November 2009 Scuba Cruise Aboard Liberty of the Seas

Sailfish

CruiseCriticLogo2.gif

2009 Scuba Cruise Information, Pricing & Booking Details

RCI_Liberty_ExteriorSide_2-w600.jpg

4th Annual Cruise Critic Scuba Cruise

November 15, 2009

The fourth annual 2009 Scuba Cruise aboard Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas is being sponsored by Cruise Critic and is now ready to begin the booking process. Suzi, who is also known by the screen name of Sailfish, is going to be the group leader and the dive coordinator; she is also the person in charge of the Group Forum for the cruise here at Cruise Critic.

This group cruise is open to both divers and non-divers. Typically, we get get a 50% - 50% split between members who are non-divers and those who dive with the group. An optional 2 tank boat dive package is scheduled to be offered to the certified scuba divers in the group in each port of call and is not included in the price of the cruise. The dive package is not available to the public, and you must be booked into the group cruise to be eligible to dive with the group.

Suzi is an experienced group leader and a PADI certified scuba diver with hundreds of great dives logged in the Caribbean. She has been leading cruise groups since 1994; the 2009 Scuba Cruise will be the fourth one she has lead for Cruise Critic. The group forum is an excellent resource for information pertaining to the cruise and to dive package. However, if you have any questions or would like a brochure, please email Suzi, the group leader at your earliest convenience.

Important Sail Date Information

The Liberty of the Seas will be departing from the Port of Miami on Sunday, November 15, 2009 and scheduled to return to its home port the following Sunday. Please note that the US Thanksgiving holiday will be observed on November 26, 2009, the Thursday following debarkation. That means, you won't miss Thanksgiving with the family, but if you have to fly home, it may be a little crazy!

Deposit Info

Initial deposit of $250pp is due at the time of booking.

Final payment is due August 7, 2009.

There will be a $50 cancellation fee per cabin imposed by the booking agent.

To book this cruise BE SURE AND ASK FOR Johna at Crucon.com at 1-800-493-6609

Voyage Itinerary & Overview

Day 1 Sun, November 15, 2009 Miami Embarkation

Day 2 Mon, November 16, 2009 Day at Sea

Day 3 Tue, November 17, 2009 Costa Maya

Day 4 Wed, November 18, 2009 Belize

Day 5 Thu, November 19, 2009 Cozumel

Day 6 Fri, November 20, 2009 Grand Cayman

Day 7 Sat, November 21, 2009 Day at Sea

Day 8 Sun, November 22, 2009 Miami Debarkation

LibertyoftheSeasmain03.jpg

Pricing

Inside Q $830.45 per person (double occupancy only) (best value)

Inside L $870.45 per person

Ocean view I $980.45 per person

Balcony E2 $1,079.45 per person (best value)

Balcony D1 $1,191.45 per person

Suites JS $1,830.45 per person

Triples and Quads SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME

Inside L $595.45 per person

Ocean view I $595.45 per person

Balcony D1 $595.45 per person

Suites JS $595.45 per person

All rates above are based on per person, double occupancy and include port charges, fuel surcharge and taxes and are subject to availability, so book soon to get the cabin you want. There is a $50 cancellation charge imposed by CruCon (the booking agent) for this cruise.

Cruise Critic Group Cruise Includes:

$100 on board credit per cabin

Cruise Critic Lanyards or similar (One per person)

Cruise Critic Magnet or similar (One per cabin)

15% Discount on all other Cruise Critic Logowear

What is a Cruise Critic Group?

Five million visitors strong, Cruise Critic is a critically acclaimed interactive community comprised of avid and first-time cruisers who enjoy the fun of planning, researching and sharing their passion for cruising. No other single resource covers the world of cruising as thoroughly as CruiseCritic.com. Cruise Critic’s world-renowned editorial staff offers objective cruise reviews, features, ports of call profiles and destination stories not to mention, group cruises. The Cruise Critic message boards are the most active in the world.

Since its inception in 1995, Cruise Critic has earned the status of being the most influential cruise site on the Web, and an innovator of consumer-oriented cruise travel news. This particular group cruise is being sponsored by Cruise Critic, and Suzi (aka Sailfish), the Group Leader was selected by Cruise Critic to lead the group.

