Caribbean Princess Engine Problems

David21

Is anyone besides me getting the feeling that Princess is going to try to keep this ship limping along for as long as possible until drydock in January? I don't feel great about my upcoming cruise next month and am starting to wonder what my chances are of canceling and getting a full refund (probably not good). It's not as if the cruise line is dealing with an unexpected situation now. I don't feel that it is right to expect the passengers to accept a/c problems and port changes and shortened hours in port due to a problem with the ship's engines that for whatever reason is not being/cannot be repaired while the ship continues to remain in service. What if there's a hurricane and the ship can't get away from it fast enough because it can only go slow?

A few years ago a family I knew was booked on another line that was having major engine problems. Their cruise ended up being canceled but they got a refund and the same cruise for free the following year.

Is anyone besides me getting the feeling that Princess is going to try to keep this ship limping along for as long as possible until drydock in January? I don't feel great about my upcoming cruise next month and am starting to wonder what my chances are of canceling and getting a full refund (probably not good). It's not as if the cruise line is dealing with an unexpected situation now. I don't feel that it is right to expect the passengers to accept a/c problems and port changes and shortened hours in port due to a problem with the ship's engines that for whatever reason is not being/cannot be repaired while the ship continues to remain in service. What if there's a hurricane and the ship can't get away from it fast enough because it can only go slow?

A few years ago a family I knew was booked on another line that was having major engine problems. Their cruise ended up being canceled but they got a refund and the same cruise for free the following year.

Please try not to worry. You or anyone else on this board do not know what the problems are or when they will get fixed. The engineering staff aboard do ant are trying to remedy the situation. The ship is not limping along just cruising at a reduced speed that is in fact faster than many of the older ships presently cruising the high seas. Please stop your worrying I am sure that Princess is operating in a safe manner. I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise.

I'm actually writing under my mothers name here. She is on the Carribean Princess as week speak. SHe says they are definetly "limping" along. ANd that "no one is saying anything" to them about what the real problem is. Yesterday they were due to be in San Juan at 4:00, they then told them it would be more like 4:30. Which isnt bad, when you think about it, but i guess if you have an excursion, that could be affected.

She called me on her cell at 4:03pm and said that are almost in port, she said it seemed like forever to actually get into port. i believe they did end up in around 4:30. She called me from the Coach outlet around 5, so I knew they definetly had arrieved on land. THey are due for St. Thomas today at 7am...so we shall see if they arrive late.

My mom is in a group of 10 (most of my family). they are having a wonderful time despite going slower. the only other issue going on is every so often there are these "warm spots", meaning the a/c isnt working. So my aunt has been carrying around her mini fan everyone. SO if your going next on this ship, I recomment bringing a mini fan and maybe one for your room too.

From another live from post on the main CC board - person currently on the ship -

This is coming directly from the Hotel Manager. There is a problem with one of the Diesel Generators, some people call that an engine. Princess has flown 4 people from Finland in to look at the problem. It seems the generator is still under warranty and Princess does not want to do anything to alter the warranty. At present they will continue to operate the ship as is. The ship can do a maximum of about 20 knots compared to a usual speed of 25 knots, that is why we are having so many changes.

From another live from post on the main CC board - person currently on the ship -

This is coming directly from the Hotel Manager. There is a problem with one of the Diesel Generators, some people call that an engine. Princess has flown 4 people from Finland in to look at the problem. It seems the generator is still under warranty and Princess does not want to do anything to alter the warranty. At present they will continue to operate the ship as is. The ship can do a maximum of about 20 knots compared to a usual speed of 25 knots, that is why we are having so many changes.

GREAT Update! Thanks so much.

I can accept port changes, or shortened time in port and more time on the ship. What I should not be expected to accept is if the ship isn't operating smoothly. There are reports that the AC is spotty, and that public places such as the theater are uncomfortably warm. This is not acceptable to us! I'm very concerned.

The U.S. Coast Guard is responsible for verifying that ships comply with all the international standards such as the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) convention and with U.S. laws. The International Maritime Organization, a United Nations agency, makes rules on safety standards.

The Coast Guard's annual reviews focus mainly on fire protection, lifesaving equipment and procedures such as lifeboat drills, crew competence and pollution prevention. It also looks at engineering systems, emergency generator under load, the steering system, remote fuel shutoff valves and bilge pumps.

