Nice P&O Story

I Have just spoken to someone who was on a P&O cruise last November with her son.

She has a physically disabled son and finds it difficult to go on holidays, and often they are not treated with respect.

However on that cruise she said that all of the staff were amazing and really ensured that her son had the time of his life. The captain would stop and chat and at one stage gave her son (who loves to look at car magazines) an Italian car magazine to read, they were invited to the captains cocktail party and as they entered the captain came up and spoke to her son. The people in the Karoke bar would waltz him around (he is in a wheelchair) and include him in all of what they were doing. Everyone, from staff to guests showed enormous respect and even as she was telling me this her eyes welled up. She couldn't give them enough praise, and she will always remember this cruise as the most amazing holiday she has ever had as it was one of the few times her son was able to really enjoy himself on holiday.

I think there may yet be more cruises on the agenda for them too:)

on our first pacific sun cruise there was a Downs syndrome older male who loved to sing.

We saw him in karaoke and only could sing the chorus but he had endless enthusiasm.

He later performed at the audience talent/participation show and brought the house down.

To be honest he was not what you would call a "good" singer but he made myself and many others cry tears of joy for him.

He was quite the celebrity on that cruise and rightly so.

I can't tell you how happy I am to read this thread. We're setting sail for our first ever cruise on PD - 20th July. We're getting married on the 24th July in Vanuatu (hopefully no last minute itinerary changes!!). We're taking our immediate family and my partner's mum is disabled after multiple strokes and confined to a wheelchair. She's got limited speech but has her own way of communicating. Strangely enough, but one of her old favourite songs on, and she can sing it perfectly - so maybe she'll get into the karaoke!

We're really nervous that she wont have a good time - fingers crossed the staff go out of their way to make her feel special!

14 days to go - excited beyond words!

I can't tell you how happy I am to read this thread. We're setting sail for our first ever cruise on PD - 20th July. We're getting married on the 24th July in Vanuatu (hopefully no last minute itinerary changes!!). We're taking our immediate family and my partner's mum is disabled after multiple strokes and confined to a wheelchair. She's got limited speech but has her own way of communicating. Strangely enough, but one of her old favourite songs on, and she can sing it perfectly - so maybe she'll get into the karaoke!

We're really nervous that she wont have a good time - fingers crossed the staff go out of their way to make her feel special!

She will have a great time! On our recent cruise, there were many disabled, elderly with walking frames and wheelchairs etc. I loved to watch one young male dance in the dance lessons, he never took the smile off his face:) another young male was collecting coins, and asked all and everyone could they give him coins, which all did!! There was this lovely older man in a walking frame, he was slow and made jokes all the time about how he had run out of petrol etc!! and would come and talk to us when we were sitting in the bar.

Geri and I had lunch one day in the buffet, and some stewards were desparately looking for a seat, we waved and said we had a spare table. They helped a lady up in a walking frame and her husband, sat them down, handed them their food, and napkins etc, the husband cut her food up for her, ( she had had a stroke) it was so lovely to see the staff helping.

Another time in the duty free shops, one of the salepersons were pushing a lady around in her chair, helping her with purchases, she was buying up!!

All will be fine, have a wonderful cruise:)

Chez

xx

Gizz, you bought a tear to the eye of a 6'2 ex rugby player!

That is fantastic to hear and shows that caring people are all around.

My mum takes people with disabilities horse riding and i have never seen her more happy in her life.She rings me and tells me how the week has gone and it has always been a good week since she started doing the rides 6 years ago.

Thanks for that, you have made my day!

P&O the fun ships for all!

Hi sarez, we are travelling on the same cruise. maybe we will see you around ship.

if not, I wish you a wonderful wedding in Vila.

I am sure your mum-in-law will have a lovely time too.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Chez its great to see and hear about. To me it shows love is real and forever when you see older people and the way they care about each other.

I am a hopeless romantic and cant wait till im 80 and see my wife always as the day we met at 22.:D

Chez its great to see and hear about. To me it shows love is real and forever when you see older people and the way they care about each other.

I am a hopeless romantic and cant wait till im 80 and see my wife always as the day we met at 22.:D

Mick, my hubby (not an ex rugby player yet:( , still playing first grade:eek: ) I joke that he will be pushing me around the cruise ships as I am 6 years older than him!! hope he still oves me enough!

Chez

xx

Gee we rugby boys love being toy boys, my wife is a couple older than me!:D

Maybe we just like the experienced princess!:D:D

Tell the young bloke i am ex Randwick{also played a few for souths in brissy} and he will prob hate me for ever!haha

After 25+ years i am now ex but might play next year for a few if i can get my ex NRL brother inlaw to switch to rugby for a few games.

He will love you forever and see you like the day you met, us rugby boys love our rugby and wives like the day we first loved both! or most of us do or was that beer and wives or beer and rugby, now i am confused.:D:D:D

I Have just spoken to someone who was on a P&O cruise last November with her son.

She has a physically disabled son and finds it difficult to go on holidays, and often they are not treated with respect.

However on that cruise she said that all of the staff were amazing and really ensured that her son had the time of his life. The captain would stop and chat and at one stage gave her son (who loves to look at car magazines) an Italian car magazine to read, they were invited to the captains cocktail party and as they entered the captain came up and spoke to her son. The people in the Karoke bar would waltz him around (he is in a wheelchair) and include him in all of what they were doing. Everyone, from staff to guests showed enormous respect and even as she was telling me this her eyes welled up. She couldn't give them enough praise, and she will always remember this cruise as the most amazing holiday she has ever had as it was one of the few times her son was able to really enjoy himself on holiday.

I think there may yet be more cruises on the agenda for them too:)

Glenda,

What a beautiful story, thanks for sharing it!.

Trish

However on that cruise she said that all of the staff were amazing and really ensured that her son had the time of his life.

Hi Glenda

What a great, positive story; thanks for posting it.

I can't recall any of our cruises where there hasn't been a disabled passenger on board. I also can't recall seeing them receive anything but the best service and attention from the crew and fellow passengers.

On one of our cruises there was a group of about ten disabled passengers and they had an absolute ball! My admiration also goes to their carers who hardly get a minute to themselves but are never short of a smile.

If you have disabled relatives or friends, do not hesitate to consider a cruise holiday for them; they will be treated with every consideration and respect.

Glenda,

What a beautiful story, thanks for sharing it!.

Trish

Hi Glenda

What a great, positive story; thanks for posting it.

Sorry Trish

I wrote my post without reading any of the other replies... Then I look back and discover that I have almost stolen your remarks. :o

... Great minds think alike ... ;)

You are going to have an amazing time and I am sure your Partners Mum will enjoy herself immensely.

Congratulations on your upcomming nuptuals for the 24th July, I'm sure I speak for all that we'd love you to write and let us know how your wedding and family cruise went. :D

Archived