Cruise Critic selected CruCon Cruise Outlet to handle the booking for this group cruise. CruCon’s agent, Johna, deals directly with a Royal Caribbean Group Coordinator to accommodate our group’s booking. If you have any questions related to your booking or payment history, you must contact Johna at CruCon. If you have any group related questions, including those concerning scuba diving, you will need to contact Suzi, the Group Leader. Suzi is in Northern California and can easily be contacted by email.

All group cruises are open to members of Cruise Critic, their families and friends. You do not have to be a certified scuba diver to book this cruise. People who will book this Cruise Critic Scuba Group Cruise will do so for the following reasons:

• GroupAmenities - $100 per cabin shipboard credit
  • “No Hassle” Diving
  • Competitive Group Pricing
  • Ability to Meet New Friends
  • A Perfect Family Vacation for Divers traveling with Non-Divers
  • A Great Itinerary Alternative to standard Western Caribbean Ports of Call
  • Amazing Ship you have to see to believe!

All Scuba Cruises tend to be low key and focus on diving for the certified members of the group, however, non-divers are included in all group related activities. You are free to do your own thing – dive with the group everyday, when it suits your schedule, or not at all. Dinner time is group time; enjoy your fellow group members company every night or dine with your family and friends - it's up to you!

Suzi, your group leader will be communicating with you through the Group Forum at Cruise Critic. She will post important information pertaining to the group and regular updates there. It's recommended if you join the group that you subscribe to the group forum.

Who Are Your Fellow Scuba Cruise Members?

Simply based on questions I receive via email on a regular basis, it's obvious people are interested in knowing more about the group's membership and me, your group leader. I tend to be low key and would rather not post a lot of personal information in a public forum. But like many people, I understand the need to know a little more about the person coordinating this group, so without disclosing anymore than I have to, here is some input about me and my group.

First off, I am married and my husband is also a certified scuba diver. I have been leading groups for many years - began coordinating volleyball cruises in 1994 for my husband's local adult volleyball league. Over the years, our tri-annual volleyball cruises include competitive play aboard the ships and a land based volleyball tournament. In 2006, we had close to 80 members aboard the Carnival Pride with us!

It was only natural to coordinate a scuba cruise, as I am avid scuba diver. Just about all our vacations include diving, so when I was offered the chance to put together a Scuba Cruise for Cruise Critic in 2005, I jumped at the chance.

I obtained my open water certification in 1994 and my advance open water certification 10 years after that. By the time I got my AOW out of the way, I had already logged in hundreds of dives. But if I was going to lead a scuba cruise, it was something I was encouraged to get. Please note that I am not a dive master, nor am I an expert on the sport of diving. I consider scuba diving a hobby, and enjoy cruising. All our group dives utilize local diver operators and a licensed dive master leads the actual dives. I am in charge on land, and a local DM is in charge under the water!

I live and work in Northern California. As I work in education, I have a modified year round work calendar that allows me to travel during off-peak times. I don't get to dive locally much, as I live in a land-locked area. We generally dive three or four times a year mainly in the Caribbean and Mexico.

My husband and I are in our mid-40's - like us, our groups generally consist of people in the 30-50 year age group (give or take 7-10 years) who share an interest in diving or the ports of call we visit. We get both newly certified folks as well as very experienced divers - my husband and I fall somewhere in the middle. People often ask me to describe our members to help them decide whether to join the group or not. We get a good cross section of society, but many divers in the group tend to be professional folks with limited vacation time, often traveling with non-diving significant others, so a cruise to good diving destinations seem to be a big draw. They tend to dive with the group, but many also maintain their privacy much of the time on the cruise.

We do encourage the divers to get to know one another over the course of the cruise and quite a few get together for drinks and dinner. But as the group leader, I respect everyone's privacy and make every effort to not over-structure the time spent with the group. Both divers and non-divers alike are welcome. We often see returning members.