The Coast Guard looks at ships twice a year. The lines know when they're coming.

If the ship passes its annual inspection, it is issued a Coast Guard

Certificate of Inspection valid for one year. The certificate must be displayed where passengers can see it.

The Coast Guard has the authority to require correction of any deficiencies before allowing the ship to take on passengers at the U.S. port.

Enforcement can be as simple as fixing something on the spot. Or the Coast Guard can keep a vessel at the port.

I can accept port changes, or shortened time in port and more time on the ship. What I should not be expected to accept is if the ship isn't operating smoothly. There are reports that the AC is spotty, and that public places such as the theater are uncomfortably warm. This is not acceptable to us! I'm very concerned.

Donna,

I was on the June 22nd sailing and the ship was as smooth as it could be in the rough waters we were sailing in. I have pictures if you want to see them. Accept for being in other peoples rooms I was all of that ship and did not feel any place that was warm expect out side on the decks. My wife actually needed a sweater most times we were inside and asked me to turn DOWN the AC in our room.

Except for moving a little slower ( I would not have noticed if someone hadn't told me) the ship is fine.

Personally I would stop reading the threads about the ship issues and just concentrate on the great time you are going to have. The ship is great and so is the entertainment. Don't sweat the shorter port stays as I'm sure you will make the best of it. Have a great time.......

The theater was quite cool. The only places I noticed it was in the stairwells at times.

Thanks Kevin and Zippy! Your posts make me feel better. The AC is the only issue I am worried about, so I hope we find it as cool as you did. We're on the first NE/Canada route of the season, which should be cooler than the Caribbean too. I'm not worried about port time - the ports aren't as far apart as they are in the Caribbean.

Thanks Kevin and Zippy! Your posts make me feel better. The AC is the only issue I am worried about, so I hope we find it as cool as you did. We're on the first NE/Canada route of the season, which should be cooler than the Caribbean too. I'm not worried about port time - the ports aren't as far apart as they are in the Caribbean.

have a great time!!:)

I leave on the CB on Thursday...there's Tropical Storm Bertha, which is expected to turn into a hurricane, coming up the Atlantic....how will the slower speed affect the ship going through rough waters? Should I be concerned about sailing out on a limping ship on the outskirts of a possible hurricane? :eek:

I leave on the CB on Thursday...there's Tropical Storm Bertha, which is expected to turn into a hurricane, coming up the Atlantic....how will the slower speed affect the ship going through rough waters? Should I be concerned about sailing out on a limping ship on the outskirts of a possible hurricane? :eek:

It's still too early to say if or where Bertha will hit.

But, it's a good idea to keep an eye on it.

Even with "limping along", hurricane Bertha and any other concerns I am so ready for Thursday!!! There is not a thing I can do about the ship or the weather but I can enjoy the cruise and I will even if we just sail around Brooklyn!!!

Even with "limping along", hurricane Bertha and any other concerns I am so ready for Thursday!!! There is not a thing I can do about the ship or the weather but I can enjoy the cruise and I will even if we just sail around Brooklyn!!!

You're leaving on Thursday too? Have you joined our roll call? If not stop by and say hello...we have a meet n greet planned for the 1st sea day....

July 10, 2008~~Caribbean Princess~~ - Cruise Forums - Cruise Message Boards - Cruise Critic

I plan on having a good time too, but I'm just wondering how this limping ship will be able to handle it, if indeed it turns out to be a hurricane :eek:

You're leaving on Thursday too? Have you joined our roll call? If not stop by and say hello...we have a meet n greet planned for the 1st sea day....

July 10, 2008~~Caribbean Princess~~ - Cruise Forums - Cruise Message Boards - Cruise Critic

I plan on having a good time too, but I'm just wondering how this limping ship will be able to handle it, if indeed it turns out to be a hurricane :eek:

I'm with you frofro!! I will be right there with ya!! Wondering the same things you are.:eek:

That's a WONDERFUL attitude :D We were on the June 22nd cruise and even with the rough sailing, messed up ports and "limping" along, we STILL had a wonderful cruise. I never felt any of the warm spots (with the exception of the elevators when crowded), and I'm not one that handles that well.

