Flying into PBI, staying near the port of Miami

MamaParrotHead

Hi everyone!

Quick question for those of you familiar with PBI and car rental agencies near the port.

We're taking the kids for the first time with us cruising, and will be travelling with a large group (7 of us). Airfare looks to be a decent amount cheaper into PBI vs. MIA or FLL. I was wondering if there are any transport services that run from PBI to the port area (we're planning on flying in the night before, but are looking to stay at Holiday Inn-Bayside). The other thought was to rent a car or two at PBI and drive to Miami, but didn't know how difficult that would be or how close rental agency offices were to return the car, and if they offer shuttles back to port/hotel area.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi everyone!

Quick question for those of you familiar with PBI and car rental agencies near the port.

We're taking the kids for the first time with us cruising, and will be travelling with a large group (7 of us). Airfare looks to be a decent amount cheaper into PBI vs. MIA or FLL. I was wondering if there are any transport services that run from PBI to the port area (we're planning on flying in the night before, but are looking to stay at Holiday Inn-Bayside). The other thought was to rent a car or two at PBI and drive to Miami, but didn't know how difficult that would be or how close rental agency offices were to return the car, and if they offer shuttles back to port/hotel area.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

PBI area is where I grew up. I will be flying into FLL in September and renting a car with Alamo. I called alamo at the miami airport and asked them do they have a shuttle to the port if I return my car back to them and they said yes. So I am renting thru Alamo. There are 4 of us and I suggested to DH that he drop us off at the port then take the car to the airport and grab the shuttle back to the port so then he doesnt have to deal with alll the luggage. Anyway just an idea.

Liz

This is exactly what we are doing. You can rent a car from PBI (great rates on Mousesavers.com). In fact I think I found a 7 seater van for around $50. Shuttles are outrageous. I would take the Tri-Rail before paying for a shuttle. I wasn't too crazy about driving into Miami since my DH can't go on the cruise now, but I've been assured it shouldn't be too hard. I think I'm going to drop my car at the downtown location which I'm hoping will be just a couple of blocks from our hotel and I can walk back. I'm dropping it after we get checked into the hotel and we'll take a cab to the port the next day. It would kill me to drop my mom and kids off at the port and then I have to take the car back :D . I get too excited and just want to be there. I've done alot of research on this so if you have any questions just ask!

This is exactly what we are doing. You can rent a car from PBI (great rates on Mousesavers.com). In fact I think I found a 7 seater van for around $50. Shuttles are outrageous. I would take the Tri-Rail before paying for a shuttle. I wasn't too crazy about driving into Miami since my DH can't go on the cruise now, but I've been assured it shouldn't be too hard. I think I'm going to drop my car at the downtown location which I'm hoping will be just a couple of blocks from our hotel and I can walk back. I'm dropping it after we get checked into the hotel and we'll take a cab to the port the next day. It would kill me to drop my mom and kids off at the port and then I have to take the car back :D . I get too excited and just want to be there. I've done alot of research on this so if you have any questions just ask!

OH BOY, do I have questions. I'm kind of nervous about going through all this hassle, especially since it's usually just us and another couple, and now OUR travelling group is us, our 2 kids, my dad, sister and nephew. PLUS about 35 other people who are flying in from all over the country and Europe. But I'm not worried about them regarding flights and such.

I would love ALL the info you have on this process. We're wanting to stay at the Holiday Inn-Port of Miami/Bayside and curious as to where the Alamo rental place is from there. Do you have the address? And is there a specific code you used for your rental? We're not going until next November, but with this many people and all the changes that have been made this week by Carnival, it's been totally stressful the past few days. Any info at ALL you can give would be helpful.

Thanks.

Don't mean to add to your stress, but if you are flying United, your flight has been canceled. United is pulling out of Palm Beach and FLL. So any remaining flights into Palm Beach will most likely be VERY full (read overbooked).

Get to the airport extra early.

Yes, it is doable, however, my understanding is that United is cancelling many flights into Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach Airports and re-routing people to MIA (Miami International), that would probably work a whole lot better since you are sailing out of Miami. :)

I have homes in PBI and MIA. To be on the safe side, even though it's a weekend, I would NOT book a flight out of PBIA before 2pm. Read some of my other posts about "things gone bad" trying to leave MIA port on a Sunday. Odds are slim that'll happen to you but better safe than sorry.

You can usually rent and drop off one way with no additional fee from PBIA to MIA.

Menina

Can anyone comment on what is a "safe" time to book a return flight out of PBI when sailing from Miami? I'm eyeing a 2:00 flight. Is that "doable"?

Archived