A significant number of our members are not what I would consider part of the online cruise community. In other words, they are not people who frequent cruise message boards, participate in roll call forums or are active members of any cruise related website. They usually find out about the scuba cruise by searching online and only log onto the group forum to obtain cruise related information and dive updates.

A smaller percentage are people who are active members of Cruise Critic who do enjoy participating in the online community. These are the folks that will be more inclined to participate in Roll Call Forums and leave replies on threads. They often are our non-diving members. Both groups interact quite well once on the ship and those who enjoy the planning and social aspects of Cruise Critic will have the added advantage of getting to know some of the members in advance of the cruise!

I hope this helps to answer some questions you might have regarding the group leader and who your fellow group members might be. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email me, your group leader.

icon1.gif

sandy-logo-350x105.jpg

CruCon's Prices & How They Compare to other Agencies

Johna at CruCon wanted me to pass along some very important, yet little known information about our group pricing. Every year, we hear from people who tell us that they found a better deal elsewhere. To be honest with you, I can't blame anyone for wanting to save money, however, Johna has told me that she seldom turns away people who contact her with a lower price. It's okay to shop around for a lower rate, but please don't book your cruise elsewhere until you make one final call to Johna to see how your prices compares with hers.

If you decide to do some price shopping, please be sure you factor in all fees - if you go to online cruise supplies, often these fees don't appear until check-out. Calling the cruise line directly is a good place to begin. You will want to add together the cruise fare, taxes and fees and the fuel supplement; remember, CruCon's pricing includes all this. Also, if you are a past guest, CruCon will factor in any past guest discounts, like those afforded to Crown & Anchor members.

And finally, don't forget about the group's $100 shipboard credit perk. That too should help influence your decision.

2009 Scuba Cruise Dive Package Information

The 2009 Scuba Cruise Dive Package will be coordinated by ShoreTrips. They have done an awesome job putting together dive packages for our scuba group cruises several years in a row. They negotiate with local dive operators, obtain the best rates, and provide us with a 100% refund in the event we are unable to dive. They also provide the group with an online web page and the ability to book and pay for the dives at a secure website.

Every effort is made to keep the dive group together in one or two boats. The divers will be issued a dive voucher for each port in which they choose to dive in advance of the sailing that will have details concerning the dive. Dive waiver forms will be emailed out and a buddy list established prior to the cruise by the group leader. All divers are encouraged to subscribe to the group forum as group communication will primarily be done online. A pre-dive meeting will be scheduled the first day at sea to allow the dive group to meet, to discuss debarkation procedures, to establish the location on the ship where the dive group will meet each day prior to diving, and to go over the mandatory paperwork associated with scuba diving.

If you are a certified diver, you know that scuba diving is an expensive sport. Please note that you are under no obligation to dive with the group. In fact, we have a list of quality dive operations in each of our ports of call that we'd be happy to disclose to you if you prefer to make your own arrangements. We will have prices and detailed information about each dive package posted at the group forum around the middle of January 2009. Joann, our group dive coordinator at ShoreTrips wanted me to let you know that none of the dive shops used for the group at our ports of call run cattle boat operations. They limit the number of divers, include transportation and a lot of extras you won't get elsewhere. Joann is a diver and visits all the dive operations used by ShoreTrips regularly.

I recommend you visit www.shoretrips.com to get an idea of what to expect as far as pricing is concerned. More often than not, the published rates at ShoreTrips will be somewhat less than what the cruise line would charge for a similar dive package. Our group prices will be a little lower than the prices posted at their website, as ShoreTrips negotiates a group discount and also includes transportation.

I expect most of the dive operations to limit the number of divers they can accommodate to around 12-16. There is a dive boat list at the group forum where we can all keep track of who is going to be diving with the group and how each dive boat is filling up. The 2006 scuba cruise dove in most of these ports of call, so I am very familiar with each dive operator. You can anticipate it costing a little over $400pp to dive two tanks in each port of call - the dives in Belize will be the most expensive - all the others should price out at under $100 (this is taking into consideration that the price of our dives will no doubt go up in 2009). Pricing probably won't be available until after January 2009, but I will post what ever information I do have available at the group forum.

