Herrington Rods and Scuba

Hi Everyone

I did the discovery dive in Barbados this past year and am hooked :) I'm hoping to take the PADI course before our next cruise, or at least complete the basics and do the checkout dives on the cruise. DW is interested as well but has a question. She has Herrington Rods in her back due to Scoliosis. Even with these rods she has decent flexibility She is wondering if the rods may end up disqualifying her from being able to dive. Thought I would ask the experts here before doing more investigation. If it doesn't disqualify her she is certainly interested in trying a discovery dive.

Warren and Yvonne

Hi Everyone

I did the discovery dive in Barbados this past year and am hooked :) I'm hoping to take the PADI course before our next cruise, or at least complete the basics and do the checkout dives on the cruise. DW is interested as well but has a question. She has Herrington Rods in her back due to Scoliosis. Even with these rods she has decent flexibility She is wondering if the rods may end up disqualifying her from being able to dive. Thought I would ask the experts here before doing more investigation. If it doesn't disqualify her she is certainly interested in trying a discovery dive.

Warren and Yvonne

This is something she has to discuss with her doctor as I'm sure that will require a doctor's authorization letter before an instructor will take her on. As far as general experience with this type of injury, you might try getting in touch with DAN (diversalertnetwork.org). They're the recognized experts on the medical effects of diving. They have a toll-free number and answer a lot of questions on medical conditions and can help you find a "diving aware" doctor if you need one.

Randall

It's not considered an injury. I'm fused from C-6 to L-4 with the implantation of a Harrington Rod. I have been SCUBA diving for 22 years. When I first got certified my fusion was approx. 5 years old. It will depend on how her fusion took and how post-op she is. Not recommended if it's been within the last 3 years (osteoblasts and revascularization are still at work here). It was never an issue with any of my dive instructors (in California).

Her flexion will be fine. The only thing that kind of slows me down on a crowded dive boat is when we have to put our BCDs on when the tank is in the holder. I don't have the flexibility of arching my back to get both arms in at the same time. I also have never done a back roll off of the boat, always a giant stride. It probably doesn't make a difference, just a subconscious preference on my part. I'm excited for her. She will love it. I don't know how old she is, but I find that being weightless under the water feels so good. You may want to start saving up, once she experiences SCUBA you are probably going to have an addict on your hands! If she has any questions she can email me at syvlaura@gmail.com

Happy diving!!! ~Travelbugs

Randall

Thanks for the info. I too have certainly advised her to discuss with her doc before making a final decision.

Travelbugs

Fantastic info! Yvonne is in her mid 40's and is fused from T1-L3. She has had her rods for 24 years so shouldn't be an issue with the revascularization :) The only real thing she's concerned about is being able to clear her ears and I told her that will most likely come with training and experience! I will certainly be passing along your email if she wants further info :) Thanks again !!

Warren and Yvonne

Hi,

Ear clearing is something you'll work through as part of your training. I can't dive to the bottom of a 8 ft. pool without an ear ache but have dove down to 130 ft. diving. It's the difference in taking the time to clear your ears at the surface and in the first few feet. In a pool you have 1/2 a breath, in diving you have 30 minutes if you need it. Search the threads on ears, we've got quite a number of responses on this topic.

Randall

Archived