Beach snorkel in St.Kitts

mslaabs

Search is down again and I've looked at several pages, but haven't seen anything about St. Kitts. We have our own gear and prefer to go in from the beach rather than a boat. Any suggestions for St. Kitts? Also, we are use to going to the carribbean in the summer, how much of difference in water temperature is there going to be in February?

Sheila

Water temp shouldn't be much different that far south. We were there in Dec and the water was around 80. We normally dive, but opted to snorkel in St. Kitts due to DH's back strain. We went to the taxi stand and asked for a taxi to the best snorkeling on the island. A wonderful lady took us to a little beach with numerous beach "proprietors" offering lounge chairs, shade, snacks, and beverages. We paid $20 for the day and had two lounge chairs and an umbrella. Our driver picked us up at the appointed time and returned us to the pier. RT fare was around $20. We did not get the name of the beach, but she turned toward the right after leaving the port; we passed the huge Marriott resort with a golf course on the Atlantic side of the island. The beach was on the Caribbean side of a very narrow strip of land just beyond the Marriott. The mountains of Nevis made the scenery perfect. Being divers, it takes a really good snorkel to impress us. This one did. We saw numerous squid, an octopus, and a wide array of fish and other reef life within 30 feet of the shore. Highly recommend it-- so much so that our next trip we might just snorkel there again rather than dive--- nah:) http://www.cruisedivers.blogspot.com

We just returned for 7 day Southern Caribbean cruise and St. Skitts was one of our stop. I am not a diver but have snorkeled several places in the caribbean. I have always tried to find a snorkel spot right off the beach because some members in our group don't like snorkel. The name of the beach we were is Cockelshell, it also at the Caribbean side and pass Mariott but I am not sure it is the same place mentioned by mcgrow because we did not paid for chairs and umbrella. There is a beach bar with foods/drinks and music but the chairs were free. I enjoyed snorkeling there even though there were not a lot of fish and coral formation like Roatan, Cozumel, St. Lucia, but I saw few unique and very colorful fish that I have never seen at other islands. Also there were a lot star fish there.

On the way to Cockelshell, I saw a bay with tour boat and catamaran dropped people into the water. The taxi told me it is called White House Bay and I believed that you can get there by car because I saw a narrow road connected to the main road. However, I did not see any beach bar and chairs or umbrellas for rent. You can check it with the taxi.

Have fun

MTV

Archived