In the mean time, I will be posting information about each port of call and what our choices are (if any) as to the type of diving from which we can choose. In Belize, we can either do a two tank reef dive from town, or fly over to Ambergris Cay and do two tanks there. I have dived both locations while on a cruise, and will post the pros and cons for each. In Cozumel and in Costa Maya, we will do a few drift dives, along a wall in Cozumel and two very nice reef dives in Costa Maya. In Grand Cayman, we are looking at doing two wall dives. We will also offer the Stingray City Scuba Dive in addition to the two tank wall dive if there is interest. In all, a total of 8 logged dives are possible while on this cruise.

More information as it becomes available will be posted at the Group Forum. Please don't hesitate to email the group leader if you have any questions.

Say Hello to the Liberty of the Seas!

Always looking for the next big thing? Say hello to one of the world's biggest and most imaginative maritime marvels - Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas. This second addition to their Freedom class of ships comes fully loaded with an unlimited supply of onboard adventure. You'll find a surf park, full-size boxing ring, H20 Zone water park (complete with ground geysers) plus flat screen TVs in every stateroom-and that's just the short list. Liberty also offers Royal Caribbean's very own Vitality wellness program that will rejuvenate your body and soul with soothing spa treatments, healthy menus, personal trainers, tons of fitness options and more!

I had an opportunity to cruise aboard the Liberty of the Seas in 2007 - on one of four pre-inaugural sailings - and although I found it to be very similar to the other Voyager class ships in Royal Caribbean's fleet, I felt it was different enough to make any Voyager Class ship aficionado to say WOW! The ship had more outside activities and quite a few new features that even passengers familiar with the other Voyager class ships in Royal Caribbean's fleet would find amazing! This cruise is not going to be well suited for more sedentary types or people looking for a more intimate cruise experience. The ship is "on your face" big and best suited for more active types.

The Liberty of the Seas is enormous; at over 4000 passengers, it's not the kind of ship that makes everyone happy. But it does offer a lot to families with older kids (the ones hardest to please) and to people like us who enjoy competitive sports like volleyball, or who prefer to spend their days at sea doing more than watching a hairy chest contest by the pool. That said, the Scuba Cruise will be sailing at a time when we know that kids are still in school. I would expect a few young children to be on the voyage, but I have a hunch you'll see more adults than kids on this cruise. You'll also find the staff catering more to adults as far as activities go.

Our Cruise in 2007

In May of 2007, we spent three full days and two nights on a pre-inaugural sailing. It gave me a taste of what to expect, but by no means do I consider myself an expert! My input should give you an idea of what you can expect, though for more information, I would recommend you check out the numerous reviews on the Liberty of the Seas at Cruise Critic.

Our Stateroom

Were assigned cabin 2616 on the Liberty of the Seas – a standard outside stateroom. This was a free cruise comped by Royal Caribbean, and although I would have much preferred a balcony, I was pleased as punch to be on the cruise, and would have been happy ANYWHERE on the ship!!! The room was comfortable and had adequate storage for a seven night cruise. It wasn't much different than cabins you would see on other Voyager class ships, but if this will be your first cruise on one of these ships, it's good to have some input.

There were two large half circle windows in the cabin above the bed – we opted to have the beds together, but they could also convert to two twin beds. As you would expect, everything was clean and new. The bed was very comfortable – crisp white European style bedding with a comforter completed the package. We had a small pull-out couch, and a coffee table. There was a small closet, but enough drawer space to easily accommodate 7 nights worth of clothes. There was a hair dryer in one of the drawers – it worked well, but it’s the kind that has the button you must keep depressed to work. This is pretty much the same type they have on most Royal Caribbean ships, but since it’s new, it worked very well.

The bathroom had a shampoo dispenser that had shampoo & conditioner printed on it, but all it had was shampoo. The special shampoo and soap were okay, but if you are used to salon quality shampoos like Paul Mitchel, you won’t like it, in my opinion. There is a lot of storage and the bathroom design is identical to other Voyager/Freedom class ships. The towels are to die for – thicker and more absorbent than those on other ships, but heck, they are brand new! No telling if they will be like that when you cruise, but we can only hope!

