Kiel on a Sunday

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up...Kiel is closed on Sundays. I wish I had known this in advance of my visit last week, we would have done an excursion out of town. Everything including the shopping center in port is closed!

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up...Kiel is closed on Sundays. I wish I had known this in advance of my visit last week, we would have done an excursion out of town. Everything including the shopping center in port is closed!

Kiel is not a seaside resort.

All major seaside resorts like Travemünde (Lübeck), Schönberg, Kappeln are somehow more "vivid" and a lot of stores are open.

The stores in Central Station are open. Incl. Tourist Information to tell you what to do.

In about 90 minutes you are in Hamburg and you could have just bought a ticket at the station.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks for the update.

We'll be arriving Kiel on Aug.23, Saturday afternoon from Hamburg to embark on Sunday afternoon. What is the general store hours on Saturday? And what to do on Saturday night, besides bar/club visit?

We'll be arriving Kiel on Aug.23, Saturday afternoon from Hamburg to embark on Sunday afternoon. What is the general store hours on Saturday?

The largest department store Karstadt closes on Saturday at 18.00 hrs.

(e. g. Berlin until 22.00 hrs)

Also one of the central located Shopping Mall (Sophienhof) closes at 18.00 hrs.

And what to do on Saturday night, besides bar/club visit?

I doubt that there is much to do.

http://www.kiel.de/Aemter_01_bis_20/05/Stadtportrait_English/cityportrt1.htm

Frankly spoken: I would stay one more night in Hamburg and go for Kiel on Sunday...

Regards,

HeinBloed

I know the German railway/bus/airline system is much more reliable than other European countries in term of strike notice and maintenance. Still I'd rather be early in the port of embarkation than sorry. Besides, I think 3 nights in Hamburg alone is OK. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Archived