not Celebrity. Celebrity’s onboard policy as stated in other threads in this forum will be changing on sailings on or after August 1st, this year. The change involves the dropping of the “Informal” dress code and has not been stated in official public release by Celebrity to date. Joel

This is amazing. The communication from Vanessa Sells I quoted is clearly from Celebrity about Celebrity. You seem to imply above that Celebrity's dress code can be legitimately changed at will on any ship on any sailing. Is this what you really mean? Surely not.

You later posted two links. Please read your first link again. The title for the complete link is "Proper Dining Attire. Your second link has been discussed elsewhere on this thread.

I dress in a dark suit for formal dinners, but at a minimum, remove my tie after dinner. I am still conforming to the dress code.

Bob :rolleyes:

I don't know how you think that it says that jeans are only banned in the dining room?

I cut/pasted from a previous post the EXACT wording received onboard the ship...It says, "Ship’s Dress Codes Following are the required modes of attire for the evening dress (after 6:00pm nightly) throughout the ship."

I take "required" and "throughout the ship" to mean just that...even though the cruise information received BEFORE the trip states the "dining room dress codes" only after onboard is the above non-ambiguous wording used.

I think I should have explained that better, I don’t think you had any problem understanding what the daily said. Maybe just what part of the ship “throughout” may not apply too? I agree it should be worded more clearly.

What I was referring to was that if you read the section on the Celebrity website under the section called dinning I can understand how you might think it applies only to that. What it applies to in vague words are the differences or distinctions that apply to the dinning room and SR as to attire. I would agree this should be made clearer as well.

You’re not the first and won’t be the last that has trouble with this as you can see from the posts on these boards.

Did everyone get through it OK?
Actually, a number of people complained to customer service. So when the day came along that should have been formal that was made informal on the 1st days daily, the daily read Formal/Informal. They gave people the option. That night, there more more people dress formal than informal

This is amazing. The communication from Vanessa Sells I quoted is clearly from Celebrity about Celebrity. You seem to imply above that Celebrity's dress code can be legitimately changed at will on any ship on any sailing. Is this what you really mean? Surely not.

Bob, that is the case. The dress code is subject to change by people on the ship depending on itinerary. I've experienced this.

Actually, a number of people complained to customer service. So when the day came along that should have been formal that was made informal on the 1st days daily, the daily read Formal/Informal. They gave people the option. That night, there more more people dress formal than informal.

So even on a night when not required to, more people dressed formally than not? That might tell everyone something.

Did anyone request compensation?;)

So even on a night when not required to, more people dressed formally than not? That might tell everyone something.

Did anyone request compensation?;)

I don't think it's telling. The original plan was for three formal nights, once aboard it listed just 2. So when the 3rd was brought back from the dead, everyone was able to use the third formal they brought.

You later posted two links. Please read your first link again. The title for the complete link is "Proper Dining Attire. Your second link has been discussed elsewhere on this thread.

I dress in a dark suit for formal dinners, but at a minimum, remove my tie after dinner. I am still conforming to the dress code.

Bob :rolleyes:

Bob, you’re taking your tie off after dinner on formal nights? OMG! :eek: Abandon Ship!;) I don’t think anyone’s cruise will be wronged by that, I don’t even think anyone will notice. If not then they really should think about doing something else for vacation as they are spending way too much time worried about how others dress.

As to the Captain and crew can change the dress for the sailing as he/they see fit, sorry to be the one to tell you but yes. My last two sailings one Informal night was dropped from what the website states, why? – Who knows? I think they might have been planning to get rid of them all together and wanted to see if it would cause a mutiny. ;)

Last, about what you posted, I’m sure that come from that person in Celebrity CS. I’m just not sure they knew the dress policy aboard the ships. If what she said was true and formal nights dress code only applied to dinner, what would be the dress code after dinner…hum? :rolleyes: Maybe it’s a free for all as I’ve never seen anything about this in the daily’s on any =X= ship.

Don’t sweat the dress code, they will probably change it by the time you read this anyway.:p

Joel

I don't think it's telling. The original plan was for three formal nights, once aboard it listed just 2. So when the 3rd was brought back from the dead, everyone was able to use the third formal they brought.

What it tells me is that the majority of Celebrity passengers (at least on that specific cruise) preferred to don their formal attire even when given a choice not to. To me that really does say someting.

We sailed on the Infinity in January '08, fourteen nights S. America. Wore jeans on a few excursions since it was so cold...several nights we got back to the ship later than six and went up to our favorite Martini Bar for drinks. We both wore jeans in there as did several other couples then went to the suite to change for dinner (late seating). Never heard or read a thing about this dress code policy and was never questioned about our attire at any time. Frankly that dress code policy sounds awfully strict, can understand enforcing it for the main dr but the majority of the ship??? Am I missing something here????

Archived