For the sake of comparison, we also had an outside cabin aboard the Majesty of the Seas just prior to this cruise. Our cabin window was different, but the over all look to the room was very much the same. The bathroom was also configured the same, but had a shower curtain instead of shower doors, as you see on most Voyager class ships and the Liberty.

I would venture to say our room aboard the Majesty was a little bigger with slightly more storage, but it was a high end outside cabin on Deck 9 whereas the one we had on the Liberty was a basic model on Deck 2. On the Majesty, we had bottles of lotion, shower gel, shampoo and conditioner as well as the shower dispenser of shampoo (the kind you see on all other Royal Caribbean ships). We saw none of this on the Liberty, but you might. Remember, we were on a special sailing with limited amenities. Not everything we experienced will be identical to what you I will see in November 2009.

Dining

Our dining experience aboard the Liberty of the Seas was not typical of any other Royal Caribbean ship we have been on lately. We sailed aboard the Radiance in September 07, the Explorer in late December 07 and on the Majesty just days prior to this Pre-Inaugural. We have logged in 24 or more (I don’t recall the exact number any more) cruises on Royal Caribbean including multiple voyages aboard the Mariner and Navigator and although the food has always been good, the food quality and preparation on the Liberty was far superior, in my opinion. I hate to say it, but I suspect it had something to do with the fact this was a Pre-Inaugural voyage. Maybe not; I'll let you be the judge. Suffice it to say, my husband and I were impressed and enjoyed our dining experience very much!

Keep in mind the ship was not sailing at full capacity and they were there to impress. Our dining room menu aboard the two night pre-inaugural was identical to the menu on the Majesty. But the cuts of meat were of higher quality, the items were served fresh and HOT, and up in the Windjammer, the selection was better (much, much better than aboard the Explorer in December or the Majesty just days before). Some examples: there was large shrimp every afternoon in the Windjammer – I have never seen this on any other cruise with Royal Caribbean for lunch – only once saw some on the Mariner at dinner.

I don’t want you to think that the food on other Royal Caribbean ships was terrible. On the contrary, I’ve always found what I liked and although it’s not what I would consider to be 4 or 5 star cuisine, it’s quite good. But the meals served on our two day Liberty cruise as well as what we ate in the Windjammer, was markedly improved - it blew the others out of the water! Tender cuts of meat cooked to perfection in the dining room and lots of higher end items in the Windjammer. You should note that food is very subjective – what may impress me may not be the case with you. Regardless, others in our company were just as impressed. Some people we ate with complained about the service in the dining room, but that’s because of the open seating system they had in place for our sailing - we will most likely have an assigned table at an assigned seating time. The waiters we spoke to were all very polished and pleasant – I doubt you’ll find a bad apple in the bunch.

Entertainment

This is where Royal Caribbean really shines! We saw the Ice show and one production show; we also had an opportunity to check out many of the lounge entertainers on the ship and I came away very impressed. The guy at the piano bar, (correct me if I am wrong - Matt Yee I believe is his name), seems to have a loyal following. We got there early and watched his act – very polished. I can’t say I am into sing-alongs, but he was very entertaining, and by the numbers of people present, very popular. Don't plan on seeing the same people two years later!

There was a guitarist in the Hoof and Claw Pub on the Promenade who was very good. He didn’t have what I would call an act but he was familiar with contemporary music and was very funny. The classical guitarist in Boleros was also very good, but he didn’t play very often. The purpose of these pre-inaugurals is to give you a taste of what you can expect. From what I can see, the entertainment on the Liberty will not disappoint. But that can also be said for Royal Caribbean as a rule.

Like all Voyager and Freedom class ships, there is a lot to do. Two days was not enough to do everything! The flowrider was a lot of fun, but ladies, you should plan to wear a one piece or a tee shirt over a two piece bathing suit, because when you wipe-out you could lose your top! And guys, make sure you tie on your trunks!

The pool area is large and includes a kiddie water park – a great place for kids to play. There is no shortage of activities – they have a regulation size volleyball court and basket ball, and miniature golf. Suffice it to say, this class of ship is made for more active people and families on the go.

