Checking out Talkeetna

kirby1200

If we're going to McKinley on our cruise tour, and wanted to check out the smalll town when we arrive could we send our bags ahead on the bus so we can shop and eat, rather than go there, check in and come all the way back for that? has anyone done this?

I remember reading a few suggestions for this little town, but can't remember, either. What are yours?

Lisa

We were on the sapphire princess southbound mid may. Yes you can stop there and they have a shuttle that will take you to mt. mcKinkey, takes about an hour. We left early on our last day at mcKinley, and took the early shuttle to talkeetna for a few hours, then walked to the train station for our next leg to anchorage. Have fun whatever you decide

If we're going to McKinley on our cruise tour, and wanted to check out the smalll town when we arrive could we send our bags ahead on the bus so we can shop and eat, rather than go there, check in and come all the way back for that? has anyone done this?

I remember reading a few suggestions for this little town, but can't remember, either. What are yours?

Lisa

The bus driver will give you a tag to put on your bag and then it will be delivered to the lodge. Another option is to leave your bags at the store right where you get off in Talkeetna. They charge $1.00 per article, we left a zippered notebook, camera bag, and a book bag while we walked around town.

Lisa

We just got back from our Princess Cruise Tour that had a stop at Mckinley lodge....If it's your last stop prior to taking the train to ANC, then I would suggest the following as we did. Your required to leave any bags you want going to ANC, and not carried on the Train in front of your lodge room that morning. Since it's the last stop, leave all bags, except maybe a tote bag, and camera. They will be waiting in your room when you get to ANC. You then can go into Telkeetna when you want and not worry about your bags. the bus runs every Hr. Explore the little town and walk to the train station...

CALBOB

• 3 years later...

We are going from Anchorage to the McKinley Lodge (Princess Cruisetour) ...via motorcoach. I am I correct in understanding the coach goes straight to the lodge no stops in Telkeetna? I have arranged flightseeing so if it does not stop I will have to shuttle back to Telkeetna.

Archived