Help!! 7 day Alaska or 14 day Panama Canal

LegalCat

I see that Panama Canal has been chosen by Legal Cat, but I have a question. I've been to Alaska and it is beautiful, awesome. I've never been attracted to a Panama Canal cruise. Is this a guy thing, with the engineering stuff, or am I missing something?

Hi there...well i think part of it is definately a guy thing... he has always been interetsed in it after seeing shows about it on the discovery channel etc... i love to cruise and i just always considered panama canal just one of those cruises everyone should do once in their life lol... like hawaii and alaska... we had no idea we would do hawaii in 2008... it just fell into place.. and then we had NO plans to do a cruise in 2009 and then with the credits we got from NCL we just couldnt pass it up... so its amazing to me that we get to do two of our wish list cruises within 2 years lol... a big part of the reason we did not go with alaska is my parents and my sister and her husband have always wanted to sail alaska...my sisters 6 yr old son has been fighting cancer since he was born and hes critically ill ... they definately wont be able to go in 2009... we always said we would go together... so the mor i thought about it the more i said you know.. we always said we all anted to go so we should all go together as a group....

the mor i thought about it the more i said you know.. we always said we all anted to go so we should all go together as a group....

Awwww, that's very sweet and thoughtful of you. I hope he gets better soon so that you can all enjoy Alaska together.

As for the Panama Canal, yeah, I think it is definately a guy thing. My DH doesn't even really like to vacation, or at least NOT NEARLY as much as I do. However, he has expressed interest in doing the Panama Canal cruise. He is really into how things work and we too have seen the shows on the Discovery Channel about the PC a zillion times so I think that is what psyched him up for it.

For some reason that cruise just doesn't interest me. It's not just the PC, I would actually like to see that, it is mostly the ports of call. None of them really interest me. I am more of a Hawaii, Aruba, Curacao, and DEFINATELY Mediterranean kind of person when it comes to cruising. Luckily he is interested in doing an Alaska cruise and thanks to a whole lot of saving, we get to go next year!

It's funny LegalCat because I also have a "wish list" of cruises I want to go on. I am pretty sure that the Panama Canal one is last on my list, lol. But I'm sure you will love it and if nothing else, giving into what your hubby wants to do is always a nice thing to do! Just think... he picked this cruise so you get to pick where you want to go on the next one!

The decider for me would be the timing. The Alaska cruise is early in the season and would be chilly.

Viv

See, it goes to show you, different strokes for different folks. I want to go to Alaska early in the season, the earlier the better. Chilly weather, or just plain cold, is not a detterent for me because I live in Miami and believe me, I get sick of all this sunny weather because in the end it is just plain HOT! So cold for me would be a very welcome relief.

Unfortunately I have to wait for the kids to get out of school. What I am doing is going the last week of May. My kids will miss a few days of school but by then, testing is all done and most of the school days are half-days anyways. Going 1 week early before school lets out is saving me $500 on the cruise fare so that is a plus too! ;)

See, it goes to show you, different strokes for different folks. I want to go to Alaska early in the season, the earlier the better. Chilly weather, or just plain cold, is not a detterent for me because I live in Miami and believe me, I get sick of all this sunny weather because in the end it is just plain HOT! So cold for me would be a very welcome relief.

Unfortunately I have to wait for the kids to get out of school. What I am doing is going the last week of May. My kids will miss a few days of school but by then, testing is all done and most of the school days are half-days anyways. Going 1 week early before school lets out is saving me $500 on the cruise fare so that is a plus too! ;)

My home is in Texas, and it gets hot here too. So I know where you are coming from.

But I sail to Alaska to get relief from this Texas heat, so July or August is when I'd book an Alaskan cruise.

To each individual, different strokes for different folks. :)

My home is in Texas, and it gets hot here too. So I know where you are coming from.

But I sail to Alaska to get relief from this Texas heat, so July or August is when I'd book an Alaskan cruise.

To each individual, different strokes for different folks. :)

We went in early May. It was beautiful but still chilly. The mountains had more snow (I look at the Pearl webcam). I would really appreciate the lower temps now, I think; it's around 96-98 and no rain.:( I believe anytime you can go to Alaska is worth it; it was awesome!:)

I forgot the part about less passengers, less children, less crowded ports. All the other ships start sailing the week after and the price went WAY up.

Archived