Just about every aspect of this pre-inaugural would make me want to book a cruise aboard the Liberty of the Seas. I am totally sold on the Voyager/ Freedom class ships!

Luckily, I found the ship to be great, but I have to say that there were several areas on the ship that got very crowded – namely the Promenade during the Parade (a not to be missed show). It was impossible to find a good place to watch the parade – we had seats in the front at the Hoof & Claw Pub and people stood right in front of us. Unless you push yourself to the front, tower above everyone, or are watching the parade from your Promenade View stateroom, it’s hard to see anything. Same thing happened at the 70’s party they had there.

As I am familiar with other Voyager class ships, you can expect other areas of the ship to get very crowded – including the pool areas when the ship is sailing at full capacity, which from what I understand will be the norm.

That’s really the only negative I can really find about this class of ship. I love the design and I love the layout. But I didn’t see any major design changes to overcome some of the crowding issues on Voyager class ships. I have a hunch our particular sailing in November 2009 will not be as full as it can be. I know the ships usually sail at full capacity, however, given this particular voyage returns the same week as Thanksgiving, I doubt we'll have many kids.

The food these days isn’t what it used to be, but there is more to a cruise than the food. And if you are like me, you too will find plenty to choose from.

Conclusion

I always said I would cruise aboard the Liberty of the Seas in a heart beat if it offered a more creative itinerary in the Caribbean - well my prayers have been answered! If I choose to cruise, I do so based on the itinerary, not necessarily the ship though I can see where in Liberty’s case, the ship can be considered the destination!

As I stated earlier, the cruise line made every effort to show off the Liberty to us in the best light possible; it did not sail at full capacity, the food quality was absolutely the best we have had recently and the entertainment top notch. Like the other pre-inaugurals I’m told, in attendance were mostly travel agents. Because I am already a huge fan of Voyager class ships, I wouldn’t hesitate to sail on this ship and if given a choice, I’ll always go with a Voyager class ship over a smaller one. I feel comfortable on this type of ship, though I realize not everyone will. We are very active and prefer many of the sports activities these types of ships offer. Between ports of call, it’s nice to have so many choices on days at sea normally not available on other ships.

We came across a few people who could not imagine themselves taking a cruise on such a large ship. But all agreed that this particular ship was very impressive, Most people we met who had never been on a Voyager class ship were in awe of the Liberty. Those who were familiar with Voyager class ships all felt very much at home. The design, to my surprise, was nearly identical to other Voyager class ships – with a few extras here and there.

Please note that I work in education and lead a few cruise groups every year. We enjoy cruising, but that’s not the only type of travel we engage in. Itinerary is by far the most important factor for us; as we get older, we are finding cruises more to our liking than “live aboards” (if you are a diver, you know what I mean). We are okay logging in 6-8 dives while on a cruise – gone are the days of 24-30 dives in 7 days! As we get into our mid-40’s, we are finding the activity level on these Voyager/Freedom class ships perfect for us and our family.

hey suzi and mike!

great info and sooooo thinking about it! i loved scuba cruise 1 and 2, sorry i'm missing #3 but tahiti calls. sure hope to be on #4! enjoy every day!:D

Hi Jo!!

Good to hear form you too! I am still working the brochure, but once I get it finished, I'll be sending you a copy. Yea - hoping you and the rest of the gang can join us!! I wish I were going to Tahiti with you and Deb - I'll be thinking about you two in October!!

Take care.

Suzi

Our group cruise brochure is now ready to go. Please email me, the group leader, with your request (see my signature below for my email link).

Just an FYI: we will be limiting the number of certified divers to 16 per dive boat sign-up (one boat for 16 divers or two smaller fast boats for 8 in the ports) this trip. Please do your self a favor, and add your name to the dive boat list at the group forum once you book the cruise. You can always delete your name from the list in the event you change your mind or decide not to dive with the group in that port of call.

Non-divers don't have to worry, as they do not factor into the count. But if you want to dive with the group, you'll have to add your name to port of call on the dive boat list. This year's dive group on the Emerald Princess is booking up a lot faster than anticipated. Not sure what the response will be to this dive group, but thought I would let you know.

Thanks.

Suzi

Archived