As far as the $75 Goodwill credit we recieved the second to last day, please remember, in most case we had one DAY notice of our port time change. In the case of Bermuda it was changed, yet AGAIN, the evening before, shortening even more, to only 4 hours our time there. By the time we disembarked we had less than that :( . As a result almost ALL excursions had to be canceled. So those of you that have WEEKS of notice are way ahead of us :rolleyes:

AND a side note, we had 24 hours to spend that $$$$$. It was spend it or loss it. There was no getting a credit for the balance, and I didn't hear a lot of whinning. In the case of my husband and I that was $150 off our bill. However there where some families that didn't have big bills AND had several children so that credit amounted to $300 plus....hard to spend in 24 hours.

Yet the vast majority of 2000 plus passengers on the 6/22 sailing of the CB seemed to have had a wonderful vacation!

Keep in mind, those that complain, post the most.

Happy Sailings,

Life is What You Make of It!

Anne

The currrent buzz on the 7/10 CB roll call board is concern is that if Bertha turns into a hurricane and if in that scenario the storm heads towards the planned Caribbean itinerary track, the ship will instead go north up to...Canada.

Nothing against Canadians, but yuck!!!! :eek: I sure hope that doesn't happen to the 7/10 crowd and that we don't experience that same risk on my CB sailing (8/15).

Well, those are the risks you take when you book a cruise during Hurricane Season :D

The currrent buzz on the 7/10 CB roll call board is concern is that if Bertha turns into a hurricane and if in that scenario the storm heads towards the planned Caribbean itinerary track, the ship will instead go north up to...Canada.

Nothing against Canadians, but yuck!!!! :eek: I sure hope that doesn't happen to the 7/10 crowd and that we don't experience that same risk on my CB sailing (8/15).

I have been away from the boards for awhile. I found this post today and while I haven't read it all what I have read is interesting. We were on one of the short 3 day cruises back in May and I noticed then that the ship was having problems. I had sailed on her twice before and I knew it felt different during dinner. We also lost power. Here is a the review I posted in May and talked about what we experienced:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=772130

With all that going on I still would go again in instant on the CB if I could!

I have been away from the boards for awhile. I found this post today and while I haven't read it all what I have read is interesting. We were on one of the short 3 day cruises back in May and I noticed then that the ship was having problems. I had sailed on her twice before and I knew it felt different during dinner. We also lost power. Here is a the review I posted in May and talked about what we experienced:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=772130

With all that going on I still would go again in instant on the CB if I could!

Strange, I was on her for the 4/11 4 day and she appeared normal.:confused:

I'm with you frofro!! I will be right there with ya!! Wondering the same things you are.:eek:

Hi Vic49!

Hopefully there's no hurricane and the CB can limp away in calmer seas!

Hope to see you at the meet n greet! :)

Is anyone besides me getting the feeling that Princess is going to try to keep this ship limping along for as long as possible until drydock in January? I don't feel great about my upcoming cruise next month and am starting to wonder what my chances are of canceling and getting a full refund (probably not good)...What if there's a hurricane and the ship can't get away from it fast enough because it can only go slow?

This is exactly what my husband and I have been worrying about. It's like you were typing what was in our heads. I have been reading everything and trying to weed out the panic and listen to those who have travelled more and have calmer heads. A few days ago my husband shared his fears and then I got worried all over again.

Except for moving a little slower (I would not have noticed if someone hadn't told me) the ship is fine. Personally I would stop reading the threads about the ship issues and just concentrate on the great time you are going to have. The ship is great and so is the entertainment. Don't sweat the shorter port stays as I'm sure you will make the best of it. Have a great time.......

Kevin---THANK YOU! You are so right. This is what I needed to hear. I know that Princess wouldn't put people at risk and if they are travelling then it must be fine. Listening to all the speculation will just freak me out. I'm going to do my best to try to ignore it.

Just thought I would point out that are many reasons for reduced speeds of ships. You can find a lot of useful information (wave heights etc.) that our government has online from weather buoys at:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/

one posting off the coast of NY states

"Alert: Right whales are active off NY.

NOAA recommends vessels reduce speeds below 10 knots, when consistent with safe navigation. For latest sightings, go to: http://rwhalesightings.nefsc.noaa.gov/ "

Another useful site for information on hurricanes is:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Since people on this thread have seemed concerned about rough seas and also the possible effect of Bertha I hope that these links are be of some value, if not then disregard.

Archived