water shoes??

ldw81

We are leaving on our honeymoon (and first) cruise on the 20th!! Yay!, it's finally here!!

We are set to sail on Destiny for the southern Caribbean. My question is this..we are going to do a hike, kayak, and snorkel excursion in St. Thomas. Should I get water shoes for something like that??

I have water shoes (WMart $5) that I've used when I've been snorkeling or walking on the beaches. Sure helps on the feet; sometimes those little pebbles and hot sand hurt!:eek:

I have some water shoes from WM a couple years ago that have been thru Disney, Sea World etc. They were so comfy, the ones I bought this year aren't though, they look the same but seem cheaper made, wouldn't want to walk long distances in them.

Personally if I was going to be doing active excursions that include hiking. I would go for a higher quality water shoe like Keens or something.

Word to the wise on water shoes...I'd TOTALLY get a more open sandal, like Tevas. I got the Lands' End "sneaker" type shoe and two things made me dispise them....A.) my feet got kind of swollen (which is fairly common while travelling, especially to warm climates) and they were TIGHT, resulting in major blisters and B.) the insoles ended up slipping out, almost detaching, which meant I was screwing with them a LOT of the time. I can't recommend them at ALL.

We brought water shoes because our Caribbean itenerary involved 3 ports of snorkeling. We used our water shoes for walking on the beach. In the water, you use fins so the water shoes were not used for those trips.

In Honduras after a wonderful snorkeling trip at Fins and Flippers, we left our water shoes with a local family. They really appreciated them and we didn't have to carry wet water shoes back onboard.

I've taken water shoes on every cruise we've been on. I've yet to use them.

I either wear walking shoes or go barefoot. When we kayaked I just left my shoes on the dock and went barefoot (the cool water that got into the boat felt really good on my feet). When snorkeling, as someone else pointed out, you will be wearing fins anyway.

I would think that you would definitely want some good walking or hiking shoes for the hiking trip anyway.

We always have our watershoes on the ports, just in case! Some of those beaches have so many rocks and pebbles, it hurts the bottom of your feet just to get into the water! Also, when we went cave tubing in Belize, we had to put our things in lockers, and hike up the rain forest to get to the top of the river. I saw some people who went barefoot and would have paid us $100 just to use our watershoes for 10 minutes!

We bought the ones resembling tennis shoes from Land's End and absolutely love them! I haven't had a problem with my insoles (nor my husband's pair) and mine fit perfectly. We actually would wear them as tennis shoes (ie with socks), then just remove the socks when we got into the water. Because they are so good, we never even bring our real tennis shoes anymore....which helps with packing a little more lightly!

Last year, I wore my water shoes and my cousin wore flipflops, at the end of the first excursions she was miserable and barefoot. The next day she wore her sneakers and complained about the sand in her in soles. I was just fine in my water shoes and picked up two extra pair at the end of the summer :D

Welcome to the world of cruising! We went on the Destiny for our Honeymoon three years ago this summer and will be going on cruise number 4!

Enjoy!

We are leaving on our honeymoon (and first) cruise on the 20th!! Yay!, it's finally here!!

We are set to sail on Destiny for the southern Caribbean. My question is this..we are going to do a hike, kayak, and snorkel excursion in St. Thomas. Should I get water shoes for something like that??

We bought the ones resembling tennis shoes from Land's End and absolutely love them! I haven't had a problem with my insoles (nor my husband's pair) and mine fit perfectly. We actually would wear them as tennis shoes (ie with socks), then just remove the socks when we got into the water. Because they are so good, we never even bring our real tennis shoes anymore....which helps with packing a little more lightly!

Were the shoes that you wore the "Trekker"? I'm looking for a water shoe to wear at Atlantis - would they let you wear tennis shoe type? I read that watershoes are fine. I would hate to get there and not be able to get in the lazy river with them on - or kiddy pool!

Archived